Reducing CPU use on your Mac

I recently made sure my two browsers: Firefox and Safari, start up at 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit.  After I did that, DAZ Studio 4.8 did a 3Delight render in little under 3 hours.  It still acted like it was going to freeze but, when I came back -- instead of seeing the render partially done, the render was completely done.  And this is on a 2010 Macbook, with 4GB RAM and running Snow Leopard OSX.

Converting a Mac OS program from 64 bit to 32 bit

This is always a good idea to make your browsers, probably the programs you use constantly, load at 32 bits instead of 64.  It's simple:

1. Go into Finder.

2. Double click on Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or whatever.

3. click on Get Info.

4. In the window that pops up, under General, click on "Open in 32-bit mode."

5. Close the window and open your browser.  It will reduce CPU use by 75%. IF you are still using Renderman's 3Delight, this will reduce CPU use and make more memory available for DAZ Studio Pro to do its job. I don't know what performance gain you will get using Iray, but it should also jump, even if you aren't using a CUDAs and just the CPU.

Comments

• ChuckMChuckM Posts: 129

This sounds like a great idea but I don't see any place to change from 64 or 32 bits within the Get info pannel. There isn't any place (that I can see) under General to make the changes. Could you put up a couple of screen shots?