DAZ to Poser Pro?

I'm just curious if theres any way I can use my DAZ models and stuff in Poser Pro? I'm looking to get Poser because some friends told me it's better, and the renders look better and the rendertime is faster, so im just curious.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    myutogaru said:

I'm just curious if theres any way I can use my DAZ models and stuff in Poser Pro? I'm looking to get Poser because some friends told me it's better, and the renders look better and the rendertime is faster, so im just curious.

Yes, it is possible with the Dson Importer to use most Studio content in Poser...

• Is there a tutorial, or can you please explain how to use/where to find DSON importer? Is that in Poser Pro (I havent looked at any of the features yet, Im just thinking about getting it)

• DSON is a Daz Studio product that will export Daz only models (like Genesis) for use in Poser. You can get it here: http://www.daz3d.com/dson-importer

BTW: I also user PoserPro 2010 (I have the latest version, but am not yet using it). It is a very good program and I wouldn't say it has a "better" renderer, but it definitely is different and -- as such -- the images it produces do look a little different from Daz Studio.

One of the main things I use it for is to set up content that has been created for Michael 4 and Victoria 4. Sometimes I get a free outfit or prop and, although Daz Studio will load it, it doesn't do it perfectly. For example, I recently set up a Dr. Doom character for M4 that I downloaded from Sharecg.com. Cool looking outfit with the mask, armor, etc. But in Daz Studio I couldn't get the mask to load properly to his face. It loaded at about 90 degrees and it tried to conform to his head, so I couldn't adjust it manually. It gave me fits for about an hour until I popped it all into Poser and it loaded instantly without any problems. I even saved the file and then opened it in Daz Studio and -- because everything had already been placed correctly -- I didn't have any more problems. I also used it to quickly set up an Apollo Maximus figure and Poser had no problem parenting the guns to his hands (Daz Studio did have problems -- the guns would appear about a "foot" from his hand and it was too troublesom to move them around because, once parented to his hands, the normal x-y-z transform dials didn't work).

Additionally, Poser has a sketch renderer (the newest one has a cartoon renderer, which is different from the TOON renderer). It also has a built-in hair and dynamic cloth simulator.

I also use it for other scenes and certain types of renders (wish I could be more specific, but it's an artsy thing -- sometimes I just want the way things look in Poser, so I use it). I also think it's more stable than Daz Studio (no offense, guys!). I can load larger scenes and zip around inside of them without my system creaking to a veritable crawl. Finally, though, keep in mind that Genesis is a Daz product and it works best with Daz Studio. If you want to leverage a lot of older content, Poser Pro is a great investment. If you've sunk a ton into Genesis figures, you might find that D|S is the way to go.

BTW: There is a low-cost version of Poser you might want to look at, if you just want to explore the UI and get a feel for the program: http://store.smithmicro.com/productdetails.aspx?id=17194 

Good luck, and poke around the forums for more on DSON. I'm pretty sure it's been covered before in detail.

• One more thing: The link to DSON is at the bottom of every page. Just look at the footer.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

DSON is a Daz Studio product that will export Daz only models (like Genesis) for use in Poser. You can get it here: http://www.daz3d.com/dson-importer

DSON is a data exchange format...Daz-json.  The DSON Importer is the program to import/convert that format into something Poser understands.

• So then how does one export/import to poser?

• I found a few tutorials, but they're all terrible at explaining things.

•  Maybe you get a quicker and more experienced response to your questions in the Poser section: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/poser-discussion

• You should watch this 11-minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAQDLToeO8s

Now, if you've never used Poser, some of the discussion about file paths might at first be over your head, but you should stick with it to the end. The presenter repeats the process more than once, so you can stop and look at some of the path options he is choosing more than once.

If this doesn't explain the general concepts in enough detail, I suggest you get Poser (the Debut edition is only $50 -- whoa! Check it out at amazon.com. You can get it for about $20) and install it. That would give you an idea of the directory structure that Poser uses and you could experiment with the DSON importer (which you can also get for "free" by purchasing $20 worth of DSON-supported content, which might even be cheaper right now because of all the sales going on).

Good luck.

• This looks like a good video tutorial series about switching from Daz Studio to Poser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mivlWsnBx30

I only watched the first episode, but it seems like good info.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    myutogaru said:

Better?

It is another tool; take a look at what is possible, and you'll see that truly remarkable work is doable with both; you may or may not prefer it, but it is just a tool.

It has some features I would like, but I could never get the hang of the workflow, it just felt awkrard to me. But like I said, when seeing what others could do, it was down to my preferences.

• Cool, Thanks everyone! :D

• aspinaspin Posts: 219

Right now you can get the pro version for $144.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited September 2015

In a bit of a coincidence, I'm setting up an old M3 figure / character right now, so I've been using Poser Pro 2010 since yesterday (as I mentioned, on older content I think it does a better job of loading props where they are supposed to go).  Switching apps again is like driving a stick shift car after many years of driving an automatic -- you know how to do it, but it's not reflexive any more. You have to stop and think about what you're doing.

Things I prefer in Poser Pro 2010: On my PC, it just draws the screen faster and smoother. Renders are faster. I like the hand and face cameras. I like that it's easier to put props in the character's hands.

Things I prefer in Daz Studio 4.8: I like the XYZ handles that pop up in the scene when you click on an object (I've gotten very used to moving things this way). I like that the Content Library is docked -- the content library in PP2010 is free floating, and it covers the screen while I'm working with it). I like the Scene tab better than the PP2010 Hiearchy Editor.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited September 2015

mmitchell: You can dock the "free-floating" content library in Poser. I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you the exact instructions, but it basically can be docked as a tab on the right side of the viewport. I can remember having to do that in PP2012 when I first got it.

Post edited by SixDs on
  • Is DSON installed in the Poser program file or is it installed in the Poser Content File?

Thanks.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The DSON Importer for Poser needs to be installed in the application folder Runtime, the content should be installed in a writable location.