Sci-Fi Consoles 2013

Will this work with Studio 4.6? Says 4.8 but also Studio in general, I think. It's too bad that compatability is such a Major issue in all of this. 

Comments

• There is no reason that I can see that it wouldn;t work.,    if it doesn't, you can return it within 30 days and get your money back.

What major issue are you having with compatibility?

• I've been having trouble with Studio not loading the texture maps. Or sometimes they'll load in Studio but when exporting/importing into Bryce they won't transfer. I've tried differemt settings in the dialogs but nothing helps when this happens.  

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

In what way are they not transferring?  They just never arrive, they arrive broken, you get an error message, etc.?

Unless you have a specific need to do an export/import (and hopefully somebody else who does that can offer additional advice), try using the Bryce bridge to see if that can be used to work around your issue.  (select your object in DS, then from the menu select File > "Send to Bryce".)

Depending on the object, it can sometimes take a while (minutes) to transfer, so you might not see anything right away.  And the progress bar isn't necessarily a reliable indicator.

There either is or was some issue where the Bryce screen didn't refresh after sending to Bryce, if that happens all you need to do is do something in Bryce to refresh it (switch views or somethign maybe? just click somewhere in the viewport? can't remember). 

There's also the confusing issue where the bridge can open a second copy of Bryce, so you are looking at one copy and not seeing anything arrive because it sent it to the other.  If that happens, either just switch to the other copy, or alternately start the DS/Bryce bridge from the opposite application.  I usually open a Bryce scene, send a cube to DS to start the bridge, THEN send stuff from DS back to Bryce to avoid this problem.

Materials don't always transfer completely.  Transparency sometimes doesn't work, and you might need to adjust it.  You have to manually fix eyebrows and eyelashes sometimes.  Ambient sometimes gets set to values other than 0, so you'll have to turn that back off after the transfer.

I know when going from Bryce to DAZ Studio, you have to make sure filename for ?objects?materials?both? don't have any spaces or it won't work, which means the default name choices fail and you must change them.  Perhaps the same is true in the opposite direction, I don't know.

• Just as I thought, within Sudio itself, the textures won't load. Says it won't load correctly, can't find, won't work etc. I placed file in My 3D Library and extracted there. This is pure hit and miss adn I'm about done with DAZ. 

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

If the textures shipped in the same package as the product and were all installed to the same place and you didn't move any files manually, and the product itself loads but the texture gives you an error message or is missing, then report it as a content error so they can fix it for you.

If you manually moved files around, possibly something got accidentally moved to the wrong location, it is very easy to do.  If this is the case, you could verify it by temporarily installing the product without moving files and verifying it works that way, then go from there to identify why moving the file caused the problem.

• I manually downloaded to desktop. Placed file in My 3D Library and extracted from there. There's nothing else to do. Sometimes Studio will load textures, others not. Everything I have is in My 3D Library. Unextracted and extracted. Studio finds the items and the icons appear as they should.  

• Will this work with Studio 4.6? Says 4.8 but also Studio in general, I think.

There's a hidden gotcha here — the store page code doesn't have the actual text string "DAZ Studio 4.8", it has a pointer for "insert whatever the current version number is". This is so the web team doesn't have to update every single store page whenever there's a new D|S version. Look at the SKU number and the date, this was definitely made a couple of years ago for a pre-4.8 version of D|S.

The general rule (most of the time) is that if you see the current version number, then the product files are in .duf format for D|S 4.5+. If it only says "DAZ Studio", then it's either older pre-D|S4 compatible files or Poser-only files that should still work.

• Usually when you download on your own, then I'd recommend to extract into a temporary folder first and merge from there. By doing that you actually see, which archive got a subdirectory that you may not want - especially the case for sites other than DAZ.

As for not finding the textures, be sure that the files extracted to the correct places and also that you have your 'My 3D Library' folder added as "Poser" folder to your content folder configuration. Texture files are within the Poser search paths (Runtime/Textures).

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

The important folders to look for are "Runtime" and "Data" -- these have to be directly underneath the folder you have defined as a content folder, e.g. "My DAZ 3D Library".  As long as these two folders are in the correct place, everything else will work fine.

• Can we try this again? Ok, I'll start with the manually downloaded folder on my Desktop. It's sitting there on Desktop. Pleaase type the exact process and place I should put/extract it. 

• Can we try this again? Ok, I'll start with the manually downloaded folder on my Desktop. It's sitting there on Desktop. Pleaase type the exact process and place I should put/extract it. 

First of all, it would be a lot simpler for you if you used DIM (DAZ Install Manager).   If you don't want to use that for some reason, then you need to know where everything goes, and how to extract the ZIP file.

Inside the ZIP file, there will be a folder called 'Content'.   That is just a generic name for the library folder, what you need to do, is empty the contents of the folder called 'Content' into YOUR library folder (I believe you are calling it 'My 3D Library'.   Do NOT put the folder called 'Content' into your My 3D Library folder, you must merge the contents of that folder with what is already there.

The other thing that you need to do, is to make sure that your library folder (My 3D library?) is listed under BOTH DAZ Studio Formats AND Poser Formats in Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager.   If that is not done, DAZ Studio will not be able to see the content that you have installed.

• Ok thanks. 

• Holy batterang. I RE installed the download manager and downloaded/installed through that and viola, it works. Sci Fi Consoles. This process did Not work before so I trashed it, or fired the so called manager.

For anyone. I'm starting to look into splicing captured scenes into my animation sequences. All I can say now is that it's quite a task in deciding How to film just one short sequence. One is me finding a certain book... Now you could film (cinematography) that one scene a thousand different ways!!   

• edited September 2015

Ok I did exact same with Dreadworks III, using install manager. Studio can't even find it. This is what I mean, Everything I attempt has some Variant compatibility issue. 

Edit. They do load. Oddly, the Icons are all grey yet the objects load with their textures....

Post edited by mpam76895_15961369c9 on
  • Ok I did exact same with Dreadworks III, using install manager. Studio can't even find it. This is what I mean, Everything I attempt has some Variant compatibility issue. 

Edit. They do load. Oddly, the Icons are all grey yet the objects load with their textures....

You will find these Dreadworks items in 'Poser Formats', they may not have Metadata, if so they will NOT appear in Smart Content.   To see whether an item has Metadata associated with it or not, look in the Installed tab in DIM and look for a tick mark in the column to the right of the items name.

It is important that you have the paths to your content listed properly in the Content Directory Manager as explained previously.   Poser content must be listed correctly.   If you are not sure, please post a screenshot of your Content Directlry Manager shoinw an expanded listing of Poser and DAZ Studio Formats.

Anything that you install using DIM is easy to locate.   Just go to the Installed tab in DIM, right click on the item you are interested in, select 'Show Installed Files' and you will get a list of clickable links to where the content has been put.