White speckles on my render?

fiziwigfiziwig Posts: 14
edited September 2015 in New Users

What's going on with this? I get white speckles all over my render. The speckles move when I move the light sources, but they are always there.

There are usually a few speckles when it starts to render, but more and more speckles show up as the render proceeds. By the time it's done it's got speckles all over the place. Here's and example: (EDIT: to add that this is an Iray render)

Post edited by fiziwig on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,122

These are called "fireflies".They are pretty common in render engines like iray.They are usually caused by the lighting.If there isn't enough light in the scene , you will get these.I just went through this with a render I did over in the monthly new user contest.It didn't matter how long I let it run, or how many samples it had, the fireflies wouldn't go away until increased the amount of light in the scene. I had to fiddle with the tone mapping to get the look I wanted after that.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Also, surfaces play some role...the glossier/more reflective surfaces tend to be more prone to causing them.

• icecrmn said:

These are called "fireflies".They are pretty common in render engines like iray.They are usually caused by the lighting.If there isn't enough light in the scene , you will get these.I just went through this with a render I did over in the monthly new user contest.It didn't matter how long I let it run, or how many samples it had, the fireflies wouldn't go away until increased the amount of light in the scene. I had to fiddle with the tone mapping to get the look I wanted after that.

Thanks for that info. Would it help to increase the light and decrease the shutter speed or film ISO?

I experiment with it and see what I can discover.

• mjc1016 said:

Also, surfaces play some role...the glossier/more reflective surfaces tend to be more prone to causing them.

I tried cutting out all glossiness and specularity on the surfaces, but that didn't help. The texture is on a structure from Poser. Ever since I started using DAZ Studio a couple days ago I really can't go back to Poser. It's too strange. DAZ Studio seems a lot more natural and intuitive. I was thinking it might possibly have something to do with moving the object from Poser to DAZ, but I guess not.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The next question, are you using Iray?  If so, are you letting Studio do an automatic conversion of the surfaces or are you adding the Iray specific (or Iray Uber Base) presets? 

Because cutting the glossiness/specularity in the default surface may not help...

• fiziwigfiziwig Posts: 14
    edited September 2015
    mjc1016 said:

The next question, are you using Iray?  If so, are you letting Studio do an automatic conversion of the surfaces or are you adding the Iray specific (or Iray Uber Base) presets? 

Because cutting the glossiness/specularity in the default surface may not help...

Yes, I am using IRay. As for the rest of what you asked, I have no idea what any of that means. I've only been working with DAZ Sudio for four days now.

Yesterday I did a render with 2 point lights and no dome light. It was very dark, and came out perfectly with no speckles. It used DAZ content entirely.

Today I did a render with 2 point lights and no dome and it was full of speckles. So I turned the dome back on, and it made no difference. Still speckled. So I cranked the dome intensity up to 30, to the point where everything that was not in sahodw was washed out to white, and the shadows still had speckles. This render used  Poser scene and a DAZ Genesis figure. Both the background AND the DAZ figure had white speckles all over them. (That's the render in my original post above.)

So finally, I deletred the Poser scene and kept only the DAZ Genesis figure, and it renders fine with no speckles. SO the speckling is being cause by the Poser scene. In fact loading the Poser scene even causes the DAZ figure to render with speckles.

I tried rendering with OpenGL and with 3DLight and even with the dome cranked up to 30 times brightness they both rendered the scene as a solid black screen.

I got DAZ four days ago, and I got Poser Pro yesterday, and so far Poser's interface just annoys me. I find it impossible to point and place cameras and lights. That's why I moved the assests (purchased from Content Paradise) over to DAZ. I like the DAZ interface much better. I hope I don't have to go back to Poser to be able to render these scenes. (Or worse yet, to have to learn POV Ray! Gasp!)

Post edited by fiziwig on
  • ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

I'd go back to the default Iray settings, and load just the scene (no characters). Then, select everything the scene, and in the Surfaces tab select all the surfaces. Apply the Iray Uber standard surface to everything in that scene. This prevents the Iray Just-In-Time shader converter from applying a "best guess" on the surfaces. Doing this all-at-once shader application is likely to mess up materials in your scene. You'll probably have to adjust them if they're too glossy.

Add a new camera, and in the camera properties, turn off the headlamp. This prevents odd specular highlights from influencing your scene.

If the Poser scene came with lights, delete ALL of them, and for now use only the standard Environment dome and "Ruins" HDR. Sounds like you tried it already, but go back to it for the time being. Try a render.

What you want to do is first minimize the unknown variables, then build the scene back up one piece at a time. You've gone far afield in trying different things, and it's best to return to the defaults and start over, this time with a known camera, known lights, and known shaders.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

I forgot to mention your scene cannot be all-enclosed in order to use the Environment dome. Unlike the renderer in Poser, light from the environment will not penetrate ceilings and walls. If your scene has a roof, try to hide it in the Scene tab. This is the quickest way of letting in the light from the environment dome.