DazToHue 1.0 is out now!

Comments

• faseceroofaseceroo Posts: 11
    edited April 2023

Stunning, it gives very good results in the poses I’ve tried. The only issue I see is when turning the wrist, it shows the candy wrapper effect a little. I suppose we need to add to the pose assets a few wrist rotations at different hand heights.

imagen.jpg
    76 x 155 - 5K
    Post edited by faseceroo on
  • faseceroo said:

Stunning, it gives very good results in the poses I’ve tried. The only issue I see is when turning the wrist, it shows the candy wrapper effect a little. I suppose we need to add to the pose assets a few wrist rotations at different hand heights.

Thanks @faseceroo

The wrist bones in Daz and IRL aren't meant to twist very much at all. Daz limits them to 10 degrees only, which isn't enough to need a corrective morph IMO.  Most of the twisting should be driven by the the lower arm bones and tweaked using their assiciated twist bones.

I'm working on a control rig to make it easy to animate the figures inside Unreal.

• mrpdean_7efbae9610mrpdean_7efbae9610 Posts: 113
    edited May 2023

Something different for a change :)

Post edited by mrpdean_7efbae9610 on
  • dpresslerdpressler Posts: 9

Thank you for working on this project! Can you explain how the alembic file contributes to the tool, I know you mentioned it durring the tutorials but I can't find it. I am working my way through the tutorials again, very helpful. I am trying to rebuild the Daz HD details as a morph in Houdini.I have used the tool to bring in a SubDivision 4 charater that I am attempting to reduce polycount on but I'm stuck trying to wrap my head around morphs in Houdini.

edited May 2023

dpressler said:

Thank you for working on this project! Can you explain how the alembic file contributes to the tool, I know you mentioned it durring the tutorials but I can't find it. I am working my way through the tutorials again, very helpful. I am trying to rebuild the Daz HD details as a morph in Houdini.I have used the tool to bring in a SubDivision 4 charater that I am attempting to reduce polycount on but I'm stuck trying to wrap my head around morphs in Houdini.

Basically the alembic version of the character is used as the target for generating corrective morphs. So, for each frame in the ROM animation, the assets will calculate the difference between the vertex positions of the FBX character and those of the alembic character. Those differences between the vertex positions (the deltas) are then used to generate the corrective morphs.

I'm a little unclear on what your overall objective is so it's difficult to make any suggestions.  Are you intending to export out to Unreal or are you wanting to stay within Houdini and use the morphs there?

• dpresslerdpressler Posts: 9

I am interested learning how to use the morphs inside Houdini. Ultimately I am going to send crowds to Unreal but first I am trying to wrap my head around the morphs in Houdini. It was hard enough deciphering how Maya handles morphs. Your tool is amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. It's frustrating not being able to fully take advantage of the Daz characters outside of Daz. They offer amazing content in a limited 3D package. I would love to see how you built the HDA but I understand why you would want to lock the nodes. Some things are difficult to learn in Houdini, they don't have the best documentation and advanced character rigging is mysterious. Artists like Marc Albrecht have also made amazing strides into the Daz to Houdini world only to stop short of the finish line for personal reasons. It’s frustrating, I am hoping Houdini 20 bridges some of these gaps through expanding kinefx. Your tutorials have been extremly helpful, if possible can you make a tutorial expaining how you could use the data in Houdini? Connect the morphs in Houdini?  Keep up the awesome work and I look forward to seeing what’s next.

• dpressler said:

I am interested learning how to use the morphs inside Houdini. Ultimately I am going to send crowds to Unreal but first I am trying to wrap my head around the morphs in Houdini. It was hard enough deciphering how Maya handles morphs. Your tool is amazing and I can't wait to see where it goes from here. It's frustrating not being able to fully take advantage of the Daz characters outside of Daz. They offer amazing content in a limited 3D package. I would love to see how you built the HDA but I understand why you would want to lock the nodes. Some things are difficult to learn in Houdini, they don't have the best documentation and advanced character rigging is mysterious. Artists like Marc Albrecht have also made amazing strides into the Daz to Houdini world only to stop short of the finish line for personal reasons. It’s frustrating, I am hoping Houdini 20 bridges some of these gaps through expanding kinefx. Your tutorials have been extremly helpful, if possible can you make a tutorial expaining how you could use the data in Houdini? Connect the morphs in Houdini?  Keep up the awesome work and I look forward to seeing what’s next.

I hear you.  There aren't many good tutorials on advanced character rigging in Houdini.  Most of the good ones are based on the older obj level techniques and not Kinefx and they're either super complex e.g full-on muscle and skin simulations etc or very basic examples. What I think we really need is something akin to the Pose Driver node in Unreal Engine but for Kinefx, to drive blendshapes based on joint rotations. No doubt someone cleverer than me could create one but I've looked into it a couple of times and the maths for things like radial basis functions is a bit beyond me at the moment :) I too am hoping that Houdini 20 adds some of these missing features. They've hinted that many big things are coming for Kinefx but haven't given any specifics that I'm aware of.

The best I could probably do for you at the moment would be to show you a method for adding the morphs onto the character in Houdini and driving them by adjusting sliders. But they wouldn't automatically get applied based on joint rotations unless you wrote some expressions or came up with some other method for controlling the weights for each morph based on joint rotations.  Let me know if that is something you would like to see and I can record a short video for it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Houdini supports DQS, same as Daz Studio, so depending on how you were planning to get your crowd sim into Unreal, you may not need that many morphs. You could probably just use the existing corrective morphs from Daz, along with DQS if, for example, you were going to send the crowd to Unreal using an Alembic cache etc.

• This is really great work! I've been trying this out recently, and I've had problems with the 'Additional Animations' option. When the additional animations pass through and are exported from the 'DazToHueExport' node, they don't match, and in some cases, the arms and neck of the daz characters are severely deformed. Although I first noticed this Unreal, I checked the fbx file in Houdini, and the skeleton has the same problems before the Unreal import. I'm using the Genesis 8.1 female base character.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a best practice for this process?

• playbox1671 said:

This is really great work! I've been trying this out recently, and I've had problems with the 'Additional Animations' option. When the additional animations pass through and are exported from the 'DazToHueExport' node, they don't match, and in some cases, the arms and neck of the daz characters are severely deformed. Although I first noticed this Unreal, I checked the fbx file in Houdini, and the skeleton has the same problems before the Unreal import. I'm using the Genesis 8.1 female base character.

Oh darn it!  Apologies playbox167 and everyone else.  I left out a critical piece of information in the tutorials regarding additional information.

That is, the first frame of the animation must be the default Daz figure pose, otherwise what you describe happens.

So, I always start my animations in Daz on frame 1, leaving frame 0 as the default figure pose. Then inside Unreal engine I just trim off the first frame of the animation.

Sorry about missing that critical step in the tutorials.

Please let me know if that solves it for you.

• I've decided to set up a discord server for DazToHue support, advice, discussions etc.

https://discord.gg/Y7T8XBa9FK

• yes, thanks! that worked!

mrpdean_7efbae9610 said:

playbox1671 said:

This is really great work! I've been trying this out recently, and I've had problems with the 'Additional Animations' option. When the additional animations pass through and are exported from the 'DazToHueExport' node, they don't match, and in some cases, the arms and neck of the daz characters are severely deformed. Although I first noticed this Unreal, I checked the fbx file in Houdini, and the skeleton has the same problems before the Unreal import. I'm using the Genesis 8.1 female base character.

Oh darn it!  Apologies playbox167 and everyone else.  I left out a critical piece of information in the tutorials regarding additional information.

That is, the first frame of the animation must be the default Daz figure pose, otherwise what you describe happens.

So, I always start my animations in Daz on frame 1, leaving frame 0 as the default figure pose. Then inside Unreal engine I just trim off the first frame of the animation.

Sorry about missing that critical step in the tutorials.

Please let me know if that solves it for you.

• zhihengzhiheng Posts: 10

It seems to be quite complex to use, hope there will be more automated scripts and new tutorials available.

edited May 2023

zhiheng said:

It seems to be quite complex to use, hope there will be more automated scripts and new tutorials available.

Which part are you having trouble with?  Perhaps I can help, either here or on the Discord server: https://discord.gg/Y7T8XBa9FK

There will certainly be more tutorials coming in future, but these will likely cover more advanced topics. I probably won't make more tutorials covering the basics, unless the process changes significantly in a future release.

If by "automated scripts", you're referring to Daz scripts, that's not likely to happen with the exception of automating the export process, assuming I can find a way to do it. There will likely be more presets and example ROM animations coming in future releases though.

My general philosophy while building this workflow has been to automate things as much as I can (using Houdini), up to the point of taking control away from users. If I try to automated past that point I have to start making assumptions about how people want to develop and use their characters, which is something that bugged me about some of the other workflows that exist.

To quote myself from the first post in this thread:

DazToHue is not meant to be a one-click solution for transferring Daz characters to game engines. It trades simplicity for complete flexibility in all aspects of how to want to set up your characters.

There are other workflows such as DazToUnreal or DTL which are arguably simpler to use that you might want to look into. All of the different solutions have their pros and cons.

• Unfortunately there was a bug in the skeleton node in release 0.2 so i've just uploaded a hotfix to resovle this issue.

• DazToHue 0.3 has been released.

See first post for details.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited September 2023

hello i've found some interesting tutorials which maybe can help fix the issue about "bone based" morphs targets not working when exporting to unreal

the first one is using  only mesh morpher(a unreal engine plugin)

Link removed

the second one also need blender.

Link removed

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • Unfortunately both videos fall foul of the rulles regarding nudity.

edited September 2023

edit: hmm nvm just forget it.

• Any link to the videos is going to fail the toS - you could simply give the uploader's name,  so that people can search if they wish to.

edited September 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

Any link to the videos is going to fail the toS - you could simply give the uploader's name,  so that people can search if they wish to.

O.o i'm not linking video just the channel, you can't even do that???? wtf. 

here search those users

Peter Shoferistov

Pug Life Studio

• Very useful tutorials for the bone based morphs, thanks

• jpalaciofxjpalaciofx Posts: 2
    edited September 2023

Hello everyone,

I'm encountering an issue when trying to open a file in Houdini, and I was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot it. When I attempt to load the file, I receive the following warnings:

Warning: Problem while synchronizing child node: Warning: Skipping unrecognized parameter "axissystem".
    Skipping unrecognized parameter "convertaxis".
    Skipping unrecognized parameter "computesmoothinggroups".

[/obj/DazToHue/DazToHueExport/export_character/EXPORT_Character]

Warning: Skipping unrecognized parameter "axissystem".

[/obj/DazToHue/DazToHueExport/export_character/EXPORT_Character_With_Rom]

Skipping unrecognized parameter "computesmoothinggroups". [/obj/DazToHue/DazToHueExport/export_additional_animations/rop_export_additional_animation]

I have verified that my license is in order, but I'm not sure what's causing these warning messages related to unrecognized parameters. Has anyone experienced a similar issue before or have any ideas on how to resolve it?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Screenshot_3.png
    1885 x 957 - 554K
    Post edited by jpalaciofx on
  • When I go to the DazToHueSkin node, the same thing happens with the DazToHueSkin, can someone tell me what is happening?

Screenshot_2.png
    2540 x 1352 - 2M
  • the discord link is not valid :) i want to join

i use genesis 8 female and the head is like this. is this importer only work for genesis 8.1 and 9?

Screenshot_7.png
    1524 x 698 - 1M

yeah the discord link is not working!!!!.

edited October 2023

jpalaciofx said:

Hello everyone,

I'm encountering an issue when trying to open a file in Houdini, and I was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot it. When I attempt to load the file, I receive the following warnings:

Warning: Problem while synchronizing child node: Warning: Skipping unrecognized parameter "axissystem".

[/obj/DazToHue/DazToHueExport/export_character/EXPORT_Character]

[/obj/DazToHue/DazToHueExport/export_character/EXPORT_Character_With_Rom]

Skipping unrecognized parameter "computesmoothinggroups". [/obj/DazToHue/DazToHueExport/export_additional_animations/rop_export_additional_animation]

I have verified that my license is in order, but I'm not sure what's causing these warning messages related to unrecognized parameters. Has anyone experienced a similar issue before or have any ideas on how to resolve it?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in

advance for your assistance!

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't often check back here and for some reason I'm not getting any notifications for this thread.

Judging by the screen shot, it appears you are using the free Houdini Apprentice.  Unfortunately this workflow doesn't work with Houdini Apprentice.  It requires Houdini Indie or higher.

That may be the cause of the error, but even if it's not, you won't be able to export the files as exporting is disabled in Houdini Apprentice edition.

Happy to continue investigating over on discord:  https://discord.gg/f7ABaZeEz

• Ellessarr said:

yeah the discord link is not working!!!!.

Sorry, the invite links only last for 30 days for some annoying reason.

Try this one:  https://discord.gg/f7ABaZeEz

• riki.risnandar said:

the discord link is not valid :) i want to join

i use genesis 8 female and the head is like this. is this importer only work for genesis 8.1 and 9?

There's not enough info in that screen shot for me to tell what's going on.

Happy to look into it further over on discord:  https://discord.gg/f7ABaZeEz

• i have problem when i switch view in houdini to daztohue skin model changes from textures to uv maps, how can i fix it?

• Discord link says invalid or expired :(