Render to disk progress, is % complete predictable or not

Does anybody know if the "Render to disk" progress percentage has any bearing on reality, or has a predictable pattern?  I've never really paid attention to it, but for example it was moderately fast for maybe days up until around the 40% range, where it then slowed to a crawl in the last few weeks creeping up maybe a percent every few days, then suddenly this morning it was unexpectedly and completely done (yay, I thought it was going to run into October!). 

I know the final displayed value doesn't get to 100% and when the render completes it's still stuck at a value less than that because the screen doesn't refresh or something, I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about during the actual progress of the rendering.

If it's just random, that's fine, I'll just ignore the %.  However if it makes sense in some way I just haven't realized yet, I would be curious to know what that is to help make a vague guess as to whether the render will finish in days or months or what.

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,181

I don't know anything about rendering to Disk. Maybe David's tutorial will help you.