how do I fix "Install Failed!" with "Zip file is not readable" in the log?

Every now and then, I go to install a package and I'll get "Install Failed!" (usually instantly), and when I check the DIM log, I see "Zip file is not readable". However, all my private Zip tools have no problem with the zip file I downloaded. But, even if I delete the zip file and re-download it (and the timestamp of the zip file indicates I really got a new one), I still receive the "Zip file is not readable" in the log when I try to install the package.

Is "Zip file is not readable" generated in the DIM log for reasons other than having a non-readable zip file?

Does anyone know how to fix or workaround this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The only other thing I can think of is that the directory they are in is not readable by the DIM (permissions issue rather than physical driver problem).

What OS are you working in? (and version)

• CO3DRCO3DR Posts: 157
    edited September 2015
    mjc1016 said:

The only other thing I can think of is that the directory they are in is not readable by the DIM (permissions issue rather than physical driver problem).

What OS are you working in? (and version)

Windows 10 Pro. Also, I'm running DAZ in a user account, and most software installations want elevation to admin.

Today, I bought some of the Background Packs for Movie Maker. All of them are "Install Failed!" with the same "Zip file is unreadable". But, a bunch of other zips in the same order installed fine. I'm puzzled.

One pattern I'm beginning to see is that a plus sign ("+") followed by a parentheses seems to be in the name of most of the products failing this way. (The zip files themselves do not have "+" signs in their names, though). Except "Movie Maker Circular Hall" and "Movie Maker - Prison Block Night Background Pack" don't seem to follow this. But, in my whole product library, I only have three products installed with a "+" sign in the name, two of them have "++" and the other one is "DAZ Studio 4.5+ SDK". Sorry if this might be an unintended red herring.

I just looked into the zip files themselves, and they do have some weird characters for some of their folder names. The Movie Maker zip's have folders like (I don't know if the forum will let me reproduce this correctly) "DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Public Build;4.x Private Build". I'm also having a problem with the Dynamic Clothing Control installation, and it has a folder inside the zip named "DAZ Studio_4.5_(64-Bit)". However, I was able to install "Interactive Lessons for DAZ Studio 48" back in July, and it has a folder name the same as the "Movie Maker" ones. And, I do remember in mid-August having a similar problem when I re-installed EVERYTHING with some of the basic, first zips you get, like DAZ Studio itself. I don't remember how I worked around it and got DAZ Studio installed when I re-installed it. (The reason for the re-installation was that I wanted to change the drive certain things were stored on and wanted to start fresh).

Post edited by CO3DR on

That's really beginning to sound like a Windows problem...and while most of the time, file names are not the issue, certain settings, especially base language can cause problems. 

They are United States and English (United States), if that's what you mean by base language.

My guess from the otuside looking in is that somewhere in the guts of DIM, like it's own unzip routine/library, it uses a Windows API that either changed or had a bug fixed in Windows 10. I was not running Windows 10 when I first installed DAZ. The only problem with this guess is that it would probably affect folks doing a new install of DAZ on Windows 10, because one of the first files with this directory structure in the zip is DAZ Studio. Has anyone else in the United States installed DAZ Studio on Windows 10, ie not merely upgraded to Windows 10 and are still using DAZ Studio?

Well, I bought "Luxus for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win-64)" today. Unreadable Zip file. Other zips (for content) purchased today work, and got installed. The Luxus zip also has a directory name inside the zip that is the same as the one inside Movie Maker.

So, I'm beginning to believe I've found what is causing the problem. I don't know how to fix/workaround it though.

That has to be some Win10/DIM problem them...since I don't have Win10, I can't check or reproduce anything.

Thanks for everyone's help!

The problem is resolved. It has something to do with the drive letter of my Downloads not matching the drive letter of my Program Files. To workaround it, I made sure the ZIPs were on the same drive, started up DIM ignoring any "new downloads" it thought I had, changed my Downloads directory to use the matching drive letter, and installed everything that was "Ready to Install".

I now do not think it has anything to do with Windows 10, except that it might be a privilege/rights issue if the drives look different to the OS. Or, it may be that DIM navigates up and up and up the Downloads directory provided and mine wasn't "deep" enough.

But, the fix - if you run into this problem - is to make sure your Downloads directory is on the same drive as Program Files.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Thanks for everyone's help!

The problem is resolved. It has something to do with the drive letter of my Downloads not matching the drive letter of my Program Files. To workaround it, I made sure the ZIPs were on the same drive, started up DIM ignoring any "new downloads" it thought I had, changed my Downloads directory to use the matching drive letter, and installed everything that was "Ready to Install".

I now do not think it has anything to do with Windows 10, except that it might be a privilege/rights issue if the drives look different to the OS. Or, it may be that DIM navigates up and up and up the Downloads directory provided and mine wasn't "deep" enough.

But, the fix - if you run into this problem - is to make sure your Downloads directory is on the same drive as Program Files.

Sounds like either a Win10 issue or a system folder protection issue -- I'm on Win 7, I have my downloads (and all my movable DIM folders) on a separate drive and have no problem installing to my system drive, but I install my software outside of Program Files (although come to think of it I have installed 32-bit versions into Program Files (x86) and haven't had problems)..