Face White Without Textures in iRay Render

inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

This has happened to  me a couple of times when I try to render with iRay. (Most of the time it's OK.) The face of the character renders white. If I render with 3Delight, it's OK. This is with genesis 2 males. If I try it in Lux, it's also OK. (I'm on a Mac, by the way.) Using D|S 4.8. The first time this happened, I thought it was because I had morphed the face of the character a good deal. This time, it's the Boris HD preset without any additional morphing. 

Oh, both times this happened, the character had the Maxim texture on him. Could this have to do with the Maxim texture?

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 2.20.59 AM.png
555 x 451 - 305K
Post edited by inquire on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

He's probably got a 3Delight shader on his face.Iray can be a bit picky about the shaders, so try the iray materials preset.You can hold down the CTRL button when you click the preset and it won't replace your textures, just replace the shader.Select ignore from the menu when it pops up.See if that helps.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

Nope. That isn't it. I tried the iRay shaders that come with 4.8, in Materials. I also tried the DAZ Uber one in Shader Presets. And, I tried the Javier Michael Human Surface Shader. None work. If I switch to a different texture, instead of Maxim, everything works OK.

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 1.36.50 PM.png
    405 x 307 - 157K
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

I don't have those textures, so hopefully someone that does can post here with the results they get.

From the screenshot you posted, it looks like nothing on the face has any color at all, not even the eyes.It's hard to tell the image is so small.The face textures shouldn't be changing the eyes at all.They use a different texture and are on a separate surface from the face.

Could be the preset is messed up, and it's not adding the textures correctly.

Have you checked to see if there are any textures in those slots in the surface tab?

• inquire said:

The first time this happened, I thought it was because I had morphed the face of the character a good deal. This time, it's the Boris HD preset without any additional morphing.

Morphing never has any effect on textures, this definitely looks like a glitch in the way the materials were converted (whether manually or automagically) into Iray.

BTW, you should definitely use the Iray shader converters in Materials, they're optimised for the different material types on the G2 figures — Thin Water on the eyes, a bit glossy on the lips and mouth, glossier on the finger/toe nails, etc. The Base Uber converter just makes everything into the same kind of Iray material, which does work, but the final result won't look as good as it could be.

One possibility, does the face surface use a custom shader? The Iray converters seem to be more or less OK at handling things like AoA SSS or UberSurface, but custom shaders sometimes do Weird Stuff™ when you run one of the converters over them.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,097

Thanks for the suggestions. At this point, I think it has to do with the Maxim textures. If I change the textures, the figure renders OK. If I return to that texture set, I get the white face. And yes, I think the iRay shaders in Materials are better for a figure than the Uber Shader in Shader Presents. Javier Michael's Human Surface Shader is also very good.