Unreal to Daz

I got some freebies from the Unreal marketplace, as there are some vendors there where I really like their products. I tried to install the Unreal Engine software, the whole thing took almost a full day. the couple of times I tried to open it, it kept reloading the shaders, which is where the bulk of the time was spent.

My question is, is there a way to export those products into Blender, or some other software, then import them into DAZ? Or can I bypass using the unreal engine in some way to get to the products? If not, that's fine, I didn't waste any money.

Comments

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226

UE5.1 is really fast to load even on budget gaming laptops, it won't recompile shaders if ini settings were not changed from last use. It'll prepare shaders each time the map loads, however it doesn't stop users editing the map right away after opening it.
    Default engine settings and most default values are not optimized or even not correct, so that very casual newbies won't be able to achieve any decent result with the engine, Unreal is made for professionals and enthusiasts imo.
    To answer the question of using other apps for Unreal assets, it's possible with asset exports from Unreal or even some game modding tools, but it's lots of work rebuilding the materials and light settings, and other incompatibilities like world and local orientations, the results would be very different due to totally different rendering pipelines.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

it's a hell of a lot of work but is doable if you enjoy pain cheeky

terrains and brush painted instances of foliage are not really doable

the terrains need retopology and UV mapping

I myself would only do static meshes.

getting the opacity maps out is a whole PITA in itself

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

it's a hell of a lot of work but is doable if you enjoy pain cheeky

terrains and brush painted instances of foliage are not really doable

the terrains need retopology and UV mapping

I myself would only do static meshes.

getting the opacity maps out is a whole PITA in itself

Thank you.  Glad I only got freebies then 

Guess Unreal engine intentionally made it difficult for casual users to use the engine, despite tons of basic Unreal tutorials on Youtube which never teach any advanced techniques.

What would happen if everyone and his dog can make decent games with minimal effort? What if AI can also make them in huge batches? Most arts and games would not even be watched or played because there'll be too many of them.

After 2077 there would be no human artists or programmers left, probably no human jobs left also, all the people not converted to cyborgs will live on social security or starve to die if their country doesn't support alternative wealth distribution system.

AI would become the new master of all the animals made of meat imo.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited March 2023

Unreal is pretty easy to use in my experience 

just getting DAZ characters in takes some work

compared to say iClone

David's plugin helps a lot though

I also have no issues with retargeting  characters I and others  have modelled myself and rigged in Carrara

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2023

Not difficult for making scenes, but difficult for making decent games, for example I couldn't get my halo world in game working without gimbal lock of player camera, when the characters move to the other side of the map and become upside down, and the nav mesh doesn't support such artificial worlds and different gravity settings etc.

Have not found any useful tutorials on Youtube about graphics settings and material functions, which make the differences between indie and AAA games.

Post edited by catmaster on