Buy something I don't want to get a better price on an Item I do want sales?

lenwilderlenwilder Posts: 188
edited September 2015 in The Commons

Am I alone... I just don't get it. 

Does anyone actually like these types of sales?

Why can't it be a buy something at a discounted price I do want and a better price on a bonus item I don't really want.

Post edited by lenwilder on

Comments

• AtiAti Posts: 9,128

I do the math, and if it's worth it, then I go for it. If it's not worth it, or risky because I have no idea what's coming tomorrow, then I'm out.

Today I got an extra hair. :D It will surely be used sometime in the future. I didn't really need it now, wasn't on my list of items to buy, but the math was clear: if I buy it, I can save more than what it costs. And have an extra hair I can use later... :)

• dont buy stuff you don't want. unless you really want to do the math and see if it all adds up. I wouldn't worry about it.

• lenwilderlenwilder Posts: 188
    edited September 2015

dont buy stuff you don't want. unless you really want to do the math and see if it all adds up. I wouldn't worry about it.

So, are you saying you like these types of sales?

Why can't it be a buy something at a discounted price I do want and a better price on a bonus item I don't really want?

Post edited by lenwilder on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

we have no control over the sales. don't worry about it so much. we aren't entitled to any sales. if it works, go for it. if not, there are otehr ways to spend time :) I haven't bought anything but 2 bucks worth of hair, so I might not be the best person to ask.

Or, I might be teh best person to learn from ;) Depends on your perspective.

assuming I'm not teaching grammer or spellin'

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Yeah, I'm just leaving it well alone to be honest. It doesn't feel like a good deal at all to me. Best to save my money for when a proper sale comes along wink

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506

The sales and discounts heavily favor those who spend more at the store than those that do not. If you're not in the market for a lot of items, then by no means should you buy items you don't want for things you do want. You'll just spend way more money than necessary.

However, if there are many items from certain PAs, especially on their back catalogs, that you *do* want, then it does make sense for you to buy a couple of items here and there so that you *can* get massive discounts later on.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Some people are going to like what's being offered as rev-up items (Daz3d wouldn't be wasting their time offering it if they thought there weren't a lot of people who would), and some people like "the thrill of the chase", figuring out how to get the best discounts.  Personally, if there's something I want and it gives me a rev-up, that's a nice bonus; if I'm on the line about it, the rev-up might push me over the edge; but if it's not something I want, I just ignore it and wait for something that's more to my liking.

• Are the biggest discounts in this sale all that massive though? Looks like the most you can achieve is 64% off, which is fairly usual by Daz standards. They have PA catalogues come up as 60% off all the time - and you don't even have to buy stuff you don't want in those sales.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,128
    tl155180 said:

Are the biggest discounts in this sale all that massive though? Looks like the most you can achieve is 64% off, which is fairly usual by Daz standards. They have PA catalogues come up as 60% off all the time - and you don't even have to buy stuff you don't want in those sales.

If you also get a gift card at 12% off, then the 64% is up to 68.3%. Okay, not that much of a difference, but if you spend a lot, it can mean a lot of savings.

And if you're PC+ you can use the Save6 coupon on back-catalog items and get as much as 79% off.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited September 2015

You can use that coupon with any of the 60% sales too though and at least with those you're only buying what you really want. This rev sale is too much hassle and not enough incentive over regular sales from my perspective. I'm steering well clear.

Is this what the whole PA festival is going to be, or do they change up the sale at some point?

Its like they asked Jean-Ralphio to create a sale for them laugh

Post edited by tl155180 on
    edited September 2015

They might keep things up their sleeve. Just check back each day for a few minutes. protip: Especially check back at the very end, and often at the 2 week mark....just in case. no promises. But if you miss something along the way, don't blame me...

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,225
    edited September 2015

tl155180 said:

Are the biggest discounts in this sale all that massive though? Looks like the most you can achieve is 64% off, which is fairly usual by Daz standards. They have PA catalogues come up as 60% off all the time - and you don't even have to buy stuff you don't want in those sales.

Those largest sales are mainly back catalog.  What the PA sale offers is the ability to purchase at a better discount on brand new items. 

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • So far the sale hasn't offered anything that tempted me to participate. I'm only going to buy something to further my sale price if it means a better discount and its cheaper when i buy the item than without.

I've been around a while so back catalog stuff and discount on PC Club  items isn't as tempting because I have most of those items already.

• So far the sale hasn't offered anything that tempted me to participate. I'm only going to buy something to further my sale price if it means a better discount and its cheaper when i buy the item than without.

I've been around a while so back catalog stuff and discount on PC Club  items isn't as tempting because I have most of those items already.

hehe. I remember when you were green. Now you sound like an oldtimer. I don't know if I should welcome you to the club or scorn you for having sucha massive stockpile of content.

•  

tl155180 said:

Those largest sales are mainly back catalog.  What the PA sale offers is the ability to purchase at a better discount on brand new items. 

Thanks for the clarification Cris. I can see how this would appeal to the heavy-spending pro-artists who probably already have most of what they want from the back catalogue and tend to buy up everything they like the look of right away... but personally I'm a patient man so I almost never feel the impulse to buy something just because its new.

Plus I'm one of those people who didn't invest in G3, so there isn't much coming out these days that I'm interested in. Most of the stuff I want is back-catalogue.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,936
    Please remember the "no returns" policy on this sale. If you buy something you are unsure about during the sale, you can't return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    barbult said:
    Please remember the "no returns" policy on this sale. If you buy something you are unsure about during the sale, you can't return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

It's why I wait a few hours after adding something to the basket; look on it as a variation of: act in haste, repent at your leisure.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
    edited August 2017

-

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Some people are going to like what's being offered as rev-up items (Daz3d wouldn't be wasting their time offering it if they thought there weren't a lot of people who would), and some people like "the thrill of the chase", figuring out how to get the best discounts.  Personally, if there's something I want and it gives me a rev-up, that's a nice bonus; if I'm on the line about it, the rev-up might push me over the edge; but if it's not something I want, I just ignore it and wait for something that's more to my liking.

After all my time here as a customer, this is honestly the best attitude for not going crazy during a sale.

Since I decided to buy Scott's starter pack, my available funds for the PA sale are significantly limited (I knew this would be the case when I decided that supporting Guystuff with the bonus of a body type I needed right then was more important to me than being able to participate regularly in the PA sale)  I picked up the weekly freebie, and the one PC hair.  If it happens that something I want/can use comes up before my Rev Up goes back down to 0 - bonus.  If not, ah well.

HorusRa said:

This is THE big event? Looks more like the little useless event. Tired of seeing all the item repeats already.

Repeats?

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694

This is another less than strirring PA sale.  Without all the smoke and mirrors aka rev ups, the sale is a basic 40% off PA items with a "no return" clause in the fine print.  Silly me but what was wrong with putting X PA's stores on sale for half off for one and they having one or two days were every PA store was half off? 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    icprncss said:

Silly me but what was wrong with putting X PA's stores on sale for half off for one and they having one or two days were every PA store was half off? 

You paid less and Daz earned less ...;o)

Yeah ... not buying either ...

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    Kerya said:
    icprncss said:

Silly me but what was wrong with putting X PA's stores on sale for half off for one and they having one or two days were every PA store was half off? 

You paid less and Daz earned less ...;o)

Yeah ... not buying either ...

Actually, DAZ would make more from me.  I have select number of vendors I purchase from regularly.  I'm not going to take a chance on a lesser known vendor if I don't have the return guarantee.  I've dropped a hundred or more on the one day, all PA's half off sale on the vendors who rarely put their stores on sale easily.  Most of what's being offered will end up in a flash sale or another higher off sale later.  It's rare that I can't wait the market.

•  

hehe. I remember when you were green. Now you sound like an oldtimer. I don't know if I should welcome you to the club or scorn you for having sucha massive stockpile of content.

Heh! Both? Although I'm not sure how mighty my runtime is... I know others with more goodies. I just only need so much of certain things. And right now the G3Female focus is not tickling my fancy.  That will change when more sci-fi and male items are released.

For back catalog, I've got most of what I want unless it is drastically reduced. I don't want to spend a whole bunch of time fixing stuff or converting it, which is mostly what I do when I buy an old item. So, to make that worh my while the cost has to be lower. .

• I bought a pair of sandals today since shoes don't autofit so well and I'm lazy. I've been really controlled. I think that was the first piece of G3F clothing i bought. And I was surprised that the Anime BattleSuit for Keiko got upgraded to be G3F compatible. That was an awesome suprise. 

• Really? I like the Keiko suit. That also fits pretty well on the male characters... 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

And I was surprised that the Anime BattleSuit for Keiko got upgraded to be G3F compatible. That was an awesome suprise. 

Yes - I thought so too!

Looking at DIM and seeing the BattleSuit got an update for G3F for free was a really nice surprise!

• There will (based on previous years) be some nice new relases and who knows, M7 may launch partway through or near the end. There will also be PAs that participate whose stores rarely if ever go on sale. With the blue categoryy, you can also strategize and hold on an item in case nothing intersting shows up later or use one you wre on the fence about from previous days to keep the rev points up. 64% off a *new* Stonemason item sounds good to me. Keep in mind you only need to purchase one item REv item to keep your rev score up, so it may be worth buying the cheapest item if there are none you like to keep your score going. BTW, I am trying to avoid the PA stores on sale to keep my spending down -- I expect a few days with several items I want. Though there are a few wish list items I will grab when the time is right. And if Stonemason particpates that would be 64% off his store (but maybe the China set jsut before the PA sale was as close as he will get). Anyway, do what works best for you!

edited September 2015

i think they would say M7 for the PC sale... since its a DO

stranger things have happened.