Can't Use GPU in Reality 4.1

Does anyone no why I can't seem to use my GPU for rendering in reality 4.1? I am using Luxrender 1.5 Open CL and I have a GTX 970 4gb card. It won't even load a simple figer and all I get is a black screen or a crash. In the previous version or Reality I was able to use the GPU.

Comments

• Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
    edited September 2015

Nevermind, I figured out the problem! For some reason, you can't use the GPU and load just any image or HDR for lighting.

Post edited by Richard John S on
  • SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924

Care to explain?  I'm having the same problem. I'm using the Reality default HDR light and getting a black screen and eventually a crash if I stop the render.  CPU render does work fine.

• You have to wait a few moments. With my notebook I saw the picture after 2-3 minutes. Before the picture was displayed I saw also a black screen.
    But I gave the render the time he needed.
    Sorry for my bad english, it is not my mother tongue.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Did what Simon said. I waited five minutes and still black screen. The render can be stopped, but Lux refuses to shutdown normally, and has to be force quit in the process list.

My scene was pretty simple, with just the default HDRi. Maybe I should try something else for the light.

• Richard John SRichard John S Posts: 389
    edited September 2015

Hey Guys, what you have to do is make sure the actual HDR file is not too large. For some reason the new Luxrender 1.5 and Reality 4.1 (one of the two) cannot load large HDR files. I was able to do it in the previous version which is kinda wierd. Here are my settings:

- Open CL rendering
    - Disabled CPU and Only GPU Rendering (The CPU is not gonna be much help compared to a good GPU even with the acceleration, keep the CPU for your system. I do this with Iray too)
    - Camera and Light passes are set to 16
    - Light Strategy is set to to all
    - Type is Bidirectional
    - Open CL is set to 64
    - MAKE SURE the hdr image is set not to large in size, or use mesh lights instead, they work perfectly

Below is a test image (1045 by 860) I rendered in about 6 minutes with the GTX 970 and no CPU processing with the above settings. It is a little over 1000 SP. I hope this helps!

@Tobor, the default Reality lights should work. Try the settings I stated above. *Be sure to disable CPU, that may be a factor. I am only using GPU.

Reality Test.jpg
    1045 x 860 - 80K
    Post edited by Richard John S on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

There is a benchmark you can download that will test the performance of each configuration (CPU only , GPU only, CPU+GPU) and give you a report.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark

This is the Luxmark benchmark we have all read about on the various hardware testing sites.