iRay Shaders on imported objects

I have been trying to apply iRay Shaders to imported .objs. I get color, but no texture. I've fiddled with the dials, turning up bump, etc., but nothing works. I've tried the shader mixer that comes with Daz 4.8 and I've also tried iRay Dirty Metal by fictionalbookshelf. I also applied the Uber iRay Shader to see if that would work with regular seamless tiles in the diffuse color and still nothing. If the model is a .duf, the shader seems to stick, but importing models leaves a flat color with no shading or texture. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you in advance. Denise

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,218

Your imported .obj may not be uv mapped.

• barbult said:

Your imported .obj may not be uv mapped.

that is what it sounds like to me. that or some insane scaling.

• dvitoladvitola Posts: 136

How would I uv map it? Is there a program?

I did have to scale the models up. One of them 10,000 times. would that make a difference?

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015
    dvitola said:

I did have to scale the models up. One of them 10,000 times. would that make a difference?

Nah. The actual object scale does not impact the texture scale because the textures stay the same relative size on the model. Its more likely a UV issue. 

Where did you get the object from? Can you find out if it was supposed to be mapped? You can use a lot of different modelling tools to adjust UV mapping, but avoiding that is probably what you would want to do.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

Thanks, Larsmidnatt--I figured it out. I imported the object into Cinema 4d and applied the default gray shader to it. Exported it as an .fbx and it works great! Thanks for all the comebacks. Figuring out that it was a UV mapping problem helped greatly. Denise