Carrara, Mac and Video Cards

I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro. It has been a great machine for me and still does all I need it to do. 

The one area it is lacking is the original video card - ATI Raedon 5770 with 1GB memory. I am considering upgrading that card to an AMD HD 7950 (3GB). It is compatible with my system, has Mac drivers and looks to be the best all around choice (if not a little pricey).

Would a card like this provide any performance boost for Carrara? Does it have the potential for any incompatibilty with Carrara?

Comments

• Carrara's native renderer is CPU only, so for that, it will make no difference. I don't know about Octane or the :ux based renderers.

You could see a performance boost in the Assembly Room, the Vertex Modeler, etc. as they use the graphics card. As long as the graphics card supports OpenGL it should work.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

As EP said, it's no benefit to native Carrara. It's also no benefit to DAZ Studio with IRay, since that will only make use of an Nvidia GPU. Can't speak for Octane, Luxus Core etc.

• Octane nvidia only too but DAZ Iray will use the CPU if no nvidia card, Carrara itself uses the CPU full throttle so a good computer an advantage there with lots of cores and RAM,

graphics cards are cheaper than powerful computers which is why many like me use graphics based renderers instead, Octane while dear still was cheaper than a very fancy computer but Carrara plugin PC only so not for you.

• jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140

Thanks for the info. I went ahead an upgraded. Am seeing some performance gains in other graphic apps. For some reason I though Carrara off-loaded processing to a graphic card. Guess I was mistaken.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

Luxus I believe uses OpenCL if that helps any.  Luxus, LuxCore