Render takes forever

CherubitCherubit Posts: 992
edited September 2015 in New Users

Please help me solve this?
I saw in another topic, someone had also problem with slow render, so someone else asked if progressive render was off, and he said it was on, he turned it off and it got faster.
The thing is that my progressive render is off already... Also, I have no lights...

[edit] also, in renders that i start from scratch it doesnt happen... only when I open this saved one I was working on before...

Post edited by Cherubit on

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

People can't really offer advise unless you post your system specs, OS, renderer, etc.

It could be just your system isn't up to rendering the scene, or any one of numorous other issues. Regards.

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

So it looks like from your screen shot you're rendering in iRay using an environmental hdri for lighting? What has rendered there looks like it's hugely out of focus, do you have DOF on in your camera settings?

• Progressive render On can speed 3Delight renders, turning it off will rarely help slow renders. However, since you are using Iray that isn't relevant.

It would be helpful in future to upload full-size screenshots to the forum, using the Attach a file link, so that we can click to see the settings - reading a reduced screenshot can be a strain.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018

In the "Advanced" render settings, have you checked "OptiX"? Also, what the others said, the reason for "slow" rendering can be various. If you have an nVidea graphic card that has lots of CUDA cores and has a decent sized VRam (4GB and up... like, GTX 740 and up), then chances are that that will speed up your render times considerably. If you don't, and just render on CPU, Iray will render slower.

That said, it really looks like your character is posed out of range in a Depth of Field camera. Did you chose the Portrait Camera that comes with one of the HRDI-setis? If so, then select the camera in the Scene tab, and switch the Viewport to "perspective view". You'll see a small cross in the line of the camera you selected. That cross should be located in the center of the character.

• People can't really offer advise unless you post your system specs, OS, renderer, etc.

It could be just your system isn't up to rendering the scene, or any one of numorous other issues. Regards.

Thank you for your comment. My system should be able to render because the environment is the dagger dance one, and I had no problems rendering that one. Other than that, the other element I have is just Genesis with those clothes that already come in daz3d and I also rendered once a few days ago a lady with those clothes. I use Iray to render.

- My OS is Windows 10 64 bits
    - My Display Adapters: AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series (I set this one for daz3d, but I just checked an Iray is still using my CPU for rendering. Is it possible to change to AMD Radeon, and would you recommend doing that?) and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    - Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz

KA1 said:

So it looks like from your screen shot you're rendering in iRay using an environmental hdri for lighting? What has rendered there looks like it's hugely out of focus, do you have DOF on in your camera settings?

Thank you very much for commenting :) Yes, it's Iray without adding any lights. I mean, I just added the environment, the clothes and Genesis. You can see the print screen I uploaded. What is DOF in camera settings? :/

Progressive render On can speed 3Delight renders, turning it off will rarely help slow renders. However, since you are using Iray that isn't relevant.

It would be helpful in future to upload full-size screenshots to the forum, using the Attach a file link, so that we can click to see the settings - reading a reduced screenshot can be a strain.

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I actually use Iray only because it's the only render I know how to use because of the tutorial! Thank you for the suggestion about uploading full size pictures, yesterday I tried but the file didn't work this is why I hosted the picture somewhere else, I didn't know it wasn't possible to open it bigger... Now I did just as you said :)

lee_lhs said:

In the "Advanced" render settings, have you checked "OptiX"? Also, what the others said, the reason for "slow" rendering can be various. If you have an nVidea graphic card that has lots of CUDA cores and has a decent sized VRam (4GB and up... like, GTX 740 and up), then chances are that that will speed up your render times considerably. If you don't, and just render on CPU, Iray will render slower.

That said, it really looks like your character is posed out of range in a Depth of Field camera. Did you chose the Portrait Camera that comes with one of the HRDI-setis? If so, then select the camera in the Scene tab, and switch the Viewport to "perspective view". You'll see a small cross in the line of the camera you selected. That cross should be located in the center of the character.

Thank you for your answer. OptiX is not checked. Apparently the hardware being used is the CPU, and it's the only option there, is it possible to change that? You can see my system specs in the top of this message. About the camera, I don't know how to change them, I didn't even know there were different cameras! (Im such a noob!) I wasn't using any camera, just the normal perspective view... (in the printscreen I uploaded you can see what items I have in my scene :))

h2.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 283K
  • It would be more helpful to see your Render Settings pane for Iray.

Iray is not trying to render the Scene that you are showing, in your first image, it is an extreme closeup of the figure's face.   If you were rendering using the Perspective view, the render would look the same as what you can see in the Viewport.

• CherubitCherubit Posts: 992
    edited September 2015

It would be more helpful to see your Render Settings pane for Iray.

Iray is not trying to render the Scene that you are showing, in your first image, it is an extreme closeup of the figure's face.   If you were rendering using the Perspective view, the render would look the same as what you can see in the Viewport.

Thank you for answering! Well, I guess I was using the perspective view to render, since I have no camera in my scene... :/ I could be wrong though...

How do I show you the render settings panel?

Post edited by Cherubit on
  • Go to Window > Panes (Tabs) > Render Settings (if the pane is not already loaded)   You can undock the pane by clicking and dragging on the albel 'Render Settings' and pull it into the centre of the screen, then use print screen.

• Go to Window > Panes (Tabs) > Render Settings (if the pane is not already loaded)   You can undock the pane by clicking and dragging on the albel 'Render Settings' and pull it into the centre of the screen, then use print screen.

Here it goes

h3.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 279K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    taemimun said:

Thank you for your comment. My system should be able to render because the environment is the dagger dance one, and I had no problems rendering that one. Other than that, the other element I have is just Genesis with those clothes that already come in daz3d and I also rendered once a few days ago a lady with those clothes. I use Iray to render.

- My Display Adapters: AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series (I set this one for daz3d, but I just checked an Iray is still using my CPU for rendering. Is it possible to change to AMD Radeon, and would you recommend doing that?) and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

No, neither of the video options available to you are useable by Iray for GPU acceleration.  It can't use them.  That system will always render in CPU mode only.

• mjc1016 said:
    taemimun said:

No, neither of the video options available to you are useable by Iray for GPU acceleration.  It can't use them.  That system will always render in CPU mode only.

Oh it makes me sad :/ But the other files I saved render quite well... I just attached one example. I dont know why the other one isn't rendering like that... and its been just a few seconds!

h4.png
    1366 x 768 - 1M
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited September 2015

render Settings are saved with the Scene information.   If you click on the button that says 'Default' in the Render Settings pane, then your saved scene should render correclty.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited September 2015

Double post

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • render Settings are saved with the Scene information.   If you click on the button that says 'Default' in the Render Settings pane, then your saved scene should render correclty.

That's awesome! It worked! Thank you so much! Do you know what was making it not render?

• Glad it's working for you now.   It could have been one of the Filter settings, but there are so many different settings in the Render Settings pane that it is difficult to know.   I often used to reset 3Delight to the defaults as a quicker way of finding what had gone wrong with the settings.

• @JimmyC_2009 that's great! I'm very thankful for your help! :D I'm so happy now I can render her! That's a great way of fixing things quickly :)