(commercial) Desert Cacti and Joshua Trees (released)

MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 325

This great budle of high resolution Desert Cacti and Joshua Trees is the perfect way to populate your desert renders with detailed plants, and the perfect complement to the Ultrascenery Desert Botanica Bundle!

Featuring high resolution versions of the Barrel Cacti and Pipe Cacti (both with flowers - or not)  as well as the addition of some high resolution Joshua Trees which are a great addition to forgrounds of individual placement in your desert scenes! 

Post edited by Martinjfrost on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,153
    edited May 2023

Here is an UltraScenery desert scene where I added some of the cacti from this product.
    I changed the color of the USC cacti to better blend with these high resolution ones. The color differences surprised me. But now that I've noticed it my renders, I can see it in the promos, too, so I shoudn't have been surprised.

USC Desert 3 Extra Cacti.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 325

There are some alt usc mats provided which are as close as i could get to the ultrascnery plant mats but bear in mind resolution , numbers of spines and the fact that these cacti have some sub surface scattering where ultrascnery does not do that, mean that they will look a little differnet ;-the way ultrascenery handels plant textures is different to just plain ol ds so some adjustment may be needed depending on lighting.

Thanks for the explanation. UltraScenery plants in general often look more yellow than I prefer, so I just changed the base color to make them a bit greener. I live in Florida, so I am not an expert on cactus colors at all. I'm probably influenced by the lush green I see all around me here.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,745

@barbult, think back to the muted, grey decorating colors of the 80s. Even though I had lived off and on in the Mojave Desert since the 1950s, when I was first stationed at Edwards AFB in 1982, I thought we had been transported to an alien landscape. Many of the newly arrive personnel experience the same reaction.

Dry, packed earth; dry river beds, greyed out weeds, greenery of any native plants, cactus and then the shock of their vibrant flowers if other than white.

That is why the Super Bloom of the flowers is so remarkable this year. The seeds lay dormant and then, with a massive rainfall bloom. (So do the prehistoric shrimp in the lake beds, who live & die and stink up the place terribly.)

But eventually, your eye starts to see the subtle colors in the greyed out and muted olives, sage, mesquite and browns of the earth and stone against a clear, deep blue sky. And you are at home. If you can deal with the trantulas, brown recluse, black widows... and 105 F temps at 9am. But it is a dry heat.

On the flip side, other than living in Taiwan for six months, I have never been to a tropical climate. So the jungle ecologies are foriegn to me and to be honest, creep me out. Bugs! Humidity! Had a bit too much of that. And I admire your renders, but would not have a clue how to put one together realistically.

Mary

That's interesting, Mary.