Victoria 7 Victoria 4

I'm just curious as to what the difference in texture resolution is for V4 and V7. I have a low end machine, single core..pretty shitty. I realized that I can render V4 and G2F with Raytrace shadows and all the lighting I want, but with V7 I cant use any light OR shadows. I get a memory error (assuming I run out of ram). Not sure what I can do... any suggestions? Aside from upgrading my machine, I don't have $3,000 to invest into a proper machine right now.

Comments

• V4's HighRes skin textures are at 4000x4000 pixels, V7's are only slightly larger, 4096x4096 pixels. But... (there's always a "but" wink) V7 is shipped with a larger amount of texture maps: Diffuse, Specular, SSS Mask (Map), Bump, Normal; that's five maps for each of the body regions (head, torso, arms, legs). If your problem occurs rendering in Iray, and your graphics card has only 2048 MB (or even less) video memory, than your card has most likely ran out of RAM. Rendering V7 (including a 8000x4000 HDRI for background and lighting) needs around 1700+ MB of Video RAM minimum; that's only her, bare and hairless. In this case you can try and scrap those Specular Maps (they don't meet PBR requirements even close and therefore suck in Iray anyways). And since those SSS Maps really aren't visible in the final render, and also come in a 4096x4096 resolution (for a to me unknown reason; that's the first time that SSS Maps are High Res! What for!? indecision) you could go there and resize them a bit. I resized mine to 1024x1024. Together with the Specular Maps you can save up around 100+ MB this way.

You can render her with a 2048 Mb card, but that's inadvisable, since you need to watch out you only use dresses an hair that either are untextured or use only LowRes textures.

• Really texture size will depend on the vendor - there's nothing set in stone. You can always downsize the images if they are over-taxing for your system, though 3Delight will do that itself and Iray is set to compress images that are large (and you can adjust the threashold values at which it does so in the Advanced tab of Render Settings).

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

V4 had 4096 textures too, depends on the source. The difference between 4000 and 4096 is mip-mapping and game engines. Game engines prefer power of 2 texture sizes. 4000 isn't a a power of 2 number, 4096 is.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Really texture size will depend on the vendor - there's nothing set in stone. You can always downsize the images if they are over-taxing for your system, though 3Delight will do that itself and Iray is set to compress images that are large (and you can adjust the threashold values at which it does so in the Advanced tab of Render Settings).

Thanks, Richard. Until now, every G3F DAZ Original and PA char I've seen so far (except the Base "Genesis 3 Female", which unfortunately doesn't have those SSS maps nor has it official Iray Materials sad) is shipped with those SSS maps in high resolution size. Not that it is that critical, but the one thing I don't understand is why to have them at HighRes in the first palce even if they're barely visible at best.

• Arnold C. said:

Really texture size will depend on the vendor - there's nothing set in stone. You can always downsize the images if they are over-taxing for your system, though 3Delight will do that itself and Iray is set to compress images that are large (and you can adjust the threashold values at which it does so in the Advanced tab of Render Settings).

Thanks, Richard. Until now, every G3F DAZ Original and PA char I've seen so far (except the Base "Genesis 3 Female", which unfortunately doesn't have those SSS maps nor has it official Iray Materials sad) is shipped with those SSS maps in high resolution size. Not that it is that critical, but the one thing I don't understand is why to have them at HighRes in the first palce even if they're barely visible at best.

I imagine it's a mix of marketing (if the maps are lower res than others people may thing the product is inferior) and practicality (it's always possible to downsample, upsampling cannot make up for missing detail).

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

You can always downsize the images if they are over-taxing for your system..

Although it's probably unrelated, any discussion of resolution(s) usually makes me think about the size of rendered files. My computers, that I have tried with DS 4.3 (approx.) to DS 4.8 seem to output DAZ 3D scenes at 96 to 113 dpi; on the application side most vendors that I have encountered — meaning Cafepress, which does posters and t-shirts say, and photo-kiosks like at Wal-Mart — seem to want or encourage 200 dpi or higher.

Also when I click on the Advanced tab in DS 4.8 there doesn't seem to be much there in terms of settings, and the video link http://www.daz3d.com/redirects/studio/4/Video_RenderSettings.php gives me an error 404, "File Not Found".

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

DPI is only meaningful when printing -- a digital image has no DPI.  If you want a DPI of 200, multiply the desired dimensions in inches by 200 and set the dimensions of your render to that number of pixels.  You can use your 2D image processing program to set the DPI in the image data to 200, or set the dimensions when you send it to your printer.