Lost my avatar

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
edited August 2012 in The Commons

Sob. I've lost my avatar. Remember, the squirrel with the animated whip? Somewhere during a computer hardware failure and transfer of files to the new computer, I lost the DAZ Studio files of the scene, the rendered frames, and the specially configured GIF animation. :-( (*Whaaaah*)

I've been through every archive CD, DVD, external hard drive, and spare drives on other computers but I simply don't have any of it. (*boogers*)

I even had disabled my avatar from my profile at DAZ during my petulant period after their website change SNAFU.

I hate reinventing the wheel. Is there any possibility that there is a copy of that avatar still at DAZ or in someone's private stash (I know that I've archived a few of the best of other people here)?

I loved that avatar because it was "me". Sadistic and a little squirrely! :-o

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Well LG, if you lost your avatar . . . what's that over there to the left of your post? To me it looks just like you, or at least how I remember you looking. ;-)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I see that also... sure looks like an Avatar.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035
    edited August 2012

I COULD see it on my Android but NOT WinIE!!!

SC20120824-034951.png
    1024 x 600 - 86K
    Untitled.jpg
    979 x 400 - 96K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,440
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Well LG, if you lost your avatar . . . what's that over there to the left of your post? To me it looks just like you, or at least how I remember you looking. ;-)

Hmmm...
    As evidenced by the attached image below, I do not see my avatar nor your avatar but I do see the one below you

Curiouser and curiouser!

Capture.JPG
    458 x 794 - 64K
    edited December 1969

cannot find an image to download on Win IE! not miss B's either!
    android can

1751197647d8969fb2c44.gif
    100 x 100 - 5K
    edited December 1969

Ah ha!! Are you IE? IE does not show all Avatars for some stupid reason. I'm on Chrome now and it all works now.

edited December 1969

good grief I am logged into and browsing the forum on my Android and IE simultaneously now! weird!!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I see all Avatars on FireFox as well,

edited August 2012

Jaderail said:
    Ah ha!! Are you IE? IE does not show all Avatars for some stupid reason. I'm on Chrome now and it all works now.

Thank y'all for pointing out the issue. Yes, I'm IE9. I always run latest version of IE. I did install Chrome and when tested it does show my avatar. However, I'm not going to switch to Chrome just for that reason. I'm an IE believer. If websites don't work under IE then that's their problem. Moreover, I don't need to see my avatar but others might just so that they can easily recognize me and either jump at the chance to see what clever thing I'm espousing now, or get fair warning that a bitch is imminent.

Now that I was able to download a copy of my squirrely GIF I'm going to re-upload it and see if that fixes anything. Probably won't, but I'm sure DAZ will get around to fixing their website sometime "soon". (*sigh*).

Edited to add:
    Ooh, ooh! I fixed it! After I uploaded the image again, my avatar shows up.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

fixed on IE for me now!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Edited to add:
    Ooh, ooh! I fixed it! After I uploaded the image again, my avatar shows up.

Excellent!! As a freelance web designer I can tell you . . . well I won't go into the issues of earlier versions of IE (6, 7 and in some instances 8), but IE9 shouldn't be much of a problem, so I'm glad you can now see the avatars.

I know there's been a couple of posts about issues with the store when using IE as well. Don't recall exactly, but I think it was an issue with downloading files in ZIP format rather than the old EXE format. Not sure what that's about, but then I haven't used IE except to check my web coding since Y2K, so haven't run into these types of issues in a long time.

edited December 1969

Hmm... I wonder why re-uploading fixes it. I now see LG in IE9 also. But Miss B only shows in Chrome. I'm like LG in that I prefer IE. I only use Chrome for my CV functions, (Helping Users). I swap to IE for all my other Web work.

edited December 1969

Daz fed all the existing avatars through when they got avatars working, so it may be something to do with the way they did that. Or it may have been that wa done done before they added the IE9 fix bit they did.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hmm... I wonder why re-uploading fixes it. I now see LG in IE9 also. But Miss B only shows in Chrome. I'm like LG in that I prefer IE. I only use Chrome for my CV functions, (Helping Users). I swap to IE for all my other Web work.

I've given up building websites. Just too complicated for this old brain anymore. (Anybody want a perfectly good copy of Adobe Dreamweaver CS4? I'll release the license.)

However, I might have a clue to the strange behavior. Before I re-uploaded my avatar image, I had no image displayed in my avatar control page. This may have something to do with the fact that I stated earlier I had "removed" my avatar during the early days of the new website debacle. How other people were able to see my avatar despite me having "removed" it, I'm sure I don't want to hazzard a guess. Oy! :-o

edited August 2012

Daz moved all the old Avatars as a surprise to the users. I still do not see all of them in IE9, even with the IE fix Daz did.
    I think I have an older version of DreamWeaver. Like you I never build web pages anymore. I don't even have a site anymore.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

lol! I never actually realized Daz moved all the old avatars as I reuploaded mine as soon as I read posts were being bumped and thought everyone had done the same! :red:

edited December 1969

Yeah, as Jaderail said it was meant to be a total surprise that suddenly all the Avatars appeared, but of course there were some of us who Added our own avatars as soon as we knew they were doing it, and thus spoiled the surprise a bit. :red:

What I am saying is that it is possible that the Avatars were added before the IE fix, so the peeps whose avatars are not showing for some reason in IE still may need to do what LG did and edit and reupload them themselves. I don't know this for a fact, just surmising it could have happened that way.