can someone walk me through shader mixer?

Very new to it. So I have a surface with shader applied , open shader mixer. I try 'import from surface,' select Material... and absolutely nothing happens. What am I missing?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Make sure you have the surface selected that you want to import the shader mixer from.

Not all shaders can be imported into the Shader mixer, maybe try a differen shader that you know should workl

If it matter, which shader, which preset, what are you applying it to?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I was trying to edit the dzToon shader to add tiling options for the various channels.

I just tried same with omUbersurface, and... same thing. I click 'import surface,' it prompts me for type, I select Material, and... bupkis.

Kerya: Apparently I already have that, but I have no idea where the documentation is.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Always start with the YouTube videos by carnite (Caroline). She speaks quickly but expertly, and you may need to rewatch it several times to get it all in. Some may be older and refer to menu commands that have been moved or renamed, but they're among the best out there, and of course free.

Another one by her on the Shader Mixr, this one talking about catching shadows to integrate 3D characters onto background photos:

I appreciate the tips, thank you!

I have an extreme aversion to video tutorials, video blogs, and all of that, so I'll just... muddle.

• UberSurface is not a Shader Mixer shader, it will not import.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

I have an extreme aversion to video tutorials, video blogs, and all of that, so I'll just... muddle.

You really must try carnite's videos. They go by so fast you'll be stopping the playback to catch up. Normally I don't prefer video tutorials as they ramble and take forever to say something simple. These are different. 

That is encouraging, because... yeah, my aversion is caused by way too many '2 minutes of material spread over an hour of rambling and stammering and repetition'