Create HD Morph for G8F out of G8.1F HD Morph?

There's an HD Morph slider made for G8.1F I want to use on G8Fs. I assume since the mesh is identical this should be possible, but so far I haven't been able to do this. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Load base G8.1F figure, and dial in the HD Morph slider to 100%
  2. Set figure mesh subdivision level sliders all the way UP.
  3. Export figure as OBJ
  4. Clear scene and load G8F figure
  5. Select figure, open Morph Loader Pro
  6. Select saved OBJ as morph file, click Accept

What I get is an error message: "Warning: geometry did not match, failed to create morph."

What am I doing wrong... or am I going about this entirely wrong?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

Only Daz PAs have the tools needed to create HD morphs, regular users can only load morphs created from the base resolution version of the mesh.

• Leana said:

Only Daz PAs have the tools needed to create HD morphs, regular users can only load morphs created from the base resolution version of the mesh.

Okay, but I'm not creating an HD morph, but copyng morph data from a high resolution OBJ.

• Seems crazy that a morph couldn't be somehow transferred from one figure to another that has the exact same mesh!

• I should actually try the same procedure with one of the non-HD morphs in the same G8.1F package. That would determine if the problem is in fact the "HD".

• mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited March 2023

Nope! Doesn't make a difference. I've now tried creating both the HD morph and a standard morph for G8.1F, both at base resolution and full-SubD resolutions for the G8F. All four attempts result in the same error message.

Edit: Wait... just realized that in the later attempts I forgot to delete eyelashes and the tear first...

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,462

The morph file includes information on which figure it is meant for. On non-HD morph it should be possible to change the name of the figure and the location of the file, but the HD morphs are encrypted to a level that not even the PA's that created them can decrypt them anymore to edit the contents.

• PerttiA said:

The morph file includes information on which figure it is meant for. On non-HD morph it should be possible to change the name of the figure and the location of the file, but the HD morphs are encrypted to a level that not even the PA's that created them can decrypt them anymore to edit the contents.

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I just went through my steps again with both a regular 8.1 morph and an HD 8.1 morph, this time remembering to delete lashes and tears. Both transferred to G8F in Morph Loader, but only the non-HD morph actually worked. The HD morph "transferred", but since I'd had to export it at base resolution, when I turned the slider up to 100%, there was of course no morph data to dial up! Dammit.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234
    edited March 2023

if you were trying to use morph loader for an HD morph, that definitely wont work as only acts on base mesh.

(If completely desperate, you can bake the HD morph into displacement map using something like xNormal or Blender etc.)

But considering that G8 content works on G8.1, maybe easier to just use G8.1

Post edited by lilweep on
  • mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited March 2023

lilweep said:

if you were trying to use morph loader for an HD morph, that definitely wont work as only acts on base mesh.

(If completely desperate, you can bake the HD morph into displacement map using something like xNormal or Blender etc.)

Thanks. My problem with G8.1 is that I've got many months (probably 2 years or more) of near-daily usage ahead of me with this particular customized G8 character I've created many custom poses and expressions for, and the G8.1 face control system turns that completely on its head. I might look into the displacement map idea, once I see what kind of resource drain it might be. Though in this case, dForce and conforming clothes fitting might be a problem for me too, as these morphs are for the body. I might also look into trying to re-create these HD morphs in Zbrush.

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,462

mikethe3dguy said:

lilweep said:

Thanks. My problem with G8.1 is that I've got many months (probably 2 years or more) of near-daily usage ahead of me with this particular customized G8 character I've created many custom poses and expressions for, and the G8.1 face control system turns that completely on its head. I might look into the displacement map idea, once I see what kind of resource drain it might be. Though in this case, dForce and conforming clothes fitting might be a problem for me too, as these morphs are for the body. I might also look into trying to re-create these HD morphs in Zbrush.

The G8.1 is G8 and does everything the G8 does, with the exeption of expressions and Power Pose, which can easily be fixed by removing the dummy files keeping G8 expressions and certain morphs from working on G8.1

• PerttiA said:

The G8.1 is G8 and does everything the G8 does, with the exeption of expressions and Power Pose, which can easily be fixed by removing the dummy files keeping G8 expressions and certain morphs from working on G8.1

Yeah, I actually just found that thread and in fact it works almost 100%. So I'm looking at converting my character over. Thanks for the suggestion!

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

mikethe3dguy said:

I might look into the displacement map idea, once I see what kind of resource drain it might be.

It shouldn't make much difference. For an HD morph you need the mesh render resolution pumped up anyway - if you're baking displacement maps from the HD morph, you won't get any more detail than already sculpted in, so either keep Render SubD level high (presumably 3 or 4) and Displacement SubD level at 0 OR just keep the total between Render SubD and Displacement SubD equal to the previous Render SubD level (So 2 + 2, or 3 + 1 etc).

• Frinkky said:

mikethe3dguy said:

I might look into the displacement map idea, once I see what kind of resource drain it might be.

It shouldn't make much difference. For an HD morph you need the mesh render resolution pumped up anyway - if you're baking displacement maps from the HD morph, you won't get any more detail than already sculpted in, so either keep Render SubD level high (presumably 3 or 4) and Displacement SubD level at 0 OR just keep the total between Render SubD and Displacement SubD equal to the previous Render SubD level (So 2 + 2, or 3 + 1 etc).

Interesting. I always wondered what the relationship was between them.