Using reality 2.1 on this image. How would you reduce the noise?

MeatHead_2010MeatHead_2010 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I got reality 2.1 and am working on an image which is incomplete but was doing some test renders for it.
The image is shown here.

Its not fully done but I did leave a version of it going for 8 hours yesterday but I forgot to save it so lost it. What happened with that one was there was still noise at the end of that time so I figured as this is the same pic it would also end up with noise too so I want to find out from experienced users how you would set up lighting in this pic so there was little or no noise? I am really tyrying to find some techniques here and need people to tell me what THEY would do so I can work with it. So what would you do with this pic example to rid it of noise?

I made this just using Daz 3 by the way and of course Reality 2. Nothing else.

Thx.

ds-Point_Lights.jpg
800 x 600 - 51K

Comments

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,064
    edited August 2012

Are you asking for a render setting fix or postwork fix? Personally, Stuff like that is easier fixed in postwork. Having to re-render is such an inconvenience and a lot of time.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • edited December 1969

I don't actually use Reality at the moment, but there's a tutorial on the Preta3D site that deals with this. It has to do with the placement of lights. Postwork is a good idea too.

• MeatHead_2010MeatHead_2010 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

How would you edit it postwork? what program? I don't get how you could really do that?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You would use Photoshop or similar (Paint Shop Pro, Gimp etc).

I found a link to this tutorial on the web, it may be some help:

http://www.rozengain.com/blog/2012/02/14/removing-fireflies-rendering-artefacts-from-blender-cycles-renders-with-photoshop/

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Also, saying it rendered for eight hours is not very meaningful. What matters is how many S/p it got to. This will depend on the speed of your CPU, the lights you've used, the material types used in the scene, etc. If it ran for eight hours and was still only at a couple hundred S/p, it was nowhere near done.

As already mentioned, lighting (or more specifically, the lack-thereof) is one of the biggest influencers of noise. Material types also have a big effect (it takes much longer for volumetrics like "hyper-realistic" glass (Reality's "friendly" name for a glass2 clear volume) to clear up, for example).

• Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You haven't got enough light. Try adding a large area light (3m x 5m) behind your camera thats half the output of your main light . Then adjust the exposure in Lux to suit.

I don't know the output of your main light, so 'half the output' is just my rough guess

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

I recommend posting in the Realitiy thread here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/289/ - next time so you can get immediate help from fellow Reality and Lux users.

That being said, in regards to fireflies in your render, my first though is to go through your list of surfaces and items like the walls, the shirt, the sheets and some other things that do NOT need to be set to Glossy, cause they are not glossy in real life, can be set to Matte instead and this will greatly reduce the effect.

Also, exactly what version of Reality and what version of Lux Render are you using?

• MeatHead_2010MeatHead_2010 Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Thx all for your great replies but I think I should had just asked this at the beginning:

what causes noise?

what is the basic solution?

also meant to add: when you actually render the image from daz it can take quite a while until you see the effects of noise. Is there a simpler way of seeing the effect of the noise before rendering? otherwise its pretty inconvenient waiting hours each time for it to render to see what noise to edit out next.

pls give most basic answers here.

Post edited by MeatHead_2010 on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Number 1 cause of noise: improper lighting, most specifically, the lack of lighting
    Number 2 cause of noise: off-the-charts specularity. and/or pure-white diffuse

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on