Cloth morph linked to Genesis figure morph

Hi there,

I wondered if, in Daz Studio, it is possible to link a morph in a piece of clothing to another morph existing in the Genesis figure. For instance, if I have a shirt modeled  against the default G3 shape, with a morph correcting some weird shape coming out when the V7 shape is turned on in the G3 figure, can I ERC-link the two morphs? I looks impossible in the property hierarchy window as I see only one figure at a time.

I suppose one way could be to use the transfer utility against a shape, but that would limit the possibilities, as the basic shape would have to be modeled against V7, and other shapes could turn out weird

Comments

• Give the shirt a V7 morph of its own and then yes, you can link the correction to that. It should also be possible to create a cross-figure link by multi-selection, and have it apply correctly if you save the item as a waerables preset.

• meipemeipe Posts: 101

Thank you Richard, the multi-selection does the trick to establish the link on the current figure. However, something must go wrong when I save the wearable preset... When I load it gain on another G3 figure the ERC link has gone.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

You probably have to freeze the ERC before you save it...I haven't tried any of these, so I'm not 100% sure, but everything else done with ERC does need the freeze in order for it to actually save the ERC links.

• ERC Freeze is just one way to create a link - doing it manually with the Parameters pane in Edit mode and the Property Hierarchy pane is another.

meipe wil it save correctly in a Scene subset?

mjc1016 said:

You probably have to freeze the ERC before you save it...I haven't tried any of these, so I'm not 100% sure, but everything else done with ERC does need the freeze in order for it to actually save the ERC links.

Unfortuntely I can't figure out how ERC freeze between two figures... I must be missing something, even if both nodes are selected the ERC freeze options allow you only to freeze properties on one node.

What I did is to drag and drop the controlling G3 morph onto the controlled morph (controllers->1st stage). It creates the links neatly, and by default it is saved into the controlled morph. But when I save the wearable, something goes wrong. Into the wearable morph .dsf, the link formula is there, but reference to the controller morph is canceled, there is just a pair of empty brackets:

"operations" : [
                            { "op" : "push", "url" : "" }, 

So, I tried to paste into the brackets the reference to the controller morph, that I copied from an internal G3 ERC link. But it's useless, when I load the wearable, the link cannot be established... :(

ERC Freeze is just one way to create a link - doing it manually with the Parameters pane in Edit mode and the Property Hierarchy pane is another.

That's good to know...

meipe said:
    mjc1016 said:

Unfortuntely I can't figure out how ERC freeze between two figures... I must be missing something, even if both nodes are selected the ERC freeze options allow you only to freeze properties on one node.

What I did is to drag and drop the controlling G3 morph onto the controlled morph (controllers->1st stage). It creates the links neatly, and by default it is saved into the controlled morph. But when I save the wearable, something goes wrong. Into the wearable morph .dsf, the link formula is there, but reference to the controller morph is canceled, there is just a pair of empty brackets:

"operations" : [
                            { "op" : "push", "url" : "" }, 

So, I tried to paste into the brackets the reference to the controller morph, that I copied from an internal G3 ERC link. But it's useless, when I load the wearable, the link cannot be established... :(

But it does work before the save?

The needed info isn't being saved, so no, it won't reload.

mjc1016 said:
    But it does work before the save?

Yes, it works perfectly before saving the asset...

ERC Freeze is just one way to create a link - doing it manually with the Parameters pane in Edit mode and the Property Hierarchy pane is another.

meipe wil it save correctly in a Scene subset?

No, even if I save both G3 and the linked piece of clothing in the scene subset... When I load back the scene subset, the link is broken.

• Well, the other thing to try is creating a custom V7 morph - then you can link your adjustment to that (or if it shoudl always be on just incorporate it in the V7 morph itself).

Well, the other thing to try is creating a custom V7 morph - then you can link your adjustment to that (or if it shoudl always be on just incorporate it in the V7 morph itself).

I looks interesting... how exactly do you do that? You mean a custom V7 morph in the wearable that would load instead of the autofit morph created 'on the fly'?

• Yes, you can export the auto-generated morph as a starting point.

Yes, you can export the auto-generated morph as a starting point.

But is such wearable V7 morph can automatically be called when G3's V7 morph is dialed on? Otherwise the user will have to manually dial two morphs, one on G3, one on the wearable, which is annoying.

Autofollow needs to be on and I believe the custom morph has to have the same name as the generated on that autofollow would use.

• Yes, the name  (not just the label) must match - you can get the name by clicking the gear icon on the slider and Seelcting Parameters Settings from the menu.

mjc1016 said:

Autofollow needs to be on and I believe the custom morph has to have the same name as the generated on that autofollow would use.

Yes, the name  (not just the label) must match - you can get the name by clicking the gear icon on the slider and Seelcting Parameters Settings from the menu.

It works, thank you!!! Only thing, the morph asset on the cloth have to be saved before testing it dialing up the shape on G3... Otherwise the auto-generated morph replaces the custom one. :)