Daz to Unreal Master Class Tutorials

Greets,

So I've been trying to get my Daz character into unreal for over a year now, and when I saw this tutorial I thought to myself okay, I'll try ti to see if there is anything presented that I am missing that is making this so difficult for me. So forty dollars later I'm going through the videos and WHAM, I get broadsided with a few issues that I just cannot get past.

1. The version of Daz to Unreal that the tutor so casually goes to the website and gets, is NOT a version that is available from the download page, or atleast it is not the version I could find. And trust me, the page layout is different, so I'm assuming he has an access that is not covered.
  2. Unreal Engine 5.1 has been out for almost a year now. The version I can find for download is not compatible.
  3. The version I can find and download is not comaptible with G9... either male or female morphed.
  4. There are some points in the tutorials, that while very clear and step by step, you have to stop and go back multiple times with the mindset of 'what the heck? Where is that aspect.

Mind you, I have not gotten through the full Master Class suit yet, only just started with 1_7... so I'm still on chapter 1, I guess. Considering that I have to dummy down the Unreal engine, and use GF8.1 (Much better option from what I have read,) Things are progressing nicely...

Except for my floating character... this is driving me nuts! I've tried lowing the mesh in the Blueprint, doesn't help, I have even dropped her so far her knees are at ground plane. and made .001 increment up again. no good, at .009 to .01 the character "jumps" and is once again a good 2-3" off the ground! HELP! LoL....

If I can get this resolved I can move on to getting better animations... because you know, Manny's animations on GF8.1.. kinda just, well... suck. Okay, they don't suck for Manny, but they just do not work for GF8.1... that's another post though.

Thanks for the help.

V

Floating.png
500 x 500 - 138K

Comments

• ViallyVially Posts: 343
    edited March 2023

Sort of resolved with Daz To Unreal Bridge v2022.2.18.

Can now at leat work in te latst version of unreal

G9InUE511.png
    630 x 408 - 299K
    G9InUE511-02.png
    802 x 560 - 501K
    Post edited by Vially on
  • https://davidvodhanel.com/

This bridge has 5.1 support and works with G9.  There are also many useful articles on his site.  From what I understand it is the same bridge from DAZ, only it is updated and works. 

• DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited March 2023

Vially,

1. I am accessing the offical Daz To Unreal developers download page. Davids download page is often "ahead" of what Daz is presenting from DIM (which I stated in tutorial).

2. Unreal 4 and 5 links are available from his site and I was using both versions with no problems, I cannot control how David updates his website.

3. Version 5 is compatable with G9 (which I show in tutorial).

I understand that using Daz To Unreal may seem difficult at first but I encourage you to go through all of the tutorials so you get your feet on solid ground, that's pretty much how I created the tutorials...there's no magic it's all right in front of you. I get the "user" comfortable operating in the Unreal interface so you/user can fine tune the finer aspects of using Daz figures in the Unreal engine (and the tutorial solves a big stumbling block of Daz figures without correctly working IK's). The tutorials represent 5 months of work with Daz & Unreal and I feel they accurately solve many issues that I am currently seeing in the community.

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • DiscipleDisciple Posts: 76
    edited March 2023

I'm a n00b who's barely broken the seal on UE5.  My background is traditional animation software, Poser, and a bit of DS.  I hope to end up with a workflow where I can keyframe DAZ figures.  I've given up on expecting DAZ to ever solidify these tools in Studio, so I'm stepping into the waters of UE holding the hand of the masterclass series, and I'm floundering at chapter 1.

Video 1_1 seems to skip over the first steps.  UE appears already downloaded and installed, as does the bridge and a fair collection of assets.  Youtube and the forums helped me get the software working and my first G8 figure across the bridge, just not very well.  Now the masterclass video starts by touring the useful bits in the user interface.  So far so good.  I still have questions, like "...add and import, I do use these quite often" ...for what?  I shall keep watching in hope.

Then it demonstrates how to open a layer, a lighted stage that looks like the shrink chamber from Fantastic Voyage with some flyaround cameras.  Well, no such layer appears when I search the Open Layer folder tree.  In fact, my tree looks nothing like the one in the video; no layer assets of any kind appear in any of my folders.  Is that layer a freebie I have to find in the marketplace and purchase and download and install before I'm on the right masterclass page?  I'm not going to learn much by following along if this keeps happening.

It might be UE that messed me up a little.  It offered an update to 5.1.1, which I received.  Now when I request a new project, the only option is the blank one with the checkerboard floor slab and cloudy sky.  All the first person, third person, automobile, virtual set choices are vanished.  I had to reinstall the bridge as well.  Maybe a basic content package got wiped out, too.  If that's the case, how many "open this and do that" exercises in the masterclass require default assets I may not have?  Am I stalled until Epic restores what seems to be an incomplete downloadable?  Or have I just missed something obvious?  Thanks for reading.

[edit=1] I still have my last install of 5.0.3, which does have project templates for games and VR and architecture etc., but it can't find any installed layers to open either.  Did my 5.1.1 update destroy a single shared library of basic content?  Bad news for me.  I'll look for a downgrade path... a desperate move, I admit.  Assistance appreciated.[/edit]

[edit=2] I sit corrected.  5.0.3 has found and loaded a sparse handful of files.  StarterMap and Advanced_Lighting look interesting, but they identify as maps and not levels.  I don't know the difference, and am still unable to follow that step in the masterclass.  I shall press on, but still eager to hear someone tell me what's going on.  Thank you. [/edit]

[edit=3] Looking back at the product description, I guess the fault is mine for assuming that a "getting started" chapter would be included when none was promised.  Still, the bundle seems to contain tons of information I do want, so I'm determined to falter my way through and hope I catch on.  So here's a customer request.  I think some kind of map would be useful, with links to products and resources used in the demonstrations, to basic tutorials for UE beginners, downloadable exercise sample files, stuff like that.

But I still think my 5.1.1 install isn't acting right.  Help solving that is appreciated.  Thanks. [/edit]

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

Post edited by Disciple on