Lighting Question

So I did my first complete render (nothing fancy) and used one of the pre programmed scene lights (since I haven't had a chance to really figure out exacty how all of that works just yet).  Is it normal

for the finished render to be so much darker than what i see when I am working on a scene?  How far into the render can you begin to tell if its too dark, too light or whatever?

Comments

• So I did my first complete render (nothing fancy) and used one of the pre programmed scene lights (since I haven't had a chance to really figure out exacty how all of that works just yet).  Is it normal

for the finished render to be so much darker than what i see when I am working on a scene?  How far into the render can you begin to tell if its too dark, too light or whatever?

What you are seeing in the Viewport is produced by your graphics card using OpenGl, a render will give completely different results, but you should knpow fairly quickly what the lighting level will be in the finished image..

It is always a good idea to mention what render engine you are using, in the case of DAZ Studio it is either 3Delight or Iray, and are you using DAZ Studio?

• Yes Daz Studio and Iray.  I believe its set to Iray by default and since I am totally new I haven't touched any of that lol.  Well that's going to be interesting to figure out.  So I will just need to hit render whenever I want to check the lighting to get some kind of an idea of what is actually going to happen when it renders.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

What do you mean by "pre programmed scene lights?" How specifically are you loading lights into the scene? You want to be sure you load Iray lights, not lights or light scenes designed for the 3Delight renderer. (Same applies if you have lights for Poser.)

• Its one of the lighting for a scene.  I will have to go look and see which one but it came with the Daz studio in one of the tutorials

• I just clicked on the icon and it loaded six lights for me

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Then this light set may or may not be for Iray. It's important to be specific here, because Daz Studio supports two renderers, and has separate content for them. While it won't blow up Daz Studio, the results may not be predictable when you use lights meant for the 3Delight renderer.

You should try a simple scene using just the sun/sky or Environment dome for the lighting. This will get your feet wet, and you're sure to be using lights meant for Iray. From there, you can add Iray-based lights from the Create menu, but these aren't exactly point-and-shoot solutions. Other threads here detail setting up and using these lights.

• Okay thank you!   I have lots of reading to do and also have some tutorials from Daz on various things like cameras, lighting, posing etc. I found under the videos.What I have is still workable since I am planning on doing quite a bit of post work in Photo shop as well so I can work around my learning curve such as it is.  Appreciate the help and and I will make sure to give you suggestions a try as well as pay close attention to which system the lights are made for

• Your not you

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Your not you

I wonder who I am then...surprise

• laugh haha I don't know!  Maybe I'm not me either! 

• If you did some of the Interactive Lessons, probably you loaded the Render Presets too. I don´t think all those Lessons got an update for Iray. So maybe the Render Presets switched the Engine over to 3Delight.

You can check your Render Engine in the Render Settings Tab.

• Thank you!  I will checkthat as well.  So much to learn and remember!  Thank you everyone for your patience and willingness to help.