Game On 4 - The Sky

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited March 2023

NGartplay, thanks for the challenge. Your renderrs are indeed quuite different with a different sky.

Horo, great examples. Specifically the second set does not look like the same landscape, also because of texture and water, of course.

Mermaid and Horo, Your renders of the Desert Temple are all quite different. The wonderful thing about your renders, Mermaid, is the different colours of the windows or curtains. And the light in the gallery in the dark one of Horo is special.

Mermaid, your last set is wonderful for the same direction of the shadows, but very different colours.

I made three landscapes, same scene, same textures, different sky.

highland_from_lamp9.jpg
    1370 x 659 - 1M
    highland_from_lamp9dark.jpg
    1370 x 659 - 679K
    highland_from_lamp9b.jpg
    1370 x 659 - 997K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,828

Very beautiful skies Hansmar.  I like the water that you used.  It's reflections are so interesting.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited March 2023

Thanks Yellow Pen and NGartplay and Hansmar

Hansmar - beautiful examples using different skies, awesome.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

NGartplay: Yes, I`ll try it - I love sky and clouds... and all of your works here. Really really wonderful....yes

It´s a long time ago I did open Bryce (ore other programs)... but, now I want to try it again.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,099
    edited March 2023

Hansmar : awesome examples with the different skies.

Same landscape and textures, different skies.

terrain_sky1.jpg
    980 x 490 - 80K
    terrain_sky2.jpg
    980 x 490 - 66K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

Hansmar - thank you. Great examples how lighting changes the scene.

adbc - also great examples how a scene can look with different skies and light.

Adbc - beautiful examples of how changing the lighting can give different moods to a render.

adbc, both are so pretty and different feel to them.  Nice work.

Yellow Pen, you can use an image that you made long ago.  Just post it along with the new sky picture. 

Horo, mermaid, NGartplay : thank you.

edited March 2023

I tried using an inside room image and I don't think that it works.  Changing the sky makes the biggest impact on landscapes, in my opinion.  The original is at the bottom and has 3 images rendered in Bryce and blended in PSP.

enchilada.jpg
    1200 x 899 - 301K
    arm-wrestle-1.jpg
    1200 x 899 - 89K
    arm-wrestle-2.jpg
    1200 x 899 - 110K
    arm-wrestle-4.jpg
    1200 x 899 - 127K
    Post edited by NGartplay on

NGartplay - very nice examples, yes changing the sky makes a difference.

edited March 2023

NGartplay - great examples with those guys. The sky makes a difference in landscapes, right - but also inside an enclosure, how it is lit can make a huge difference. Also for abstracts or "only" objects. I spend most of the time for lighting in my scenes.

Post edited by Horo on

NGartplay : excellent examples, changing the sky makes very different scenes.

Thank you Horo, mermaid and adbc.  I was thinking that it wasn't a big enough change but I see that number 2 has more saturation than the other two.  The first is cool blue/white that washes out the image and the third is warmer and enhances the figures.

edited March 2023

These renders are a bit different but are related to the “Sky”; I was experimenting with the Bryce Sun in different position.  The same scene was used only the position of the sun is different.

Midmorning

Afternoon

Sun in front of camera

midmorning.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 70K
    afternoon.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 63K
    sun-infront-of camera.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 55K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

mermaid, your skies are all so beautiful.  They showcase how the lighting affects the scene.  I like that you showed a scene with the sky creating shadows on the viewer's side.

mermaid - three very instructive examples.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited March 2023

NGartPlay: What a cool challenge! And there are so many awesome results!

I made a few trials with Bryce standard skies. The first image is made with Afternoon Sun (which I think I have never ever used before), the 2nd with Bluejeans 2 plus a bit of Fog, the 3rd one is a night scene where the sky is based on Thursday Sky and the last one with Thermal, which was my prefered sky preset in my Bryce beginner's days. The terrain always has the same material in all pictures.

GameOn4_Afternoon_Sun.jpg
    800 x 686 - 264K
    GameOn4_BlueJeans_Fog.jpg
    800 x 686 - 297K
    GameOn4_ThursdaySky.jpg
    800 x 686 - 286K
    GameOn4_Thermal.jpg
    800 x 686 - 368K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

Electro, so very cool.  I would not have noticed that it was the same landscape if you had not told us.  That amazes me.  They look like 4 different landscapes.  Are you using 'camera' or 'director's?'  It makes a big difference to how your sky looks with the preset skies.  Great job.

Thanks Horo, NGartplay and Electro-Elvis

An amazing set of renders, Electro-Elvis, my fav - the one with the fog.

mermaid : the different skies are all beautiful, the lighting and position of the sunmakes a big difference, great job.

Electro : A wonderful set of skies, my fav is also the one with the fog.

• huberthubert Posts: 410
    edited March 2023

@ all: Great works! The differences and changes of mood are amazing.

FYI (if you didn't already know): There exists an "Easter Egg" in Bryce to place the Sun or Moon exactly in your scene. Quite practical for finetuning sunset or sunrise scenes.

Here is a screenshot with the workflow instructions and the result:

screenshot

Post edited by hubert on
    edited March 2023

Electro-Elvis - four great examples.

hubert - this is not an Easter Egg but a known Keyboard Shortcut. See on my website Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Mine > Diverse > Bryce Keyboard Shortcuts.

Post edited by Horo on

Horo: Thanks for clarification. -- I remember this feature only as an "Easter Egg" from Steven Ray's "Bryce5 Key Board Commands, Short Cuts, and Easter Eggs" web page (not online any more), though not from the official Bryce 4-6 User Guides.

PS: Thanks again for your very helpful documents!

Thank you Hubert and Horo, I forgot AGAIN how to do this and I was trying to figure it out the other day.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited March 2023

Ngartplay, , Thanks very much. Great work with the Orcs. Change of light leads to a clear change of colour and mood.

Adbc, Thank you. You’re example appears to have a rather different perspective and depth, which is amazing, since a close look shows that the terrains are exactly at the same spot!

Horo, Thanks. Yes, I also play around quite a bit with lights (sun, IBL, other lights) to get it exactly …. wrong (sometimes). But that is the great thing about Bryce (and similar software): you can easily change lights! (Try do that in a painting…)

Mermaid. Thanks. And really very good example of the fact that only the sun’s position already makes a very big difference.

Elvis, great examples. Art first I thought there were two different terrains in the four renders!

hubert and Yellow Pen, thanks too. And, please, show us your results of this game on too.

Post edited by Hansmar on

Thanks hubert and Hansmar

edited March 2023

Hansmar:
    > (quote) "... And, please, show us your results of this game on too."
    This ain't easy, because I used/use Bryce only very seldom for landscapes.

E.g. in 2002 I posted a "Typical Scottish Landscape" in 3DCommune's Woody Gallery. -- According to (teasing!) comments it looked pathetic, tight-fisted, lacked atmosphere and showed a "poor use of the Bryce Controls" (Bryce4 then). I considered all these suggestions and my 2nd attempt was indeed a BIG improvement!  :)

Scottish Landscape

Fortunately, I found a more suitable landscape scene (also from 2002) for this thread. I made only few changes to it. Most terrains are made from bitmaps and the objects created with "Helixir" (iirc).

Scenes tweaked and rendered Bryce4:

Result

Post edited by hubert on

Hubert, love your crazy landscape.  I can't figure out how you did that.  The shiny sphere is a must :)  Great examples and so fun.

Hansmar : thank you.

hubert : really crazy but very original.