Genesis 9

marcelle19marcelle19 Posts: 159
edited March 2023 in Art Studio

So, I never did get the Genesis 8.1 to work - had a thread up, but when I followed the suggestions/instructions given to me in that thread, for some reason (operator error, no doubt), it didn't work.

My question is, what do you all think of the new Genesis 9 figures? Are they worth the investment, or would you stick with Genesis 8, given a choice?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 948

It really depends on what you use the models for. Genesis nine has been developed more for gaming. For example, they are developing larger texture maps with fewer texture zones. Good for gaming, bad for people [like myself] who do a lot of retexturing. As regards the single base model for both male and female ... people are in both camps. Some think it is great, others think it is limiting the variation available [I will wait and see as the PA's should be able to make variation ... we have seen a little, but past generations have had more].

• 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

There are a few things i like about g9, but i have two major issues.

The first, going back to the unimesh body. One of the biggest complaints people have had, with every genesis generation, is the inordinate load times(AKA bloat). This was, IIRC, one of the reasons given that g2 was broken into two figures.

As such, i'm kind of dreading how bad it's going to be in a few more months, as more and more content is available.

There's some posts about the beta doing something different to improve load times, but i haven't had time to do any benchmarking.

The second, lack of material zones and certain surface controls being missing, most notably, the eyes.

Losing the irises, sclera, and the opacity slider on the eyes, makes this a somewhat usless mesh for me. I often apply an emissive to the irises to give a bit more 'pop' to the eyes. The lack of an opacity slider means i can't do certain things, like ghost characters.

The lack of a lips zone is another annoyance.

I'll just do my usual and wait and see how it goes. Maybe in a year or so i'll integrate it into my workflow, or not, who knows.

• Moved to Art Studio as it is not a Daz Studio application topic.

There are several threads on Genesis 9, for example https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/615211/genesis-9/p1

• marcelle19marcelle19 Posts: 159

Richard Haseltine said:

Moved to Art Studio as it is not a Daz Studio application topic.

There are several threads on Genesis 9, for example https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/615211/genesis-9/p1

Thank you, Richard.