Unreal Engine MasterClass Series [commercial]

DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
edited February 2023 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Unreal engine is the absolute future of 3D. Ask any other program to deliver millions of triangles, real time physics, particle effects, animation controls, Lumen lighting, IK control rigs, camera controls and realistic environments without blinking an eye…I can, it’s Unreal Engine!

Paired with Daz Studio and the DazToUnreal plugin you can finally see your creations come to life in real time!

Is it any wonder all of the top games are being created inside of Unreal now? If you are a 3D artist and haven’t ventured into the Unreal engine, or you are a complete novice and know nothing about the program…I invite you to join me on a fantastical journey!

https://www.daz3d.com/unreal-engine-masterclass-series-1

https://www.daz3d.com/unreal-engine-master-class-series-2

https://www.daz3d.com/unreal-engine-masters-class-series-3

https://www.daz3d.com/unreal-engine-master-class-04

https://www.daz3d.com/unreal-engine-master-class-series-bundle

UnrealMasterClass1_popup_03.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 249K
Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on

Comments

• So pleased to see this series. I could not agree with you more that Unreal is the future. Such an incredible and powerful tool. I'm planning to buy your series next month.

THANKS

• I'm picking this up for sure today as UnReal is something I've been really wanting to learn for some of my projects. My question is, and it's not a deal breaker as it looks like you show how to animate in UnReal which ultimately is what I care about, but if I had an animation from Blender or Maya, would it be covered in the course how to bring in those keyframes to a character in UnReal, or will it not matter as I'd be able to do all of my animation perfectly fine in UnReal with their IK setup? 

• thedoctor said:

So pleased to see this series. I could not agree with you more that Unreal is the future. Such an incredible and powerful tool. I'm planning to buy your series next month.

THANKS

Great...I hope you enjoy it! smiley

• benniewoodell said:

I'm picking this up for sure today as UnReal is something I've been really wanting to learn for some of my projects. My question is, and it's not a deal breaker as it looks like you show how to animate in UnReal which ultimately is what I care about, but if I had an animation from Blender or Maya, would it be covered in the course how to bring in those keyframes to a character in UnReal, or will it not matter as I'd be able to do all of my animation perfectly fine in UnReal with their IK setup? 

Happy to hear you are thinking about picking this tutorial series up!

You would want fbx animations. The challenge will be does the skeletal bone structure of your Unreal character match the fbx skeletal bone structure of the animation...if it does then you just hook it up inside of Unreal and away you go! (i show how to do this in Series One and Two)

If the skeletal mesh doesn't match you will need to re-target the animations. Luckily for you Series Three is all about creating you very own re-targeter! By learning how to create your own re-targeter you learn how to fix animation issues when they come up. Series Two also has custom control-rigs for G8 and G9 to help you out when you are stitching together different animations. smiley

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited February 2023

I'm one of those complete novices you talk about so I have a couple of questions that I would need to know about before considering buying.

1. Is it possible to use GeoGrafts? Almost all of my characters are fitted with geografts and their corresponding geometry shells..

2. How would cloth simulation work or do the characters need to wear tight-fitting, conforming clothing?

There's also a general question about game engines that I have and that is whether it is possible to hand animate such as I do with the DAZ timeline or, even better, with Blender? I get the impressions that Game engine animations consist of a series of pre-animated movements such as walk, jump, crouch, run, etc.

Post edited by marble on
  • DarkEdgeDesign said:

benniewoodell said:

I'm picking this up for sure today as UnReal is something I've been really wanting to learn for some of my projects. My question is, and it's not a deal breaker as it looks like you show how to animate in UnReal which ultimately is what I care about, but if I had an animation from Blender or Maya, would it be covered in the course how to bring in those keyframes to a character in UnReal, or will it not matter as I'd be able to do all of my animation perfectly fine in UnReal with their IK setup? 

Happy to hear you are thinking about picking this tutorial series up!

You would want fbx animations. The challenge will be does the skeletal bone structure of your Unreal character match the fbx skeletal bone structure of the animation...if it does then you just hook it up inside of Unreal and away you go! (i show how to do this in Series One and Two)

If the skeletal mesh doesn't match you will need to re-target the animations. Luckily for you Series Three is all about creating you very own re-targeter! By learning how to create your own re-targeter you learn how to fix animation issues when they come up. Series Two also has custom control-rigs for G8 and G9 to help you out when you are stitching together different animations. smiley

Wonderful! Thank you so much for letting me know that you address all of this in the series. I just picked up the bundle and I can't wait to delve into this, I'll throw on the first session tomorrow probably. I have two animated projects a client is waiting on and the idea of using UnReal makes me so happy right now to get them done. Thanks again! 

• DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited February 2023

Marble, yes geografts can work you have to do a little work in Daz fixing it to the actual character first before exporting, Unreal has a cloth simulation tool just like weight painting. Hand animating can be done either in conjunction with regular animations or all alone by itself...best/easier to use with a control rig. There's a wealth of information regarding Unreal Engine. The interface is very intuitive like when you want to attach "things" to your character (sockets)...sometimes Unreal is one step ahead of you waiting!

Just like anything else the first time you use it you will be a little "clunky" but you'll quickly catch on. That's why I created this series I'm trying to remove as much of the clunky-ness as possible!

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • cookie514cookie514 Posts: 7
    edited February 2023

I got the series and am working through it.  Love it so far!!

I do have one question: In Master Class 1_3, you walk through retargeting and select the G81FixRotZeroRootIKRetargeter.  Is that something we learn to create in the 3d Class, or should I see it now?

**** CORRECTION ****

In the settings for the Content Browser, you need to have the Show Plugin Content checked.  Sorry about the question.

Post edited by cookie514 on
  • Cookie, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...my wifes birthday! Yes you have it right...Content Browser/Settings/Show Plugin Content. I think I mentioned this during the video but with all the information hitting you it can easily get buried! cheeky

edited February 2023

DarkEdgeDesign said:

Marble, yes geografts can work you have to do a little work in Daz fixing it to the actual character first before exporting, Unreal has a cloth simulation tool just like weight painting. Hand animating can be done either in conjunction with regular animations or all alone by itself...best/easier to use with a control rig. There's a wealth of information regarding Unreal Engine. The interface is very intuitive like when you want to attach "things" to your character (sockets)...sometimes Unreal is one step ahead of you waiting!

Just like anything else the first time you use it you will be a little "clunky" but you'll quickly catch on. That's why I created this series I'm trying to remove as much of the clunky-ness as possible!

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what you mean by "fixing it to the actual character"  - isn;'t the geograft already fixed to the character? I'm also in the dark about such things as control rigs (I did say I'm a complete novice in the wider 3D world such as game engines).

I'm sure all of those interested would like to see some examples of DAZ characters in Unreal - do you have a promo video planned at all?

Post edited by marble on
  • Marble, when you open the product page there are two video links:

Promo- https://youtu.be/w-cnH5p4m1o

Tutorial Video Excerpts- https://youtu.be/3LQ5AI8mwd8

DarkEdgeDesign said:

Marble, when you open the product page there are two video links:

Promo- https://youtu.be/w-cnH5p4m1o

Tutorial Video Excerpts- https://youtu.be/3LQ5AI8mwd8

Sorry, not sure how I missed the videos as I did click on the product pages. I guess the questions in my mind arose before I had finished perusing the page.