Environment Ground Fog Controls

I need your help with the ground fog in Daz Studio. For me the controls seem to be broken. 

How do I get a smooth transition from Fog Area to clear Sky instead of a "sharp line"? 

I can control the height of the "solid Fog" by rising the Ground Fog Decay Start. If i Put it to 100 its about 1 meter heigh and thats good. And I can also control its "solid" state changing the Ground Fog Density Start Scale. 

But I can not get it so transist to clear sky in a smooth way with the rest of the controls.

Ground Fog Decay Height has absolutely no effect on the image, no matter if I put it on 50, 100,  200 or 1999999968613498880

Ground Fog Density End Scale does not help.

Ground Fog Density End does nothing. (well it turns it off, if i make it pure white) 

Pls see attached image. (turned the fog green, because I can)

Screenshot 2023-03-23 110931.png
687 x 807 - 810K

Comments

• thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151

I recently found the same thing, no matter what settings I changed, I could not get a gradual reduction at the top of the fog. Decay Height and Density End don't work as expected unless I'm missing something as well.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,169

G315t said:

I need your help with the ground fog in Daz Studio. For me the controls seem to be broken. 

How do I get a smooth transition from Fog Area to clear Sky instead of a "sharp line"? 

I can control the height of the "solid Fog" by rising the Ground Fog Decay Start. If i Put it to 100 its about 1 meter heigh and thats good. And I can also control its "solid" state changing the Ground Fog Density Start Scale. 

But I can not get it so transist to clear sky in a smooth way with the rest of the controls.

Ground Fog Decay Height has absolutely no effect on the image, no matter if I put it on 50, 100,  200 or 1999999968613498880

Ground Fog Density End Scale does not help.

Ground Fog Density End does nothing. (well it turns it off, if i make it pure white) 

Pls see attached image. (turned the fog green, because I can)

If you are using Iray, this can help make realistic fog. But, sometimes, you'll have to mess with the surface tab. SY Real Fog Iray VDB | Daz 3D 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,183

Not necessarily definitive, but this is based on my experience...

Ground Fog Decay Start is the height (above or below the floor) at which the decay starts.

Ground Fog Density Start Scale is how thick the fog is at the Ground Fog Decay Start height, multiplying by the Ground Density Start.

Ground Fog Density Start is like translucency or transparency of the fog, kind of like SSS, with funky effects if you use colour.

Ground Fog Decay Height is the distance over which the fog decays to zero. Not sure if it is absolute (from the floor) or above the Decay Start height.

Ground Fog Density End Scale is similar to the Start Scale, multiplying by the Ground Fog Density End.

Ground Fog Density End is similar to the Density Start, it determines how thick it is as it approaches the end. Also has funky effects using a colour. This value is normally very, very small, 0.1 - 0.0 (Smaller numbers for smaller environments)

So, in a large room, Decay Start at 0.0, Density Start at [1,1,1], Start Scale at 1.0, Density End Scale 1.0, Density End [0.0001, 0.0001, 0.0001] (HSV [0,0,4] from the Color Selector).

Images: Ground Fog Off, Decay Height 2.0, Decay Height 4.0 (Post Denoiser @300 it, unless you want to wait for a long time)

Aeridian Mecha Bay default.jpg
    800 x 450 - 122K
    Aeridian Mecha Bay with GrFog @2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 105K
    Aeridian Mecha Bay with GrFog @4.jpg
    800 x 450 - 99K