Adding lights to light props

I have most of the West Park collection and want to add lighting to them. Most of the scenes are dark with your typical (bad) fluorescent lights in them. Which is perfect for rendering horror scenes. wink Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction - to learn how to add a DAZ light to a light fixture in the scene and make it look like 'bad' fluorescent lighting? In 3delight of course. 

Thanks in advance. I haven't posted much over the years but have learned a lot from people here in the forums. yes

Comments

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    edited September 2015

Most of the 3Delight scenes I've seen with this type of lighting seem to use strategically placed point lights to get the effect you're after, using a couple at varying intensities would probably achieve it. It's been a while since I used 3Delight now (still do use on occassion!) So someone with more 3Delight experience may have a better solution.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Point light will be the quickest to render but if you don't mind the wait Area lighting http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/ directly on the tubes might serve you well.

• I'll give both a shot.

Thx KA1 and Szark.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

When I first started messing with the west park stuff, I actually went through and created primitive cylinders that I shrank and stretched then placed over the florescent lights. I could then set the surface color to whatever I wanted (white for new, dingy yellow for old, etc.) (I didn't know much about messing with textured objects back then) and add the uber area light to the primitive and voi-la, florescent lighting LOL.

• Szark said:

Point light will be the quickest to render but if you don't mind the wait Area lighting http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14536/ directly on the tubes might serve you well.

Considering how grungy most of the light covers are, maybe an adjustment of the transparency value, or applying the light to the cover instead of the tubes, would give the scene a better light quality? I've tried a few times making the tubes themselves light emitters, with usually not so great results, unless I turn up the light values to the point where the light fittings are blown out and much too bright.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

When I first started messing with the west park stuff, I actually went through and created primitive cylinders that I shrank and stretched then placed over the florescent lights. I could then set the surface color to whatever I wanted (white for new, dingy yellow for old, etc.) (I didn't know much about messing with textured objects back then) and add the uber area light to the primitive and voi-la, florescent lighting LOL.

you can use maps provided and Area lighting. No need to make primitives. Also when using Primitives and Area Lighting the least amount of ploys is better and Jack models with efficiency in mind. SpottedKity has a point about the covers but it will work but you do have to crank up the intensity a bit more to compensate.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

Yeah. Once I learned how to work with surfaces a bit more, I started using ambiant lighting and uber area base a bit more.

Early work used primitives