Gpu not responding during Iray render

I Just got a new PC with an upgraded video card Nvidia 980 and noticed while testing a render that the GPU load was at 0 with a temp of 41C. Why does this happen? I noticed the same issue with my old Nvidia 660 and just figured my card was on its way out? Anyone else notice this? I used TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.8.5. I tried setting it to use my Geforce GTX 980 on both options and then back to CPU and video card with no change.

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

How much ram does that card have?

Does your render use more than that much?

iray will use CPU if you go over the amount of ram your card has.

• Card has 4gb of memory and the scene was only using 1.1 gb

• I am using the same card at the moment. I am running ASUS GeForce GTX980 OC and while it isn't the best card for rendering 3D it does work. JPayne2014, the physical memory has little or no effect when rendering still images - rather - it acts like a buffer for textures. It is the CUDA cores and the type of processing ECC or nonECC that will give you a better rendering time. My guess is that either the card is

A. not enabled through the advanced settings in DAZ3D and is on CPU only

B. You have a completely faulty card (unlikely)

C. or it isn't in the right PCI-e lane and needs to be correctly installed in the lane and then enabled in the BIOS. 

• SoneSone Posts: 84

In the render advanced settings tab....do you only have the 980 checked off? Do not have the CPU checked with it. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Make sure your drivers are up-to-date

• Sone said:

In the render advanced settings tab....do you only have the 980 checked off? Do not have the CPU checked with it. 

Both should be checked. GPU and CPU should be working together.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

In addition to making sure the card is selected in the Advanced tab, after a quick render go to Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File. Go to the bottom for the last render. If Iray could not use the card it'll say why. The exact nature of the problem may be cryptic, but that'll provide useful information to determine the fault.

• Updating the driver to 355.82, shutting off PhysX and CPU option appeared to get the needed attention from the GPU. GPU load is 98-99% the entire render now and temp around 80C. No issues in the log as someone had brought up earlier. 

• JPayneJPayne Posts: 79
    edited September 2015

Actually, this is still an issue where the GPU render is not working and CPU takes over. Even after updating the driver and turning off CPU and PhysX, Studio will intermittently go to CPU rather than GPU. Seems random where sometimes GPU will work and other times it won't. As mentioned earlier on this same issue I had the same problem with a different card on a different PC.

The scene is well under the cards memory maximum allowance maxing out around 3GB's. I'd be quite curious if other folks using GPU-Z 0.8.5 noticed this phenomenon.

Post edited by JPayne on
  • Hi, I am having the exact same issue, usually the first frame or so in a movie or image seq render will go very quickly using my 2 x gtx 780ti, but then it seems to go to CPU. Sometimes it seems to be straight to cpu, my scenes are very simple. monitoring the cars the activity seems to be 0. I will try shutting off physics. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

• ps. I was also using gpu-z to monitor

• I've found that it's a video card memory issue. A memory leak I guess. Once the memory is used up it doesn't like to let it go. The only way I get beyond that is to save just before a render and close DS and reopen the scene. Usually, the memory has reset and any textures that aren't being used won't be cached. Try and toss out anything in the scene you're not using. Because even if it's invisible the textures will still get loaded. I use GPU-Z religiously as it can predict a crash coming when you see it move to CPU render only. So, obviously, more video ram is key if you can afford a new card with 8GB of ram you'll be cooking with gas. But, I get away with 4 GB until it fills.