How to bulk import .obj/.mtl files to content library?

I'm not a very sophisticated DAZ user (been using on and off for many years, but just starting to dive into the complexities of the content library), but I have lots of .obj files exported from way too many sources. I can import them and place them in a scene just fine, but if they aren't in the content library I wind up with a sixth(1) inventory to look though when considering what to use.

The only plan I know of is to import each obj (and its associated mtl if there is one, or manyally assign textures if I need to), scale it appropriately if I didn't get the scaling right on imput, set it on the floor and at the origin (unless I *want* it coming in elsewhere, like a hat prop), "frame" the target with the move-camera-to-frame-target button, and Save As as a Scene Subset. At that point I can archive my objs back to offline storage and everything is great.

Except for how long it takes. Even if I have the scaling worked out (so I can skip worrying about that) and if I'm willing to forego centering and dropping to the floor and framing, the import (which has a dialog) and the export (with another dialog) is a PITA for 20+ in a group over even a few dozens of groups.

Normally I'd write a quick sript to automate something like this. But an even better answer would be finding someone else has written a script. Or even it being somewhere in the GUI and I just haven't seen it.

So: Is there a better solution? Am I doing it wrong? Is there an "import objs" command somewhere? A script in some online repository I can't find? Reading the docs makes me think doing this in DAZ scripting is not as trivial as I'd hope (largely around supressing/configuring the interstitial dialogs and enumerating directories, although it looks tractable).

Thanks for any help!

----

1) Content Library DAZ-style inventory, Content Library Poser runtime(s), Categories, Products, Smart Content (when it works), and some external database of .objs. Plus two types on search in the content library, with what appears to be oddly different semantics.

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

In Studio's Content Directory Manager add the folder that contains the object format files under Other Formats.

• SethMSethM Posts: 65

Fabulous! Thank you! I'll still want to make converted DUFs for items I plan to use a lot (saving the import scale and getting a reference image) and this even makes that easier.

I had always wondered what the "other formats" section was for. I had assumed it was for plugins of some sort (and couldn't find anything in the docs to help).

Thanks again!