Download Speeds for the Daz Store

nwleee_a52bfead84nwleee_a52bfead84 Posts: 108
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Sorry if this topic has been discussed already....
But I've been having problems with the Internet in our home and after several tech visits, I think we finally got the problem solved. But I'm still experiencing consistently slow speeds when downloading any purchases from the DAZ store. My downloads average between 200 and 400 KB/sec and my Internet speed is supposed to be 7 MB. While I know that speed is not a "typical" download speed in the real world, most of my other downloads clock in around the 1 MB/sec range. (Although when I do a speed test I get the full 7MB/sec)

So, I'm just wondering what other folks get when they usually download from DAZ? Just curious, if you got a minute post your DAZ Store download speeds. Thanks, LEE

Comments

• nwleee_a52bfead84nwleee_a52bfead84 Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Okay, I have to revise my download speeds for the Daz Store, (I'm downloading the very large Stephanie 5 Pro Bundle, lots of goodies) and I'm about half way through downloading all the items. Now my download speeds are around 500 - 600KB/sec -actually peaking at 700 KB/sec. So I'm guessing it depends on how many other people are downloading off their server at any particular time.

I'm still interested in hearing other's download speeds though.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,287
    edited December 1969

Remember that your line speed is in bits per second, but the download speed is in bytes per second - so you need to divide the line speed by 8, and probably knock some more off for housekeeping tasks. I have a similar line speed to you, and the best download speed I get anywhere is about 800KB/s - DAZ is usually close to that.

edited December 1969

Thanks Richard. Yes the bits and bytes always confuse me, I wish they would just pick a standard way of measuring and stick with it.
    But I was going by what my Windows download screen showed me, which was in KB/s, which I believe refers to Kilobytes. And I used the same reference (KB/s) for my speed test at Speedtest.net

But as I said, as I was even typing my original post about this, the downloads were increasing in speed as I downloaded each item.
    And I know there's a dozen different ways line speeds can be affected between my computer and the computer that stores the Daz content.

I guess the original reason I started this question was because I had just downloaded something from another website which gave me a very fast 1 MB/s download, and when I started the downloads at Daz they were initially at 200 - 300 KB/s.

Thanks again,
    Lee

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

There are several factors that can effect download speed, your connection being one of them. I download from the store at about 3.3MB per second.

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Remember that your line speed is in bits per second, but the download speed is in bytes per second - so you need to divide the line speed by 8, and probably knock some more off for housekeeping tasks. I have a similar line speed to you, and the best download speed I get anywhere is about 800KB/s - DAZ is usually close to that.

Actually Richard I found that when the new store was made live my download speeds dropped to just over 200KB/s. They have only just returned to their 600-700KB/s coinciding with the release of Stephanie 5 - I have my fingers crossed [despite how difficult it makes it to type] that these speeds continue into the future.

edited December 1969

ropeman said:
    There are several factors that can effect download speed, your connection being one of them. I download from the store at about 3.3MB per second.

Very impressive! What's your initial Internet provider's speed? You must have a very fast connection to begin with.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

you guys are breaking my heart - I get down to 2 kb/sec here - other wise its about 200 kb/sec

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Leee said:
    ropeman said:

Very impressive! What's your initial Internet provider's speed? You must have a very fast connection to begin with.
    Cincinnati Bell Fi-Optics. I have the 30 mbit connection.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

s l f said:
    I have a similar line speed to you, and the best download speed I get anywhere is about 800KB/s - DAZ is usually close to that.

Actually Richard I found that when the new store was made live my download speeds dropped to just over 200KB/s. They have only just returned to their 600-700KB/s coinciding with the release of Stephanie 5 - I have my fingers crossed [despite how difficult it makes it to type] that these speeds continue into the future.

I've been seeing 400-500kb/s consistently - but I can have half a dozen items doing that at the same time (impatient, me?).

Just downloaded the Digital Cameras freebie and the single download topped out at 1030kb/s, which I think is the highest I've seen from DAZ.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited December 1969

I normally get anywhere between 600kb/s to 1.2mb/s. It greatly depends on the time of day I'm downloading.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,872
    edited December 1969

I get an average of about 1 MB/s most of the time, on an 18 MBit line.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If I am very lucky I get 200kb/s at Daz. other places it is sometimes only 75kb/s or so.

edited December 1969

DSLReports have some great tools for testing your connection. On the old DAZ server I only got about 400 KB/s in the beginning, then I tried their Tweak Test and adjusted my Windows settings according to the advice, after that I got up to 2 MB/s (possible more, but that's the max of my line):

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

• 26FAHRENHEIT26FAHRENHEIT Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have a 120 MegaBite a sec. connection... any file is downloaded in a flash..
    And that pretty normal around here .. 80/120MB sec is standard.
    Everything lower is basic connection.. and dial up is no longer available here for years now..

Chris

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited August 2012

chohole said:
    If I am very lucky I get 200kb/s at Daz. other places it is sometimes only 75kb/s or so.

Lucky you! I usually download at 1.8MB/s from other sites. Downloading from the DAZ Store will start at highest 120 KB/s and usually end at 40 KB/s... >:(

Post edited by Erdehel on
    edited December 1969

I think 200kb/s is pretty fair considering the max broadband connection speed I get in this area is 900kb/s

edited December 1969

Well I don't understand the different speeds people are getting from DAZ: If the DAZ server can deliver say max 10 MB/s per connection, anyone with a slower connection theoretically should be able to download at the max speed of their own connection, minus a little overhead. And anyone with a faster connection should not be able to pull more than those 10MB/s.

edited December 1969

You write MegaBite - do you mean MegaBit or MegaByte?

In any case you can't download faster than the server can deliver, so I doubt you can get more than 2 MB/s from the DAZ server no matter how fast your connection are.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Taozen said:

In any case you can't download faster than the server can deliver, so I doubt you can get more than 2 MB/s from the DAZ server no matter how fast your connection are.

I beg to defer, I'm getting 2.8 to 3.1 Mb on my 28Mb high speed Cable Pipeline as normal downloads most of the time from DAZ. I just checked my speed with the S5 Pro bundle.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Taozen said:

I beg to defer, I'm getting 2.8 to 3.1 Mb on my 28Mb high speed Cable Pipeline as normal downloads most of the time from DAZ. I just checked my speed with the S5 Pro bundle.

On one connection/thread? And is that average?

If the new server can deliver that I should be able to get 2.2 MB/s, which I could from the old server. On the new server I only get max 1.4 MB/s, at average.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Jaderail said:
    Taozen said:

If the new server can deliver that I should be able to get 2.2 MB/s, which I could from the old server. On the new server I only get max 1.4 MB/s, at average.

Yep, This thread was what got me wondering, I had the S5 bundle sitting in my downloads so I went and checked. Each item, single downloads, clocked at those speeds.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

As a test, I just downloaded a 54 MB file from the DAZ store using FF, and I got about 2.8 MB/sec. That's Mega Bytes per second, which is what FireFox reports in the download window. DSLreports rates my location at ~ 25000 Kb/sec, which is 25000 x 1000 bits per second. (I'm at work with multiple T-3 line bandwidth and Gigabit ethernet to my desk.) :coolsmirk:

Speed Test #102491406 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2012-08-23 19:30:23 EST
    Download: 25377 (Kbps)
    Upload: 25130 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 3097.8 down 3067.7 up
    Tested by server: 55 java

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Taozen said:
    Jaderail said:
    Taozen said:

Yep, This thread was what got me wondering, I had the S5 bundle sitting in my downloads so I went and checked. Each item, single downloads, clocked at those speeds.

OK. Strange with all those differences, I wonder if the download server treats different people differently just like the store seem to do in some respects. Though it doesn't make much sense that it should do that.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Jaderail said:
    Taozen said:
    Jaderail said:
    Taozen said:

OK. Strange with all those differences, I wonder if the download server treats different people differently just like the store seem to do in some respects. Though it doesn't make much sense that it should do that.

Daz does as you can see .

edited December 1969

I thinkyou are more likely to find that it is more to do with how many people are downloading at the time you pull in, and which server actually processes your download.

I am sure that Daz3D servers are not programed to give some customers more priority than others.

I am not a techie minded person, but it does seem to me that would be a very difficult bit of prgoramming to pull off

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I thinkyou are more likely to find that it is more to do with how many people are downloading at the time you pull in, and which server actually processes your download.

I am sure that Daz3D servers are not programed to give some customers more priority than others.

I am not a techie minded person, but it does seem to me that would be a very difficult bit of prgoramming to pull off

well some thing going on as you can see .

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Well I've been downloading a lot lately (many GB) because I'm debugging/testing my programs, and I've never been above those 1.2 MB/s at any time.

I doubt anyone would deliberately program the servers to give some customers higher priority, but it could be a bug.

What I wonder about is why I only get 1.2 MB/s from the new store, while I got a much higher speed from the old store. If the new server can deliver 3.2 MB/s, why has my speed gone down?

edited December 1969

I don't know, but your problem is not one that too many people are experiencing.

Most of the time most people are getting much better download speeds.

If my download slow down too much then I will either cancel that download, or leave it to finish and then reset my router. That tends to help.

As I said earlier I often get much lower speeds form other sites And I do mean the bigger sites as well as small ones.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I don't know, but your problem is not one that too many people are experiencing.

Most of the time most people are getting much better download speeds.

If my download slow down too much then I will either cancel that download, or leave it to finish and then reset my router. That tends to help.

As I said earlier I often get much lower speeds form other sites And I do mean the bigger sites as well as small ones.

not for me this is the slow one - I mean 2kb/s - I have seen bytes/s here - the other sites get what I should

edited August 2012

As I said you problem is not a common one. At this particular moment in time I am getting 175kb/s here and only 113kb/s from another site which many Daz forum members use. And I started the other download first, was still getting that 113 kb/s. If my speed dropped to single digits I would suspect it was more than a Daz 3d problem and check my ISP and my router. Works for me.

Post edited by Chohole on