Free Software that Makes Life Easier

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Sad said:

free retopology program not tried

I got it now, but haven't tried it yet. This looks abso-freaking-lutely fan-freaking-tastic!!!

I have used instant meshes several times now. It is easy to use ... the automatically generated flow is pretty good for the meshes I have used. It is possible to redirect the flow if desired by drawing guides on the mesh, but have not tried that yet.

Definitely play with the settings. I have occasionally found some artifacts which kind of look like chips missing from sharp edges. Sometimes these can be fixed by increasing the resolution.

It would be worth paying for if the price was reasonable.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236
    cdordoni said:
    Sad said:

I got it now, but haven't tried it yet. This looks abso-freaking-lutely fan-freaking-tastic!!!

I have used instant meshes several times now. It is easy to use ... the automatically generated flow is pretty good for the meshes I have used. It is possible to redirect the flow if desired by drawing guides on the mesh, but have not tried that yet.

Definitely play with the settings. I have occasionally found some artifacts which kind of look like chips missing from sharp edges. Sometimes these can be fixed by increasing the resolution.

Agreed... and thanks for the tips! ;)

• cdordoni said:
    Sad said:

FYI, the author of Instant Meshes is Wenzel Jacob, who is also the author of Mitsuba, a very good physical renderer (and supposedly the fastest CPU only one). I was wondering why Mitsuba wasn't evolving anymore (the reason why I gave up developing an exporter for it). Anyway, Wenzel Jacob is one of the rising star of 3d development and is a name to remember.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2016
    cdordoni said:
    MistyMist said:

was there a tool to record video tutorials and narrate?

i need something will work offline.

Flashback Express (free) does basic recording with sound. Also works as a great all purpose screen recorder. There are 2 paid for versions with additional functions, like editing and annotating.

Thanks!

audio/video editing,

Post edited by Mistara on
    Philemo said:

Anyway, Wenzel Jacob is one of the rising star of 3d development and is a name to remember.

...and so is Philemo! ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,907

a free rigged FBX figure from a scan site  link on my video

I retargetted and animated her in iClone but she imports rigged to C8.5 as is, you need to add the maps

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Nice find - going to take a look!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819
    edited November 2016

For those on Windows 10 Insiders

Have you been trying the free 3d Paint tool?

from the Windows store.

3dPaint.jpg
    1202 x 934 - 86K
    Post edited by Stezza on

No, but I should... it looks really cool!!! Have you tried the free 3D Modeler Windows 10 comes with? It's kinda clunky, I think. But when I saw the demonstration, she was using her hands and VR/AR goggles! Still pretty clunky when she was demonstrating, but still... it was cool to see ;)

On another note, I've just put a small presentation about compositing software available for Free in This Post

Nuke, Fusion, Natron, and Hitfilm

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,914
    Stezza said:

from the Windows store.

You can export textures? It works on overlapping UVs?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,746
    Stezza said:

from the Windows store.

It will not let me get it nor do I see any way to get a windows version that will allow me to get it.

@ Bad Wolf

You have to wait version 14800 or enter the Insider program.

• Imago said:

Nope, no 3D painting software can work properly on overlapped UV's, why would you have your UV's like that anyways ? smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819

from the Windows store.

Stezza said:

from the Windows store.

It will not let me get it nor do I see any way to get a windows version that will allow me to get it.

MBW you do need to be in MS Windows insider program to get the app unfortunately... otherwise just sit out the wait till it is released to the masses which is I don't know when :-(

I've only played with it for a few minutes but it exports to fbx as well as the textures.. see attached the underwhelming effort I did wink

282.png
    2048 x 2048 - 1M
    3dPaint.jpg
    800 x 1172 - 326K
    Imago said:

Nope, no 3D painting software can work properly on overlapped UV's, why would you have your UV's like that anyways ? smiley

Sorry! The more I grow old, the more my memory fades! cheeky

I meant if I can paint on Genesis 1/2/3 directly and seamless on more than one material!

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I can't speak for this, but with Substance Painter, I've found that if you have more than one material, and all your materials are UV mapped to a single texture sheet, it's best to combine them into a single material for export to Substance (otherwise it'll create separate texture sheets for each material, and you'd need to recombine them in Photoshop/Gimp/etc afterwards.

I can't speak for this, but with Substance Painter, I've found that if you have more than one material, and all your materials are UV mapped to a single texture sheet, it's best to combine them into a single material for export to Substance (otherwise it'll create separate texture sheets for each material, and you'd need to recombine them in Photoshop/Gimp/etc afterwards.

...or in Carrara 8.5 Pro, using it's killer PhotoShop-style multilayer feature! ;) yes

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I don't know if it's referenced in this thread but I tested today this great free program: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/?source=top3_dlp_t5

Here a screen shot with the import into Carrara.

Test Sweet Home 3D.JPG
    899 x 658 - 90K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,746
    Imago said:

@ Bad Wolf

You have to wait version 14800 or enter the Insider program.

Trying to get that

DUDU said:

I don't know if it's referenced in this thread but I tested today this great free program: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/?source=top3_dlp_t5

I been meaning to try it out.

edited November 2016
    DUDU said:

Looks to be a nice find - somewhat similar to Carrara's Architools.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but the free Genetica Viewer is a great source of seamless textures and there are tons of presets that you can set parameters for and render out. Unless you are very into texture creation, there is no need to get the paid for version which allows you to fully edit the textures.

http://spiralgraphics.biz/products.htm

Post edited by PhilW on
    DUDU said:

Awesome, DUDU, Thanks!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

I can vouch for the simple/ease-of-use factor with SH-3D as well. Requires java if I recall correctly. Has some texture-packs and scene elements (walls, roofs, furniture, etc.) that work well for making basic scenes and background elements. Like any tool, with a little bit of work and some export/texturing work, I'd imagine some serious structures could come out it. Allows for material grouping and such, so after-the-fact texturing was pretty easy. Intuitive to use as well. I had cause to bring some buildings into bryce a while back and it fit the bill nicely.

--ms

• I know it is liked on the iClone forum by many but I have never actually tried it.

Maybe I should enlightened

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited November 2016

I mentioned this over in a stereo-scopic tool thread, and thought it might be good have here:

It's a site that contains a series of free stereo-centric utilities - e.g.  the 'stereo-photo-maker, or stereo-movie-maker' site (windows only, I think). Been around for a good while, and there are a bunch of other cool resources/images/web-based viewers, and the like on this site:

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/index.html

If you like stereo-scopic stuff o any kind, you'll find some fun here.

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • VECTARY, free, in browser 3D modeler, pretty good, still in beta, ya all check it out smiley

https://www.vectary.com/engine/

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

http://locate32.cogit.net/

hard drive search for a file - really fast, can load directory file is in or run the file - eg jpeg will load up eg photoshop

great for finding where textures are  on the drive

edited January 2017

I know it is liked on the iClone forum by many but I have never actually tried it.

Maybe I should enlightened

Speaking of iClone, iClone 5.5 is now Free, along with some content to get started ;)

Edit: bummer.... must have been time-limited :(

head wax said:

http://locate32.cogit.net/

hard drive search for a file - really fast, can load directory file is in or run the file - eg jpeg will load up eg photoshop

great for finding where textures are  on the drive

Good call posting this here! Thanks man!

VECTARY, free, in browser 3D modeler, pretty good, still in beta, ya all check it out smiley

https://www.vectary.com/engine/

Hmmm... pretty cool, berry interestingk! yes

Also, just an FYI, a friend of mine turned me onto a place called SharewareOnSale, which then gets the user onto an e-mail list. I don't often like being on constant e-mail lists, but this one is kind of fun, and the author certainly deserves kudos for putting in a lot of work towards getting his free members a lot of great deals - most of them Free.

Most of the e-mails I get from it get deleted simply because I'm not interested in what's in the title of the message - so it's easy that way. But if I change my mind about something, I don't need to fret because if I look into the next message I get, it'll still be in there, as long as it wasn't labeled Last Chance.

I just recently got a cool free Office suite, even though I already enjoy free Libre Office.org, this one is cool too. I just got the BioWare game Mass Effect 2 Digital Collector's Edition, and that's how I learned about iClone 5, which was the first one that got me signed in to the list, which I can unsubscribe from at any time ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

The iClone 5.5 link seemed to be just a one month trial rather than a free version?

PhilW said:

The iClone 5.5 link seemed to be just a one month trial rather than a free version?

Bummer. Removed link :(

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

thanks Dart, yes bummer !

here's a simple one

http://www.7-zip.org/

it's an obvious one but I just nearly lost a few hours work because I saved a car file as compressed, and I NEVER do, but a long term user advised me a few months ago that they always saved compressed......

and I took their advice and got an end of file error ^%$%$&^*&^*&^%%$$%#@!!!!!! Gah

luckily  i Unzipped the car file (didnt even change suffix) then changed it back to a car file and it loaded ... thank fully!

7 zip was Fenric's suggestion a long time ago?

thanks Fenric