Physically impossible clothes

lachilachi Posts: 74
edited May 2023 in Art Studio

Often I see clothes in the shop and in the gallery which are physically impossible and it bugs me immensly.

Here are some examples:

Is this a general problem of the technology behind DAZ Studio?

physicallyimpossible.png
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095
    edited May 2023

Well, you could say that ALL 3d clothing is physically impossible, as it is not based on real physics. That's what dforce and other physics simulations are for.

Post edited by 3WC on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793
    edited May 2023

I would not say it's a 'bug' or a 'problem'... it is a 'feature' comes from Auto Follow of body morphs and JCMs, so to speak... All of such 'deformations' could've be well fixed by the PA or by users.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093

Moved to Art Studio as it is not a Daz Studio application topic.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093

crosswind said:

I would not say it's a 'bug' or a 'problem'... it is a 'feature' comes from Auto Follow of body morphs and JCMs, so to speak... All of such 'deformations' could've be well fixed by the PA or by users.

Not really, it is however true that the further the cloth is from the skin the more adjustment the weight mapping will require and the morre corrective morphs will be needed. These things do irritate me, and lead to my not purchasing items I might otherwise have bought, but avoiding them would make the content creators' jobs much harder and so would probably push prices up (or limit the number of items made).

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793
    edited May 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

Not really, it is however true that the further the cloth is from the skin the more adjustment the weight mapping will require and the morre corrective morphs will be needed. These things do irritate me, and lead to my not purchasing items I might otherwise have bought, but avoiding them would make the content creators' jobs much harder and so would probably push prices up (or limit the number of items made).

Yup, I understand your PoV... Though I said 'could've', I myself are quite used to all these things... There's no 100% perfect product, so most of the time I will choose what I really need. If literally it's a piece of product that I really need, I'll ignore those 'visible flaws' as I can fix them by myself. Excessive demands sometimes will lead me to 'not Happy Rendering'... devil

Post edited by crosswind on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,375

physically inaccurate would be the more accurate description. BUT  It is due the requirements for rigging and conforming clothing.  It is a necessary tradeoff for all the functionality with the DazStudio system. 

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,030
    edited May 2023

@FirstBastion - you used the perfect word: tradeoff.  In general the PAs do an amazing job at that tradeoff - anyone who has attempted the daunting task of weightmapping and creating joint control morphs to get garments to work across character appreciates what we do have available and the quality some PAs create.  

FirstBastion said:

physically inaccurate would be the more accurate description. BUT  It is due the requirements for rigging and conforming clothing.  It is a necessary tradeoff for all the functionality with the DazStudio system. 

Of course dForce can help if the garment is made for it or is simple enough, and I've gone the expensive Marvelous Design route (examples in my gallery) because @lachi, like you, ill fitting clothes make me crazy.

lachi said: Often I see clothes in the shop and in the gallery which are physically impossible and it bugs me immensly.

Post edited by bohemian3 on
  • Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 197

Nothing's Impossible.

https://vimeo.com/827073829

• lachilachi Posts: 74

crosswind said:

... I'll ignore those 'visible flaws' as I can fix them by myself. Excessive demands sometimes will lead me to 'not Happy Rendering'... devil

I tried to fix cloths and I was somewhat successful on a bed sheet but not with straps.
    What are the best ways to fix it? 

BTW: I love to use camera magic to have several cameras and poses on the same scene and I found out that for example mesh grabber does not work with camera magic.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,249

if this annoys you, just use marvelous designer

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,389

lilweep said:

That is very expensive advice, methinks, and also probably not something the average user is prepared to learn (or buy). Instead, the OP could figure out some basics in Hexagon which comes free with DS, and then simply adjust the offending polygons by hand. Usually works fine for me, although it's not very sophisticated of course. I stand in awe of the Marvelous Designer users, but for little everyday-casual-DAZzing-me, Hexagon does the job well enough. 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,249

tsroemi said:

lilweep said:

That is very expensive advice, methinks, and also probably not something the average user is prepared to learn (or buy). Instead, the OP could figure out some basics in Hexagon which comes free with DS, and then simply adjust the offending polygons by hand. Usually works fine for me, although it's not very sophisticated of course. I stand in awe of the Marvelous Designer users, but for little everyday-casual-DAZzing-me, Hexagon does the job well enough. 

Hexagon? In 2023? 

While MD is expensive, many daz users will spend a fortune on clothing in a year, so for those people, getting a subscription to MD and then just buying cheap MD clothing off Artstation may make sense.  The user ultimately needs to do cost benefit analysis.

MD offers free 1 month trial.  Clo3d also offers 1 month free trial. They are functionally the same software so users can basically use the software for 2 months for free to see if its worth continuing and if the workflow is easy enough for them. 

• junkjunk Posts: 1,241
    edited May 2023

I personally use Mesh Grabber as a plugin for Daz Studio and with that you could pull out the dress strap that is clinging to the body. Once you get comfortable with the product you can make most clothing problems go away in one way or another.

There is a learning curve but I was determined to "fix" problems within the software rather than export it to a secondary program. It can't fix everything but you start to find other ways around a problem as you get better with it. I personally use it with most every single image I create. I just forget to credit the software often.

As an example in my last image of "Forbidden Planet", I used mesh grabber to pull the dress up high enough to see the girls underwear like in the original poster for the movie. I then used mesh grabber to pull the dress around the chest areas since skin was poking through in various parts.

Again it takes time to get good with the tool but it truly is my favorite plugin.

Post edited by junk on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,792

"Straps over pecs" is one of DAZ Studio's great achilles' heels crying

If the garment is dForcable, you can try and have your character "grow into" the garment. Apply morphs like emaciated and breasts gone. Then have those morphs disappear over the course of the dForce animation. It's not a silver bullet but it helps sometimes.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5506251/#Comment_5506251

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

lachi said:

I tried to fix cloths and I was somewhat successful on a bed sheet but not with straps.
    What are the best ways to fix it? 

BTW: I love to use camera magic to have several cameras and poses on the same scene and I found out that for example mesh grabber does not work with camera magic.

Maybe save it out as a morph then apply the morph and try it that way?  

• Causam3DCausam3D Posts: 197

lilweep said:

Or learn Blender.  And mesh.  And dForce.  Marvelous designer isn't bad but it is expensive.  Personally I find that designing clothing from the beginning with dForce and breasts in mind yields great results.  But, to be fair to the original poster, if you are not a clothing designer and just want to use clothes that fit right, you're in a minefield.  I think too many designers are still in the mindset that existed before cloth physics.  

A tip though: Blender is free, and if you get your pose set up and then export the garment into Blender, you can use the sculpt tool to smooth that stuff out then reimport it into your scene and copy the materials over onto it.  This is not a terribly difficult thing to do even if you don't know Blender.  You can learn that part of it.  But I understand that people who want to just render and make art shouldn't need to do it.  At some point, this will all be a thing of the past. 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,375

Also remember that some PAs provide corrective  adjustment morphs to deal with straps,  lokk through the list and see if theyare available for a particular outfit.