2»

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

HLEET_3D said:

Intermediate Challenge

Title : Funny Yoga Girl

Using DazSoftware

This is a fun image.

I am going to get nitpicky about the hands. 

The carpals on her right hand look extended too far back.  Adjusting them slightly straighter ( more towards her face ) will help to give them a more natural look.  This should be a slight adjustment.

On the left hand the last knuckle joint on the middle finger has an odd bend.  It might look more natural if it was straightened slightly.

• RafaelRafael Posts: 124
    edited March 2023

Version 3. Augh. I thought I got this right the first time, but I started to notice some dumb mistakes I made.

I ditched the smaller version. Although the proportion is not perfect, the first one was better, and in theory, if I trace an angle based on the knee, the heel more or less would touch the ground in front of the chair.
    There is a possing rule on femenine subjects, that recommend showing the side of the hand, not the knuckles, which is a more masculine pose.

Kismet2012 said:

rafael_f12aa018 said:

"By the window"

My entry and my second-ever official DAZ Studio render!

Welcome to the New User Challenge rafael_f12aa018

It is not required for the Beginner portion of the Challenge to use an action pose. 

I am glad you took on the Intermediate Challenge.  Posing hands can be tricky but can really make a difference in an image.

As for lighting, you have a lovely rim light on her face.  Very nice soft light.  Do you have a fill light?  A more diffuse light that does not come from any specific direction?  A light of this type coming from the general direction of the camera will help to lighten the image overall and allow her to stand out a bit .

This is a great start.

Thank you.
    There were two area lights, one, was not exactly at the position of the window in the photo, because it rendered the model almost backlighted, so the main light is on the side and back. The fill light is on the other side. There is a black flag to act as the chair shadow on the legs.

One thing I noticed is that I did not want to light the ambient too much relying on the darkness to blend the two images, but, more light on this next version was a good move.

PosingChallenge-v3-01.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 200K
    Post edited by Rafael on
    edited March 2023

- Duplicated -

Post edited by Rafael on
    edited March 2023

- Duplicated -

Post edited by Rafael on

rafael_f12aa018 said:

Version 3. Augh. I thought I got this right the first time, but I started to notice some dumb mistakes I made.

I ditched the smaller version. Although the proportion is not perfect, the first one was better, and in theory, if I trace an angle based on the knee, the heel more or less would touch the ground in front of the chair.
    There is a possing rule on femenine subjects, that recommend showing the side of the hand, not the knuckles, which is a more masculine pose.

Kismet2012 said:

rafael_f12aa018 said:

"By the window"

My entry and my second-ever official DAZ Studio render!

Welcome to the New User Challenge rafael_f12aa018

It is not required for the Beginner portion of the Challenge to use an action pose. 

I am glad you took on the Intermediate Challenge.  Posing hands can be tricky but can really make a difference in an image.

As for lighting, you have a lovely rim light on her face.  Very nice soft light.  Do you have a fill light?  A more diffuse light that does not come from any specific direction?  A light of this type coming from the general direction of the camera will help to lighten the image overall and allow her to stand out a bit .

This is a great start.

Thank you.
    There were two area lights, one, was not exactly at the position of the window in the photo, because it rendered the model almost backlighted, so the main light is on the side and back. The fill light is on the other side. There is a black flag to act as the chair shadow on the legs.

One thing I noticed is that I did not want to light the ambient too much relying on the darkness to blend the two images, but, more light on this next version was a good move.

I also notice little mistakes I missed in an image...usually while watching it render.  That seems to be when these "little" mistakes become glaring errors.  We can focus so much on 1 specific thing, ie: posing hands, lighting, etc that we miss something else.  

That is why I walk away from an image for a little while and come back with "fresh" eyes to see if something stands out at me.  Sounds like that is what happened to you.

Rules are guidelines...but are generally worth folloiwng.  There are exceptions of course but it is up to you as the artist to make that decision.

I think you found a good balance with the fill light and the rim light from the window. 

She has a nice relaxed pose while at the same time she seems to be looking for/anticipating the arrivial of someone.  A nice combination.

• NightflyNightfly Posts: 36

Beginners Challenge
    Title: Tackling
    Software: DAZ3D & Gimp

Hello everyone! This is my first render for this competition.
    I chose the topic football (women's football).
    Unfortunately I don't have a reference picture. This came out of my head.
    Not perfect but i hope to learn a lot soon.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

sg1test.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 548K
    edited March 2023

Nightfly said:

Beginners Challenge

Good posing. Nice start!

My humble suggestion is that you lower the overall brightness because the whites are burned a bit. Probably adjust one parameter on the Tonemapper options. Allow me to spam :) a really simple tutorial I made. This case is a good example. If you find the tutorial too long, scroll to the bottom and see if the adjustment I recommend on the second last image works for you. https://otake.com.mx/Tutorials/Light-Intensity/Light-Intensity-Inside-DazStudio.php

Post edited by Rafael on

Nightfly said:

Beginners Challenge

Welcome Nightly

Without a reference image it is a bit tricky to make suggestions.

I get the impression this is the result of a collision between the 2 players.

The pose of the figure on the left, falling face forward looks good. I think she is doing what one would do when falling face first intot he grass.

The other figure I am not as sure about.  I spent some time looking for falling poses similar to the one you created.  The clsoest I could find was silouettes of skateboarders.

https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/skateboarders-falling-crash-landing-gm165743046-14064338

it is natural to put your hand/arm out to try to break your fall but that can also lead to a broken arm or potentially a dislocated shoulder.

Is the figure on the right falling?  Or is she going after the soccer ball?

I think your light is a little bright.  It is blowing out the colours on the clothing.  Especially the whites.  You could either tone down the lighting a bit or perhaps change the colour of the clothing to something darker.

You have some nice dynamics and an interesting story. 

Thank you for joing the challenge.

• NightflyNightfly Posts: 36
    edited March 2023

Kismet2012 said:

Nightfly said:

Beginners Challenge

Welcome Nightly

The pose of the figure on the left, falling face forward looks good. I think she is doing what one would do when falling face first intot he grass.

The other figure I am not as sure about.  I spent some time looking for falling poses similar to the one you created.  The clsoest I could find was silouettes of skateboarders.

https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/skateboarders-falling-crash-landing-gm165743046-14064338

it is natural to put your hand/arm out to try to break your fall but that can also lead to a broken arm or potentially a dislocated shoulder.

I think your light is a little bright.  It is blowing out the colours on the clothing.  Especially the whites.  You could either tone down the lighting a bit or perhaps change the colour of the clothing to something darker.

@rafael_f12aa018

Thank you for the tutorial.
    I have made some changes with the light. Now it is not so bright.

@Kismet2012

The right figure should slide under the other from the side and take the ball from her (Milliseconds before she touches the grass with the hand).
    I've changed the position a bit to better explain the situation.
    I have now changed the dress of the figure on the left. Really looks a lot better than before. smiley

sgtest02a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 555K
    Post edited by Nightfly on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040
    edited March 2023

Kismet2012 said:

On the left hand the last knuckle joint on the middle finger has an odd bend.  It might look more natural if it was straightened slightly.

Just in passing. My Granddaughter can bend the tip of her finger like that :)

Then again when she was wee she could do this. I think she is part Owl :)

emma.jpg
    2304 x 1728 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Version E with some texture work done here. Ment to post it last night.

march2023e.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 675K
  • Version F here.

My main was given a HUD unit that has acted up and tweeked his expresion to give a hint as to what his thaughts about it are.

Should be trying to get some rest right now with work tomorrow, but the wind outside where I live isn't helping with that so I figured I'd work on this and here we are.

march2023f.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 675K

Nightfly said:

Kismet2012 said:

Nightfly said:

Beginners Challenge

Welcome Nightly

@rafael_f12aa018

Thank you for the tutorial.
    I have made some changes with the light. Now it is not so bright.

@Kismet2012

The right figure should slide under the other from the side and take the ball from her (Milliseconds before she touches the grass with the hand).
    I've changed the position a bit to better explain the situation.
    I have now changed the dress of the figure on the left. Really looks a lot better than before. smiley

The changes you have made reall work.  

Great job.

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version E with some texture work done here. Ment to post it last night.

Changes are looking good.

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version F here.

My main was given a HUD unit that has acted up and tweeked his expresion to give a hint as to what his thaughts about it are.

Should be trying to get some rest right now with work tomorrow, but the wind outside where I live isn't helping with that so I figured I'd work on this and here we are.

Subtle changes but make a huge difference.

• Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142
    edited April 2023

Daz Studio

Post edited by Aki3d on

aki3d said:

contortion

intermediate

Daz Studio

She must be double jointed to pull that pose off.

Great job.

• Version G here.

I got around to giving my main character a companion who I decided to make a Super Mutent who has decided to try and distract the foe in the background.

Powerpose was used to change the upper part of the starting pose that I used so he was aiming more in the direction of the foe while looking in the direction of the main character and pointing in the direction he's heading to signal that he should keep going.

march2023g.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 673K

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version G here.

I got around to giving my main character a companion who I decided to make a Super Mutent who has decided to try and distract the foe in the background.

Powerpose was used to change the upper part of the starting pose that I used so he was aiming more in the direction of the foe while looking in the direction of the main character and pointing in the direction he's heading to signal that he should keep going.

Changes are looking good.

The Challenge is now CLOSED

Showcased Participants for the March Posing Challenge

Tackling by Nightify

By The Window by rafael_f12aa018

The Dance Teacher by jaka101182

Showcased Participants for the March Posing II Using Advanced Posing Tools Challenge

Fallout Inspired Entry by Shinji Ikari 9th

Funny Yoga Girl by FLEET_3D

Leaving Home by Alias62

• Alias52Alias52 Posts: 283

Many thanks and congrats to all the winners!