Tiling texture question.

pfunkyfizepfunkyfize Posts: 475
edited September 2015 in New Users

Hi all,

I am finding that if a surface has an associated texture image file in its diffuse setting, I can alter that image directly in gimp and place things like spots/stains in the right place where I want them to appear on the clothes/figure etc.

But how do I avoid tiling the alterations I make if the surface image attached is a tiling color/image? Would I have to basically make a new texture with a template of the object or is there another way?

Thanks!

Post edited by pfunkyfize on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Hi all,

I am finding that if a surface has an associated texture image file in its diffuse setting, I can alter that image directly in gimp and place things like spots/stains in the right place where I want them to appear on the clothes/figure etc.

But how do I avoid tiling the alterations I make if the surface image attached is a tiling color/image? Would I have to basically make a new texture with a template of the object or is there another way?

Thanks!

If it's a tiled image...you can't without making a complete texture that won't be tiled.

You may (but I haven't had great success with this), try to make the spots/stains/etc as an overlay and use the LIE (Layered Image Editor).   Or create a geometry shell and use a mask (created from the 'stain' image) and a very tiny offset.  Or create/use a ShaderMixer network to have a dual layer diffuse...with independent tiling.

• mjc1016 said:

If it's a tiled image...you can't without making a complete texture that won't be tiled.

You may (but I haven't had great success with this), try to make the spots/stains/etc as an overlay and use the LIE (Layered Image Editor).   Or create a geometry shell and use a mask (created from the 'stain' image) and a very tiny offset.  Or create/use a ShaderMixer network to have a dual layer diffuse...with independent tiling.

I'll look into the L.I.E. and Geometry shell to see if I can get something workable in those, I think a shader mixer network is beyond me at the moment. Thanks for the suggestions!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    mjc1016 said:

I'll look into the L.I.E. and Geometry shell to see if I can get something workable in those, I think a shader mixer network is beyond me at the moment. Thanks for the suggestions!

There's also all the hardwork done by 3dCheapskate and this...(it's basically the ShaderMixer stuff, already done...)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/71448/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Multi-Layer-Tiling-DAZ-Brick-Materials

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/7582/P15/#744801

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,645

If your having issues with repeating on the texture you can take it into Photoshop if you have it and clone over the tile and apply an offset to vary the texture up and to make sure its still a tiling texture