Hair - unwanted 'fly away' strands - how to hide/remove?

Most if not all of the hair that I have bought has 'fly away' strands (see example attached).  Due respect the hair creators, but these look unrealistic to my eye, and give the lie to the illusion that we are trying to create.  From some angles it's plain as day that they're just flat curves with colour on them.  I'd prefer to hide them, remove them or flatten them down against the rest of the hair.  But the strands don't seem to be separate objects that I can select.  Can anyone please suggest a way to hide them in Daz, so I don't have to mess about trying to edit them out of the rendered image?

HairStrands.png
460 x 594 - 624K

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,844
    edited September 2015

Most if not all of the hair that I have bought has 'fly away' strands (see example attached).  Due respect the hair creators, but these look unrealistic to my eye, and give the lie to the illusion that we are trying to create.  From some angles it's plain as day that they're just flat curves with colour on them.  I'd prefer to hide them, remove them or flatten them down against the rest of the hair.  But the strands don't seem to be separate objects that I can select.  Can anyone please suggest a way to hide them in Daz, so I don't have to mess about trying to edit them out of the rendered image?

Most Hairs have some movements or adjustments in the parameter tab, if that doesn't help go to the durfaces tab of the hair.

If the outer hairs that bother you are listed separately in the surface tab of the hair you can dial their opacity to zero. Other than that I once applied a d-former to the hair to get it looking heavier, but its has the disadventage that it can be shoved into the head by that

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Another method is to select the hair, then use the Tools (pull down) - Geometry Editor - right mouse to bring up menu,

here you can change the Selection Mode use Drag to be accurate or Marquee or Lasso for larger selections.

Select the fly aways, right click again Geometry Visibility  - Hide selected polygons.

This, though, is not very permanent, as next time you load the scene the polys are back.

• If that works for you and you want it more permanent

Use the same method to select the flyaways but instead of hiding the polygons, using the right mouse menu choose Geometry Assignment and Create Surface

Give the new surface a name then assign the selection to that new surface.

If you "save as" that hair (or anything) as a "Wearable Preset" then when you load that hair from the saved location (usually My Library - Presets - Wearables)

you will still have that surface to hide using the "Opacity Strength" slider under surfaces tab.

Note - when using the selection tools the Drag Selection only selects the surface polygone, you have to hide them to select the ones behind them. 

The Marquee and Lasso selection tool select all through (front to back) so you may hide polys that you wanted.

• Thanks for the suggestions.  I can't try them out yet, the machine with DS and Nvidia graphics has been 'hijacked' to play FIFA of all things!  Looks like house rules need some clarification...!  I will give them a whirl once the final whistle has been blown.