Genesis 3 Female Ambient Surface

Hello There!

I am new to DAZ Studio but not new to 3D,so I'm in the process of figuring out the basics.

When I load the default Genesis 3 Female and apply the use the "Jeane All MAT" texture set, the ambient material is far too strong.

I did notice that if I applied another MAT file that was designed for Poser, under the "Surfaces" tab, if I click on Genesis 3 Female, after "Tags" the next parameter available is "Lighting Model' and it's set to plastic. I then go down to "Ambient Strength", and if I turn that down to zero, then the ambient lighting becomes dark as I'd expect it to be.

However, if I don't use the other MAT file, then the "Lighting Model" does not appear, and setting the "Ambient Strength" to zero does not help.

In the attached image, you can see two instances of G3F. The one on the left is with the "Jeane All MAT" file applied, and the second is with a Poser MAT file applied. On the second one, "Lighting Model" appears in the Surfaces tab while on the first one ( Jeane ) it does not appear. 

So the question is this... how do I get the "Lighting Model" to appear for the character's surface without loading this other MAT file? I would like to start off with a clean character file and not resort to tricks.

Since both of these characters are in the same scene, and the one on the left is far too bright, the problem definitely lies in the surface properties and not the light setup ( or camera headlamp )

I'm sure it's an easy solution, I am simply unfamiliar with DAZ Studio and would appreciate your help :*

LadyGodiva

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,003
    edited September 2015

(First of, cover the nipples and gens in your image, or it will be TOSsed...)

Genesis 3 doesn't have poser materials.

The non-Iray-material (the one that says "plastic" is for the 3Delight render engine. It will be autoconverted in the background so that the Iray render engine can read it.

As for the ambient setting of the skin being too high, does that mean that, when you render, the G3F literally glows? Or is it just that you see the setting with high values in it in the Surface tab? In Iray, unless you change the color from zero-zero-zero to something color, the light emitter is turned off, regardless of what values are displayed in the rest of the settings.

Please keep in mind that the preview window is not always looking like the rendered result.

Can you please dress the character to avoid TOSsing, and show us what the rendered image looks like, and perhaps post the settings of the iray skin that cause you problems?

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851

The Ambient setting on G3F are color black and strength 0%, so it's not that causing the problem.

The MATs do use AOA's SSS shader, so make sure you have the "Default Lights and Shaders" pack from your product library installed.