TangoAlpha's 'Hemlock Folly' now in Daz store

Somebody better tell Tim that some shyster named TangoAlpha stole his awesome tower scene and is selling it in the Daz store!  Outrageous acts of villany! 

:)  Just thought I'd say 'congrats' at the fact this excellent landscape/tower scene is now finally live.  It really is 'howie' quality, and he even made it so it looked great in Studio too (only heaven knows how that's possible).  Excellent work and I'm happy to finally see it go live, congratulations!

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Thanks Jon. It's brought to you by love, hate, swearing, despair, late nights, sheer bloody mindedness, the number 7 and the letter Q. wink

As for looking good in Studio, the word is, "instances". Not up to the level of Carrara's surface replicator, but you can still do a lot with them smiley

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great job, Tim.  I'm glad that you persevered.  There are so many excellent pieces (trees, etc.) that a person can use separately in other scenes.  As a stand-alone, the set has many different "staging" areas.  For those considering the product, it is not just the tower.  There is a water area, a bridge area, a tree/road area, and more.  Here is a capture of the aerial view of the Assemble room on default load.  In addition to these outdoor settings, the tower detail offers a variety of terrific indoor areas, such as a room with arched windows, staircases, and more.  Congrats.

aerial cam view.JPG
    1223 x 766 - 175K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967

Looks to be very nice, just grabbed it :)

I'm looking forward to seeing a few renders that I didn't do myself (IYSWIM) . . . smiley

Here's one I played around with a little in post. I was trying to go for the hand-coloured B&W postcard look from the 1930s.  The "Trees North" replicator (on the right) is turned off, "Extenson Trees" West and North are on, and a bit of extra stuff so the track disappears into darkness. Lighting is an HDRI (Skies of Economy) and a single distant light from the south east with soft shadows set to 50ft. "Sky Light" mode.

Don't forget, you can add your own plants etc to the replicators. Merlin did a nice hedgerow vignette quite recently with a good selection of flowers etc. that work well in combination.

CA-Track-man-lo-sat.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225

Although I am loath to spend any money here at DAZ, my desire to support Carrara content producers compels me to purchase your product.

The set looks to be very excellent and flexible with a lot of useable separate elements and I am sure it will provide some wonderful learning opportunities as well.

Thanks for all your hard work and perseverance.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2015

I'm playing with this right now and so far it is every bit as cool as I thought it would be.  

I do have one comment, which is not a big deal, just kind of a pet peeve of mine: the scenes install to Scenes/Hemlock Folly, but the trees install to Presets/Plants/TangoAlpha...I just wish that the folder naming was consistent, either both under Hemlock Folly or both under TangoAlpha.  To balance out that very minor complaint, here's a compliment: when rendering with the render settings the scene loads with.. WOW! this renders fast!  Way faster than I expected - really nice job on optimising this set. smiley

Hemlock Folly Test Render

HemlockFollyTest.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 466K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Looks like I'll have to add this to my wish list! Congratulations!
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Whoosh, through my cart. Hope to get to play this weekend. Looks like the only thing missing from this set is the kitchen sink!!

• damn thing fell in my cart too

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Congrats Tim :)

Nice work

• Tim, you've spent so much time, blood, sweat and tears building this thing, and making it compatible with Studio, don't forget to promote the hell out of it in the Commons or the Commercial Products/PA thread!
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

well, you wouldn't believe it!

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,615

I just bought this and I'm really impressed, it is a wonderful product! It's got so much variety with all the areas around the tower and the tower interior as well. And it all renders beautifully, the attention to detail is superb.

I've been playing with the Carrara version a bit. I'll have a look at the Daz Studio version some time but I'm having too much fun with Carrara for now.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited September 2015

Nice work Tim, thanks for the hard work, looking forward to working with it.

Very rare I buy anything from Daz now,  but made an exception ;)

cheers :)

Post edited by Headwax on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited September 2015

I honestly never expected it to open as is in Octane, OK did delete fake GI and lights but otherwise except for render size straight out the box instant render (10 samples direct lighting here)

Hemlock Folly0000.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Looks great Wendy, love the video smiley

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,341
    edited September 2015

Tim

Very nice item, hope you consider making more.

Regards, Bunyip

Hemlock Folly.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 966K
    Hemlock Folly2.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 867K
    Hemlock Folly2.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 867K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on