Background Question

In order to fill in the entire background with, well, a background how do I get it to put more than one panel in the scene and arrange it so that the panels are  north east south and west?  As well as sky and ground.  I can't get the panel I have to rotate to the right spot. And the ground, I am not sure how to fill the ground in completely and not just a section of it. I am building a scene but there are large empty places in it and I don't necessarily want to use a pre made scene but would prefer to learn to build it from the ground up.  Also, why is the render panel so much smaller than the entire scene I am building?  I can't find the right place to change the dimensions and I think I am going slightly blind now lol.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Under Render Settings > General you can change the dimensions.  If the aspect ratio of the dimensions you choose don't match the aspect ratio of the viewport, only the part of the viewport that fits is used.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

How are you building the background?  It sounds like you have something within the scene being used as your background and ground, rather than a backdrop, but you can't move it/them?  Perhaps if you could provide a screenshot we can better see what you mean.

• Okay I did find how to fix the view so i could see the whole thing thank you! Here is a screen shot.  And I somehow managed to get everything pulled over to the far left as well. 

Untitled.png
    1600 x 900 - 425K
  • Okay that didn't work let me try again.

Screenshot dragon.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 195K
  • Okay it keeps telling me that validate is required on the file i am trying to load.  But there isn't anywhere to validate?  Gah!  I promise I am NOT an idiot!

Untitled.png.jpg
    898 x 574 - 135K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Ok, you might be able to tile the ground.  You could make it large enough to fill the entire viewport (in the Parameters pane, with the Scale parameter), use the surface selection tool and select the ground's surface, then in the Surfaces pane, increase both the "Horizontal Tiles" and "Vertical Tiles" parameters to the number of "tiles" (repeated copies of the image used on the surface) so that the image isn't just blown up all giant and blurry.  That's assuming it's image-based, rather than using a shader of course.  The problem with this method is that you may see an obvious unnatural repetition of the pattern.  If it's a seamless image you might be able to do it.  Otherwise you might be able to put things (trees, weeds, rocks) on the seams or over any obvious repeating things.   Also, your ground is going to be VERY flat, so you might consider something designed for this purpose or a combination of many terrain pieces.

While technically you could do the same thing with the sky, I can see right away it won't work because of the seams. Try scaling it larger to fill the entire scene (or just use it as a backdrop), but if that looks blown up too large, you are going to have to either choose something else or get creative in Photoshop, perhaps tiling it there and selecting some of the clouds and using them as brushes at various scales, etc.

• Okay thank you!  I may play a bit with photoshop since I am far more familiar with that.  I want to us Daz to set up the scenes and then finish them in photoshop so it makes sense to maybe go ahead and paint a rough background to put into the scene.  Thank you for taking the time to help me!