AI Animations

AI can make movies, edit actors, fake voices. Hollywood isn’t ready.

“It took Chad Nelson about a week to make thousands of photos of furry creatures and magical forests using Dall-E, an artificial intelligence image generator that has gone viral over the past year. Now, he’s made the first animated short film that uses images he generated exclusively from the AI tool.  Nelson’s five-minute film, called “Critterz,” was released online this week and introduces viewers to cuddly creatures that inhabit an imaginary jungle, resembling a cross between a Pixar creation and a David Attenborough-style documentary.  It’s an early example highlighting the possibilities and pitfalls of using artificial intelligence in filmmaking, a development that both excites and worries Hollywood.”   (Washington Post, 14Apr2023)

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

LOL Steve, you are poking a hornet's nest,

AI a dirty word to some,

I have played with it a lot and am judged harshly for even just doing that, simply playing with, experimenting not selling images or putting them in galleries or anything only some social media posts and an unmonetised Youtube channel showing my experiments.

We have a thread here in the Carrara forum already too BTW

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191

WendyLuvsCatz said:

LOL Steve, you are poking a hornet's nest,

AI a dirty word to some,

I have played with it a lot and am judged harshly for even just doing that, simply playing with, experimenting not selling images or putting them in galleries or anything only some social media posts and an unmonetised Youtube channel showing my experiments.

We have a thread here in the Carrara forum already too BTW

Yes, I thought it would be somewhat controversial, but this is the first time I recall a report of AI animations.  I have no problem with your experiments, and have enjoyed seeing some of them here as I recall.  If this fits in the existing thread, OK with me to move this there.

up to the mods

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/571401/the-future-and-artists-redundancy#latest

I just need to point out a heavy traffic long ongoing thread in the commons was locked today

so it is probably a topic best kept to existing threads

and warning you many have strong feelings about AI

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

up to the mods

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/571401/the-future-and-artists-redundancy#latest

I just need to point out a heavy traffic long ongoing thread in the commons was locked today

so it is probably a topic best kept to existing threads

The issue is when people start arguing at each other, rather than discussing the topic (without making outright accusations against other entities).

WendyLuvsCatz said:

up to the mods

Yup.

No, not yet, anyway, although I see the problems with copyright type issues.  I don't intend to use AI for animations, I'd rather do my own little stories, that's the fun of it.  Especially with Carrara, which has become second nature.  My early efforts at Blender (to keep up with one favored vendor of great scenes - previously VUE format) have been discouraging.  I'm sure it can do everything I need, I just have trouble figuring out how.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Steve K said:

AI can make movies, edit actors, fake voices. Hollywood isn’t ready.

“It took Chad Nelson about a week to make thousands of photos of furry creatures and magical forests using Dall-E, an artificial intelligence image generator that has gone viral over the past year. Now, he’s made the first animated short film that uses images he generated exclusively from the AI tool.  Nelson’s five-minute film, called “Critterz,” was released online this week and introduces viewers to cuddly creatures that inhabit an imaginary jungle, resembling a cross between a Pixar creation and a David Attenborough-style documentary.  It’s an early example highlighting the possibilities and pitfalls of using artificial intelligence in filmmaking, a development that both excites and worries Hollywood.”   (Washington Post, 14Apr2023)

be very interesting to see!

edited April 2023

Headwax said

be very interesting to see!

Post edited by Steve K on
    edited April 2023
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

how wacky was that! laugh

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,983

Stezza said:

how wacky was that! laugh

+ 1   _  yeah ,  but  Cool  though      ^.^

Carrara animation AI music 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited July 2023

Fascinating.  I have not had any experience at all with AI and music.  Thanks for posting.  Worth a site visit to music AIs.  On AI more generally, my view is still curious, cautious, and underinformed.  I am checking it out, and I do think some versions of AI will be incorporated in the tools we use, from word processing software to image editing software, whether people are for it or against it.  So I am poking nose inside the tent and looking around.  I very briefly used ChatGPT on the writing side.  On subjects upon which I know something, or at least am considered to know something, ChatGPT gives very general answers with all the jargon, but without any real depth.  I consider it a trap for the unwary.  Notoriously, a lawyer used ChatGPT to assist in writing an official court filing and ChatGPT made up fake cases.  Lawyer is going through a disbarment proceeding, but may get leniency because there was no intent to deceive (just negligence).  Correctly or incorrectly, I project that finding on to the subjects which I don't know much, so I am suspicious of writing AIs.  On the visual side, I have tried a few web based AI's but have not been terribly impressed, other than with speed.  I am still trying to install Stable Diffusion locally but (a) it is a complicated thing to do, and (b) my family obligations had me in and out of Arkansas too frequently to have the patience to deal with the complications involved with step (a).  I think I am a good candidate for locally installed Stable Diffusion, or something like it, because it would speed my workflow tremendously for silly figure projects if I could 'train' a local AI version on my specific characters. 

Here is a link to one example of a lawyer misusing AI.  https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business-and-practice/lawyers-ai-blunder-shows-perils-of-chatgpt-in-early-days

Post edited by Diomede on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Cool.  I have long experimented with various "algorithmic composition" programs, many of which have disappeared.  Blue Ribbon Soundworks and their "Superjam!" program were gobbled up by Microsoft and disappeared, Twelve Tone Systems' "Sound Globs" didn't sell enough to get updated for PC's running Windows, etc.  I still use PG Music's "Band In A Box" and Magix' "Music Maker" (now with an "AI" feature), but this AI approach is a whole different approach, I think.  cool

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Cool.  I have long experimented with various "algorithmic composition" programs, many of which have disappeared.  Blue Ribbon Soundworks and their "Superjam!" program were gobbled up by Microsoft and disappeared, Twelve Tone Systems' "Sound Globs" didn't sell enough to get updated for PC's running Windows, etc.  I still use PG Music's "Band In A Box" and Magix' "Music Maker" (now with an "AI" feature), but this AI approach is a whole different approach, I think.  cool

they all use 4 boring tunes, the AI is the LLM Chat generated lyrics and singing  

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Nice fly-through!

AI music still sounds like crap.  But it won't eventually. Easy to forget that AI art was also crap just two years ago.

No offense my dear, but have you ever considered typing in some verses that rhyme? smiley I thought that your text was actually pretty interesting, but I wonder if AI would do a better job at music if it had stuff that rhymed?

UnifiedBrain said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Nice fly-through!

AI music still sounds like crap.  But it won't eventually. Easy to forget that AI art was also crap just two years ago.

No offense my dear, but have you ever considered typing in some verses that rhyme? smiley I thought that your text was actually pretty interesting, but I wonder if AI would do a better job at music if it had stuff that rhymed?

all I typed in was Nosferatu's castle, the large language model created the lyrics

I could write better ones and compose music but this was the whole point of the video, silly AI music

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

WendyLuvsCatz said:

all I typed in was Nosferatu's castle, the large language model created the lyrics

I could write better ones and compose music but this was the whole point of the video, silly AI music

Thanks for the clarification.  Gotta admit, I did chuckle at how overly stiff and goofy it sounded.  Point made.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

they all use 4 boring tunes, the AI is the LLM Chat generated lyrics and singing  

Ah, so not quite there, yet.  wink

The programs I mentioned, "Band In A Box" and "Music Maker", sound like toys but they have developed a lot and I think can make passable music for animations, if not Grammy winners.  I used a Music Maker country song in ths video @ ~3:10, and a music box tune from Band-In-A-Box @ ~ 4:38 (I've mentioned this before, but maybe some missed it).  Both were essentially edits of sample tunes that came with the program:

Elvis sings Baby got Back

Johnny Cash sings Barbie Girl

edited July 2023

our future is now

(not mine)

it's a good thing Runway2 is rather dear and I never got to use it

I can however use Zeroscope on my PC

yeah this one's mine

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

more SongR with a Carrara animation 

Great stuff!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

more SongR with a Carrara animation 

Interesting.  I've been watching some lectures on how directors and actors prepare for Shakespeare plays (in a word, extensively, word by word in some instances).  Some of the rehearsals are "blocking" rehearsals - testing where the actors stand, their position/posture, etc.  It can make a huge difference, changing the meaning of some of the lines, even the scene overall.  This animation reminds me of one (of many) blocking trials.

entirely AI

be very scared

laugh

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

entirely AI

be very scared

I am more queasy than scared, the instability is really off-putting for me.

animated old photographs with the Pika Labs Beta on Discord
    https://discord.gg/pika

for Richard Haseltine a scary and queasy one heart

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

for Richard Haseltine a scary and queasy one heart

Still not suire this is the future, except perhjaps for the makers of motion-sickness pills.