Motion Blur Relative to Camera position

daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459

I've set up a scene for a still frame render with a simple animation on the character.  The camera is parented to the figure in order to follow the motion relative to the background.  The goal is to blur the background in the same way that a photographer might capture a moving subject by following it as it moves.  Hopefully, this will give a sense of movement to the scene without blurring the subject.

I've not found any way to use motion blur in Iray.  In 3delight, it looks like any object that moves in a scene will have motion blur applied regardless of the camera or perspective view.  I want to make the motion blur happen relative to the camera position, not character movement.  It would be difficult to rotate/translate the entire background around a stationary figure given the pivot point is on the right hand.  See the attached test image.

test_image.png
495 x 278 - 241K
Post edited by daveleitz on

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

For the Iray question: Motion blur is a feature of Iray, but not (yet) implemented in D|S.

• Well, then, 3delight it is.  I would think that this must be a feature of 3delight, but it would appear that a camera based motion blur isn't coded into DAZ Studio either.  So, is this going to require some kind of scripting (I hope not)?

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited September 2015

Double-posted.

Post edited by NoName99 on
  • daveleitz said:

I've set up a scene for a still frame render with a simple animation on the character.  The camera is parented to the figure in order to follow the motion relative to the background.  The goal is to blur the background in the same way that a photographer might capture a moving subject by following it as it moves.  Hopefully, this will give a sense of movement to the scene without blurring the subject.

I've not found any way to use motion blur in Iray.  In 3delight, it looks like any object that moves in a scene will have motion blur applied regardless of the camera or perspective view.  I want to make the motion blur happen relative to the camera position, not character movement.  It would be difficult to rotate/translate the entire background around a stationary figure given the pivot point is on the right hand.  See the attached test image.

Saw your post in the 3Delight thread.

There are several ways to do this.

I usually add blur/movement FX like motion blur and shallow DOF in post, even when using 3d light.

As you've already noticed applying motion blur in DAZ applies it to the entire scene, adding it in post gives you control of fine tuning it precisely onto the areas of the scene you target.

What other software do you have?  Specifically, compositing software(After Effects, Nuke), or video editing software (Vegas, premiere)that has basic compositing functions. 

Adding motion blur the way you're describing is pretty straight forward depending on the tools you have available.

If you don't have other software, there are free and free for personal use compositors available.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

A pretty full package...I've only used it for color grading some stills.

https://natron.inria.fr/

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited September 2015

Thanks for the replies. smiley

I had thought of motion blur in post, but I was hoping for a more direct solution.  I'm pretty sure that Blender has this capability, though I'll have to see how it works in the compositor.  I'll see what I can do and post an update later.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    daveleitz said:

Thanks for the replies. smiley

I had thought of motion blur in post, but I was hoping for a more direct solution.  I'm pretty sure that Blender has this capability, though I'll have to see how it works in the compositor.  I'll see what I can do and post an update later.

Technically...if you are doing it in the compositor, then you are doing it in 'post'.

• daveleitz said:

It would be difficult to rotate/translate the entire background around a stationary figure given the pivot point is on the right hand.  See the attached test image.

Have you tried grouping the environment and parenting the top object (either a null or the 'group' object, whatever works best in the current version of DS) to the right hand? 

DS scripting documentation is very sparse re:motion blur unfortunately.

• daveleitz said:

It would be difficult to rotate/translate the entire background around a stationary figure given the pivot point is on the right hand.  See the attached test image.

Have you tried grouping the environment and parenting the top object (either a null or the 'group' object, whatever works best in the current version of DS) to the right hand? 

DS scripting documentation is very sparse re:motion blur unfortunately.

If I parented the set, City Courtyard in this case, to a null at the desired location for a pivot point, would that allow me to perform translations and rotations around that point?  I guess I'll have to try it out to find out.  I would like some flexibility within a scene since I may change my mind with respects to posing and animations.  Being able to move a null around and reparent the group to it would be doable.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

I tried the following of the camera and motion blurr on the rest in this render and in the end I grouped everything together that was supposed to blurr (expet his leg, but that was a different movement at the same time) and rotated it. Trying to parent the camera the the person and move them together did not work, seems DS is very stict on the topic the moved parts get blurred ignoring the movement relative to each other might be zero.

I haven't worked though understanding setting a null, so I can't help you there.

riding-the-storm.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 860K
  • daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited September 2015
    Linwelly said:

I tried the following of the camera and motion blurr on the rest in this render and in the end I grouped everything together that was supposed to blurr (expet his leg, but that was a different movement at the same time) and rotated it. Trying to parent the camera the the person and move them together did not work, seems DS is very stict on the topic the moved parts get blurred ignoring the movement relative to each other might be zero.

I haven't worked though understanding setting a null, so I can't help you there.

I did get around to using the null, and it works.  As can be seen in my image above, I wanted to slightly rotate and translate the scene around the hand of the figure.  I created the null and moved it to the desired position.  Then the entire scene, minus the character and camera, was parented to the null.  It was simple enough to do and works.  That being said, a figure interacting with objects in the scene has to be carefully posed in two time frames, with an "empty" frame between for the actual render.  I've learned a bit about animating a pose now in DAZ Studio.  I posted a result in the 3delight Laboratory thread in The Commons forum and will soon have a render ready for my gallery.  I think I'm going to have some fun making a series of action images done in 3delight with background motion blur. 

• Glad the null method worked for you, Daveleitz.

• Glad the null method worked for you, Daveleitz.

Thanks!  It was a good suggestion.