new font

Hi everybody!!!

I have added a new type to the "fonts" window folder, but it is not in the text editor of C 8 pro... How to have it in the text editor???

and also, is it possible, once a replicator has been setted up to "instances", real items, is it possible to animate it?  and, generally, to animate the replicators?

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Hiya,  Is the actual name of the font the same as you expected?  Sometimes when I acquire fonts, the name in the font folder is different.  So if you have checked and it is the same name, then perhaps you had Carrara open when you added it?  If so, I think you might need to close and re-open Carrara to establish a link with the new font.  Sometimes I have this problem as I work with InDesign and Illustrator all the time and I often have to do this if it does not automatically update or refresh the font menu.

Hope that helps, or that someone more familiar with this comes along today.

Cheers, SileneUK

• Did you actually install the font, or just copy it to the fonts folder?  Can you see the font in your normal word processor or image editor as an option?  On my computer just copying it to the fonts folder does not ialways install it correctly - I often need to either double click on it or right-click and choose install.  

Also, to SileneUK's first point about the name - I have this problem also sometimes, but if you right click on the font file and choose preview it will show you a preview of the font with the actual name as it will appear in your software at the top.

Not sure about animating replicators.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

You can add animated objects to a replicator, or a surface replicator., EG a flock of birds flying,(replicator) or Grass blowing in the breeze (Surface rreplicator)

if you add an animated object to a replicator,.. then all the "replicated" versions of that object will also be animated, since they are duplicates of the source object.

converting the "replicated" objects to "Real instances" .. would create multiple real objects which may not be the best idea, and isn't needed in order to have animated objects

You can use "Real instances" rather than replicated objects to ceate animations using Physics, for example,.. a simple sphere , set to use Physics motion,. could be added to a replictor to create a bunch of sphere's which could be dropped

You can animate some settings within the replicator as well as the position, rotation etc. but that may not be what you want.

Perhaps if you explain what effect youre trying to achive then I could be more helpful.

• thank you for your help!!!

well, I suppose I have a bug, on that type-font problem: it is garamond pro, which is "editable"  in the windows-font folder... the letter appears without problem in Rhino3d, for example, but nothing to do to see it in C8 pro...I think there is something about the "sort" of type as: (don't laugh) I never uninstall Carrara3 from  my computer, for some reasons... well, in C3, I see the type in the text  room, but when I click "abc, etc", nothing is written... as soon as I change of type, the text (dramatically) appear... what a mystery!...

ok, I'm going to import letters from rhino... not very convenient...

3d age: I have to do a page of book, the letteres begin to move from the page and finish by make the shape of a running girl...  I can animate the legs and so on of the girl, but from the beginning, from the book page, it seems to be more complicated... when creating real instances, the file becomes very very heavy...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Is the font TrueType? OpenType? Or some other format?

I was thinking at first you had a restricted licence font, but no. 

OK, I have both versions, and then some, of Garamond. 

Garamond (the plain version)  is a Monotype True Type font using TTF outlines.

Garamond  Premier Pro  is an Adobe Open Type font that uses PostScript outlines. There are Open Type fonts which do use True Type outlines and those should show up. Garamond Prem Pro isn't one of them. 

I have never thought about this before because I use Adobe 2D software which allows any OTFs. Only restricted licence fonts won't embed into my pdfs. I have to change them to vectors/outlines in Illustrator or InDesign, or if I am working in Photoshop, rasterise the type..

I found online that AutoCAD does NOT recognise Open Type fonts which use Post Script outlines. So perhaps 3D programmes in gneral do not bother to include a utility to recognise the post script outlines.

It seems Carrara follows the same protocol as AutoCAD.

If you have regular Garamond, isn't that close enough? 

frown Silene

edited September 2015

WOO HOO!

I found a cool tool. And it's FREE! There are a few of these, but I tried this one and it worked a treat. It converts fonts to other types of fonts.

https://onlinefontconverter.com/

First... make a backup copy of your current Garamond Premier Pro font folder and save it outside of the master font file folder, eg on your desk top. I did this because I did not think I could re-name my new font files and have them work. And I didn't want to corrupt my current OTF version of this font. In the end, it was not needed, but I have kept it in case some time in the future I want to put the original OTF back into my Fonts master folder.

(1) Just tick the box for TTF  (2)  Then you can literally drag and drop a font folder onto the dialogue window in the box that comes up. You can do each font separately, or the whole folder. For Garamond Prem Pro that is 4 files in one folder. I think if you just do the Regular and Semibold and NOT the italicised ones, it will be sufficient (see explanation about opening Carrara below)  (3) Click DONE and it will upload your fonts  (4) When done, a little message about donating comes up. You can do that or just click on SAVE MY FILES and they will download.

Once downloaded, I just dragged and dropped them into my Fonts master file folder and allowed them to install and replace the Garamond Premier Pro files that I had left behind. Wah-lah. If you open those font files, in the preview, you will see at the top they are now TTF outlines, not PostScript outlines. How cool is THAT!

NOW, with bated breath I opened  Carrara and went to Insert Text and WAH-LAH, I saw Garamond Prem Pro in the list (See attached image). It included the Regular and the Semibold. Carrara did not read the italicised ones (which are in the actual fonts system folder) as they put a faux italics on the font when you choose italics from their drop down above the area where you type in the text.ETA I did convert the italics ones to see what would happen. On second thought, all files in the GPP font folder should be uniform, so I'd convert the italics ones even if Carrara doesn't read them. You may want them there for Word or other programme.

Note: The first time I did it for all 4 types of Garamond PP and I got 4 zips in a master zip file. I did get an error on one of zips inside that the zip process failed, even though the other three mini-zips were fine. (Each mini-zip had one of the 4 font styles).  So tried again, but I just put that one single font FILE in the drag/drop area and had the converter do that one separately. Worked fine that time. I got one zip file back in download that I then installed as above.

I have still not changed the name of the folder in Fonts so I could have both versions (the old OTF and new TTF) in the master Fonts folder. I was concerned it would not work. I might try renaming it when I have time to see if it matters when I use my Adobe programmes.

Hope it works for you... this is very useful for me for other reasons.

laugh SIleneUK

Font-hell.png
    707 x 441 - 76K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI

I have to do a page of book, the letteres begin to move from the page and finish by make the shape of a running girl...  I can animate the legs and so on of the girl, but from the beginning, from the book page, it seems to be more complicated... when creating real instances, the file becomes very very heavy...

I'd suggest that using carrara's particle system, rather than the replicators.

If you create some text (individual letters) as "texture maps" preferably in PNG format with transparent background,..

you can use these to create shaders for a small plane, or vertex object,. which will become your particle (text letters)

these text leter particles can be emitted from the page

the motion of the particles can be controlled by using Forces, such as a Flow force or Point force,.

the position and strength of the forces can be animated, and the particles will follow.

You could also use a standard particle, such as meta-balls, to create a "liquid ink" effect. rising from the page. (for a close up of the text rising)

To create the transition effect between the flying text letters, and the running figure,. you can make your figure invisible, or add another figure,. which you can use as an "Emitter" for more text particles,

I've dione a quick example to explain using V4

pics to help explain

Text_Part_V4_001.jpg
    640 x 480 - 42K
    Text_Part_V4_020.jpg
    640 x 480 - 58K
    Text_Part_V4_040.jpg
    640 x 480 - 60K
    Text_Part_V4_090.jpg
    640 x 480 - 33K
    Text_Part_V4_124.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
  • thank you so much for your help, and ypour time, Silene and 3d age!... 

I was able with your hints to use the letters in the first steps, wich was the assignment... If the "full" work is green lighted, (it was the purpose of the pictures and (rough) animation I did), I 'll try to 1)understand and 2) try to practice your explanations, 3d age... Right now, as I don't really use the particles in C 8, I'm not sure to understand clearly!..

Thank you again!!!!