Rendering speeds

Hi as the title says I'm enquiring about the rendering speed on daz3d

You see I have a pretty decent graphic card and a good quad core processor and yet it takes forever to do a simple 900frames animation, it's alright with no lights but the sec I put lighting of any sort on everything goes slow iray,3ddelight even reality 4 is there something I'm doing wrong or are there options I can tweek so as to get the good quality but not take days and days to finish

any help would be welcomed on this matter

and if it helps I have an amd 3.6quad core a nvidia 750 gtx 2gb card and 16-18 gb of ram

Comments

• 900 frames = 900 seperate renders, there is no way of speeding that up that I know of.      You are probably not doing anything wrong, to get a decent render takes time.   You might be able to use the OpenGL options which is baiscally what you see in the Viewport.

• A quad core processor isn't state of the art any more, and the nVidia card isn't going to make that much difference where it can contribute (the 2GB RAM is going to limit that), but the main issue is that you are doing 900 frames - animations are generally rendered on farms of many computers because the process is always slow. There may be things you can do to reduce the time taken for each frame - you probably don't need still-image quality - but it's going to take a while regardless. One obvious thing to do is to render batches of frames while you aren't using the machine, or lower the priority of the process or the affinity (number of cores used) in the Windows Task Manager (right-click on the DS entry in the Processes tab) and let it render in the background while you do other non-demanding tasks on the machine, then assemble the frames into the animation at the end (this is good practice anyway).

• There are faster render solutions you could use...but they cost money and would take time to learn and set up your work in.

You could learn how to optimize your scenes so they require less time to render. There usually is some level of tweaking you can do before it impacts the visuals noticably. But at some point you will have to choose to reduce the quality or effects.

And as others have said, your machine is solid, but for rendering is not considered powerful. Rendering 3D animations is still going to be the most resource intensive activity users can do on there personal computer (and encoding 4K video). Takes much more resources than rendering games.

• tring01tring01 Posts: 305

Near as I can tell there is no solution available to render high quality animation on consumer grade hardware.  I read a post to the effect that every frame of a recent animated Disney film would have taken 30 days to render on the best consumer level computer.  The big studios handle this with different software and huge render farms of high end commercial machines.

I put up a post here about how to optimize IRay renders for animation.  I've gotten frames to render in under 2 minutes on my laptop for one animation I was working on - not at high quality but very acceptable at 720p on YouTube.  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/900960/#Comment_900960

Hope that helps.  And yes, my project was 1:30 at 24 frames per second.  That's a minimum of 2160 frames (a lot more than that really since you need to make cuts), That's a minimum 72 hours of rendering time.  I had my laptop screaming away, fans going full tilt, for the best part of a week.  Unfortunately I did such a bad job framing the shots that the end product was awful.  Not due to IRay, but due to my lousey cinematography.  I'm working on getting that part of my skill set up to speed now.  Creating good animation involves learning a LOT of different skills.

• Good animation is a lot of skills you either split up with team members or take the time to slowly build up. Lighting, materials, setting up frames, body animation, expressions and all the technical stuff involved is not something that one learns overnight.

• geoff6geoff6 Posts: 250

Hear, hear! to larsmidnatt's last comment but this has been one of the most useful threads I have read as it has finally brought into context all of the issues I have with rendering animations and Iray in particular. I thought it was just me but I have an i5 with loads of RAM and an asus 950 gpu and 2 mins per frame is about the best I have achieved in Iray and that was just a test with a car, a figure and no background! At least now I know that I need to concentrate on the image and can't do much more about the computer.

I do have a question though... While rendering, Daz saves stuff off to a temp file as I understand it, so does the HD speed have any effect on performance here? Would an SSD make a difference?

Thanks in advance,

G

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

I see you saw your answer elsewhere. But for others No. The HD isn't important for this type of work. When compositing that final Video however HD performance can play a factor so it's not uncommon for studios to use raids to have video programs run faster. But for 3D rendering it's no biggie.

If you have ever scrubbed through a sequence of stills and noticed it was slow to keep up, you will know what I mean.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on