What causes a character to stop moving in your scene?

Sometimes my Gen 8 character will become almost impossible to move with the dials.  I can not figure out what is causing this.  At first I thought it was a product of a huge scene, but even if I delete everything around the character she still will not move.  If I add a new gen 8 character into the scene, she moves fine.  What the heck is going on?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

Which dials are you referring to?

• neomanneoman Posts: 51

Any dials that move the character...  Selecting any part of the character and trying to move her is painfully slow, almost impossible.

• Do you have clothes or hair fitted to the figure, and do they have Smoothing modifiers applied (a Mesh Smoothing group in the Parameters pane with the hair/clothing figure selected)?

• neomanneoman Posts: 51

Richard Haseltine said:

Do you have clothes or hair fitted to the figure, and do they have Smoothing modifiers applied (a Mesh Smoothing group in the Parameters pane with the hair/clothing figure selected)?

I just checked it out and they are turned on.  I donb't understand why it is so low to move the character... I've hidden other objects, deleted props, all trying to free up memory in case that was the problem and it doesn't help.  The character is "frozen" and takes up to 10 seconds to move when you are using the X,Y, Z Translate dials.

• Try turning the Smoothing Modifiers off - they can slow things down, especially with a higher number of iterations. I do have a script that you can run to suspend them and turn them back on https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwgw8ckbk46ysif/ToggleSmoothing.zip?dl=0

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,181

I have a 2x3090 graphics cards and this still happens to me and it is always hair that does it.

I save applying hair to the very last thing. So, I have to put up with my figures being bald until everything else in the scene is done.

Certain hair items and I can't even pose a finger.

Even if I hide the hair items it will still go slow. One would think hiding an item would take it out of the stream but that does not seem to be the case.

Turning off subd, lowering resolution and removing smoothing i never seem to think of that but it would probably fix this until the end when you need to up the hair quality for render.