Weird shadow question

Is it possible to have a specific shading item not cast a shadow? I've got an issue that's too long to get into, but basically I need eyelashes to not cast a shadow. I don't think it's possible, but I thought I would ask. 

Thanks

Comments

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited September 2015

The issue picture below --

What I *can't* do is provide the shadows with the same information that's being provided to the defuse layer. Even if it's at a darker color to imitate "shading", all that does is eliminate all of the soft shading that you see around the nose and such. 

I don't understand how the nose is casting a shadow...that's the same shadow as the hair is casting...but somehow the "shadow" that the eyelashes are casting is the same color as the skin. 

It seems to be a problem specific to the eyelashes, not the, say, shading domains of the actual face. Because if those were of any issue, then they wouldn't be casting shadows at all. 

Just perplexing and annoying.

EYELASH.jpg
    640 x 480 - 67K
    Post edited by BC Rice on

Even if I completely eliminate the lash by way of alpha or transparency, Carrara is still behaving as if it's there. Really frustrating. 

EYELASH 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 53K

Here --

EYELASH 2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 53K

The only other "clue" I have is that these eyelash "shadows" are only appearing when beneath another shadow. So, like, with the right eye, the imprint of the eyelash is a bit more rippled because the shade from the hair isn't completely covering the area. But since the left eyelash is in total shadow, it's creating this super bizarre result.

So why is the eyelash casting something besides a shadow? Or, why is the shadow it's casting different from the color of the shadow the hair is casting? 

I even double checked to make sure I'm not just looking *through* the transparent eyelashes. That's not what's happening. Somehow the eyelashes are casting faux shadows, and what's equally as strange is that they're not even casting shadows in conjunction with their alpha MATs. They're casting "shadows" consistent with the actual model's base eyelashes. 

• Maybe it has to do with the fact that you're using some toon shading. Maybe stuff isn't acting as you'd expect with the toon shader you're using.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Very strange.  Might want to double check to make sure the 'light through transparency' buttons are checked, both of them, in the render settings.

• I agree with both Joe and Jonstark.  If you are using some toon rendering plugin then it may be an artifact of that - I know eyelashes can do some crazy things in Carrara's built-in non-photorealistic renderer.  If you are just using some sort of toon shader with the photorealistic renderer then Jonstark is probably right and it's the light through transparency (or maybe the shadow or object accuracy).

Can you tell us how you are getting the toon effect?  Maybe someone can try to replicate the problem and figure it out.

• Yeah, I'm kind of agreeing with the rest of the responses. More info about the scene and what you are using or doing for rendering would really help.

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited September 2015

Make sure you don't have any specularity set in the transparent areas, that can cause artifacts, even though I don't think that is the problem in your case.

*fixed now, I usually don't have problems with any form of cats*

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • Make sure you don't have any specularity set in the transparent areas, that can cause articats, even though I don't think that is the problem in your case.

I agree. Getting artifacts in your image is bad, but if you have "articats" you're in real trouble... smileysmiley

• Make sure you don't have any specularity set in the transparent areas, that can cause articats, even though I don't think that is the problem in your case.

I agree. Getting artifacts in your image is bad, but if you have "articats" you're in real trouble... smileysmiley

We didn't used to have such a problem with articats but global warming is driving them south and we're seeing more every year. laugh

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    BC Rice said:

Even if I completely eliminate the lash by way of alpha or transparency, Carrara is still behaving as if it's there. Really frustrating. 

Select them in the vertex room then hide them, should fix ,

via select by shader

• head wax said:
    BC Rice said:

Select them in the vertex room then hide them, should fix ,

via select by shader

Unless it is C8.5 I hear. Damned useful bug to squash if you ask me!

Ah who uses 8.5 ? ;) 

head wax said:

Ah who uses 8.5 ? ;) 

Yeah, never had any issues with my setup in 7.2. So it must be some kind of alteration they screwed up in 8.5. 

Working at it. Thanks all. 

Ah well select them and drag them inside the head ;) 

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited September 2015
    head wax said:

Really? When I do that, I get a migraine! Damned Ausies! :-P
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited January 2016

Did you ever fix this problem BC Brice?

Evil Migraines are underated :)  

head wax said:

Really? When I do that, I get a migraine! Damned Ausies! :-P

Post edited by Headwax on