Creating a favorites folder?

Started using Daz last month and I'm really enjoying it -- so much that I now have a pretty messy Content Library with folders and subfolders. Is there a way to organize it manually? For instance if I wanted a "Favorite Poses folder", "Favorite Hair" folder, so on?

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

You could reorganize it manually. However if you use the DIM (download install manager) I don't know how it would react. I don't use the DIM.

I manually sort my content to make it easier to find stuff. There are some rules though. For the most part Daz content can be organized how you want, but some folders you shouldn't touch. There is a Data folder, Don't touch it.

Let's assume you mostly use Genesis stuff. That stuff is in your Daz portion of your library.  (older stuff, like V4 and M4 are considered native for Poser and are in the poser content folders).

For example

...\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\People\Genesis 3 Female\Poses

You can Make a sub folder favories, or action, or anime or whatever. Toss what you want in there.

...\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\People\Genesis 3 Female\Poses\Action

You will have no problem. You can do the same for clothes if you like.

It's a little different for that legacy poser content, but if you only use Daz Studio, you can reorganize the poser stuff too. There is a Runtime folder and that is where all the poser compatible content is(as well as bits of modern stuff). And inside that there is Geometries and textures. Don't move those. You will break links to content if you do.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • JeremyD said:

Started using Daz last month and I'm really enjoying it -- so much that I now have a pretty messy Content Library with folders and subfolders. Is there a way to organize it manually? For instance if I wanted a "Favorite Poses folder", "Favorite Hair" folder, so on?

You could also take a look at this, for creating your own Categories.   It doesn't move anything on the disk, so you can't mess up the folder paths, but it may make things easier for you.

Creating new Categories by AdamR
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_nnPf8nCcc4

• ahh cool Iarsmidnatt beat me to replying . . good thing I'm terrible at explaining wink. I also manual load new content, rarely I'll use the DIM, and most times if I do I end up moving manually afterwards 

only place I had not create a sub folder for is Data or Geometries , the daz side is pretty good for me, not many sub folders created there, except for my saved scenes and presets .

in the runtime folder that's a different story,  I had to make sub folders , too much in one folder looking for one item or item type. if I wanted the folder up top, so it's a first folder I see, I added !! in front of the name of the folder, course I could had just used numeral 1 then the name

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. 

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015
    XaatXuun said:

ahh cool Iarsmidnatt beat me to replying . . good thing I'm terrible at explaining wink. I also manual load new content, rarely I'll use the DIM, and most times if I do I end up moving manually afterwards 

only place I had not create a sub folder for is Data or Geometries , the daz side is pretty good for me, not many sub folders created there, except for my saved scenes and presets .

in the runtime folder that's a different story,  I had to make sub folders , too much in one folder looking for one item or item type. if I wanted the folder up top, so it's a first folder I see, I added !! in front of the name of the folder, course I could had just used numeral 1 then the name

yeah I have my named folders with ! in the front too. that way when new stuff gets installed i can see it if I missed it during the install.

The Genesis/Daz folders are pretty clean but I still sort my clothes because it's overwhelming otherwise.

For the legacy poser stuff, it's borderline insane to use unless you sort it manually. I did a decent job of organizing that, but it took a long time and i did it in pieces over the course of months I think.

Glad we could help Jeremy.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited September 2015

This is what I do. http://silverriverart.deviantart.com/favourites/59084879/Tutorials I have a strong need to be organized and the way that content is distributed especially freebies and things from other sites was driving me insane.  So glad I figured this out before I got too far along.  note, you need to load them to your main directory FIRST- the data runtime etc.  THEN you can copy the relevent stuff to the folder.  I do hair, clothing props poses morphs.  But you can of course set it up any way you want to.  And I also use the ! in front of the folder name.  Although I don't know how to download the content from the DAZ site itself without using the installer.  I'm sure its super simple I just haven't really looked.  Truth be told I've been too busy shopping lol

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • http://silverriverart.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Installing-Content-in-DAZ-Studio-508155677 here is the link directly to the tut sorry!  Ignore the one to my deviant art page

• XaatXuunXaatXuun Posts: 873
    edited September 2015

Although I don't know how to download the content from the DAZ site itself without using the installer.  I'm sure its super simple I just haven't really looked.  Truth be told I've been too busy shopping lol

it is simple, from your account order page and all you need to look for is the manual download button, not the Installer Button, then just go to your download folder where the zip is , and do your unzipping

Manual DNload.JPG
    949 x 214 - 21K
    Post edited by XaatXuun on
  • Thank you!  I have been down with a terrible head cold and have spent the last three nights after work curled up in bed with the laptop so my brain just isn't processing the obvious lol.  Although it doesn't seem to affect my shopping skills.  sadly...