Carrara and Marvelous Designer tutorial

does anyone have or know a tutorial for importing, exporting cloth animations to and from Carrara to Marvelous designer 2

Thanks

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100

IIRC Marvelous Designer has an MDD Import and Export. Carrara has this ability with http://www.daz3d.com/mdd-file-format-for-carrara

One would think, in Carrara, you start your character in the Marvelous Designer starting pose and then animate into your animation sequence. Export from Carrara using MDD. Import the MDD into Marvelous Designer. Add or build your clothing. Drape your clothing on the animation. Export from Marvelous Designer in MDD format. Import that MDD into Carrara. Adjust shaders and you should be ready to render that part of it.  

• mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101

Thanks, I will give it a try

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,143

Spooky has given you the basics - remember to have tweeners set to linear when you import the MDD back into Carrara or it goes haywire!  Let us know if you have any questions once you have given it a go.

I most certainly will, thanks

• MD too dear for me and I never figured it out in the trial but know DAZ studio users use obj sequence exports too which is another option if just wanting to create clothes with morphs you can load on them.

these can be rigged to a figure either by attach skeleton or in DAZ studio or Poser

MD too dear for me and I never figured it out in the trial but know DAZ studio users use obj sequence exports too which is another option if just wanting to create clothes with morphs you can load on them.

these can be rigged to a figure either by attach skeleton or in DAZ studio or Poser

thanks, I'll be trying that also

ok, what I like to know now is starting from MD at the time for exporting back to Carrara what is to be done next along with the settings(other than MDD) and once back in Carrara, what are the corrrect settings for the import and once imported into Carrara how do you get the imported animation to sync with your character in Carrara?

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

MD export the animated clothe only, your animated character is in your scene into Carrara.

You have some presets to export your character from Carrara and Marvelous Designer is into the list.

MDD export your character as .obj. and his animation as .mdd.

You load the .obj in MD and then, the animation .mdd. with no changes in the import settings.

Build your clothe, drape it and record the simulation in the animation room.

When you're happy with this simulation, export as .mdd, go back in Carrara and open an empty scene, import the .mdd file (Marvelous Designer preset), delete the first keyframe and drag your animated clothe into your objects browser (I often have an issue when I want to import directly in my original scene).

Open your original scene and drag your clothe from your browser, it fit exactly your character during all the animation.

Apply a texture if it's not done in MD.

DUDU said:

MD export the animated clothe only, your animated character is in your scene into Carrara.

You have some presets to export your character from Carrara and Marvelous Designer is into the list.

You load the .obj in MD and then, the animation .mdd. with no changes in the import settings.

When you're happy with this simulation, export as .mdd, go back in Carrara and open an empty scene, import the .mdd file (Marvelous Designer preset), delete the first keyframe and drag your animated clothe into your objects browser (I often have an issue when I want to import directly in my original scene).

Open your original scene and drag your clothe from your browser, it fit exactly your character during all the animation.

ok, the only problem now is the cloth leaves the figure during the animation in Carrara, any suggestions?

mhscspo said:
    DUDU said:

ok, the only problem now is the cloth leaves the figure during the animation in Carrara, any suggestions?

here are a couple of pictures, one at the start of the animation and the other midway of the animation.

M3_cloth test1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 7K
    M3_cloth test1a.jpg
    640 x 480 - 7K

I've not had that before but it looks to me like the scaling on re-importing the clothes looks slightly too big?

PhilW said:

I've not had that before but it looks to me like the scaling on re-importing the clothes looks slightly too big?

Actually the clothes had to be rescaled to the size that you see in the pictures, the clothes aren't fitting the figure the way that it should, too many gaps, I rearranged it as best as I could, I ended up key framing the mesh with the figure to keep it in place but I know that's not the way that it should be done. I'm going to start from scratch and try it again and see if things changes for the better.

edited September 2015

Rather than using the MDD plugin to scale in and out of Carrara, try using the settings in Marvelous Designer - off hand, I think it is the "inches" setting but I could be wrong, but that has worked for me without the need to rescale.

Post edited by PhilW on