Question about Poser and Daz

Okay please keep in mind that I am completely and totally new to this kind of thing.  Can one use items, figures backgrounds etc. from poser in Daz?  Its probably an incredilby dumb question lol.

Comments

• Yes you can on most of them. Lights no. Base figures, models clothes generally etc. Also, most all DAZ stuff can be used in poser. Materials on some are problematic going back and forth. All my Poser content and all my DAZ content I use in both programs. I have content going all the way back to the late 90's that still works.

• Awesome thank you! 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Not a dumb question at all.  Most Poser content will work in Daz Studio, although you may need to adjust the surface settings, as Poser and DS define things a little differently (there's a tutorial here http://homepage.eircom.net/~neilvpose/tutorial-1.htm on how to do that).

Poser items that won't work in DS:

Dynamic cloth

Dynamic hair

Light sets

Weight-mapped figures (Poser 9+)

Capsule-rigged figures (Poser 8)

Materials which are entirely procedural (mathematically calculated without any images)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Not a dumb question at all.  Most Poser content will work in Daz Studio, although you may need to adjust the surface settings, as Poser and DS define things a little differently (there's a tutorial here http://homepage.eircom.net/~neilvpose/tutorial-1.htm on how to do that).

Poser items that won't work in DS:

Dynamic cloth

Dynamic hair

Light sets

Weight-mapped figures (Poser 9+)

Capsule-rigged figures (Poser 8)

Materials which are entirely procedural (mathematically calculated without any images)

While what was said is true, some of that isn't absolute.  Some dynamic clothing is 'hybrid' clothing...or can be rigged (given a working skeleton). The figures can be re-rigged and equivalent materials may possibly be made in ShaderMixer...but all of that is more advanced and a lot of work, with some things being a lot easier than others or even more worth doing.  But, it does reduce the percentage of non-working stuff even more. 

But bear in mind, that even if everything is 'perfect' there will need to be adjustments (usually just materials) made...but then again, the same kind of adjustments need to be done between Iray and 3Delight (or Luxrender/Octane/any other renderer used with Studio).

• Thank you!  I will go and check out the tutorial as well.  I appreciate the help!