Three -noob- questions about iRay

tonaztonaz Posts: 6

Hello Daz Community!

I would like to ask some help with three things, I've searched around with no luck:

1. How do I get rid of the little grain points?

2. How do I get rid of the white square shape of the spotlight? (You can see it reflected on the mirror in the background and on the parquet)

3. How do I get faster (but lower quality ofcourse) iRay renders?

Render in attach. Thanks in advance!

Post edited by tonaz on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

more light = less grain. (notice how the best lit part is not grainy?)

More rendering time = less grain.

To speed up the render, use more lights. To my knowledge the DS implementation of Iray doesn't have a ton of tricks to speed things up. Especially with the scene you used. More complex scenes can benefit from having background characters set to a lower resolution. Modern Daz figures use SubD, which is a method to smooth the mesh. It adds more geometry however, which can slow down renders.

I am not sure about your light, you will see the reflection pretty much regardless, but if you don't want to see the source of the light make sure it is not in the frame. Also I think your light is probably too bright, you need addtional lights. Like an environment light.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

For the light: Parameters>Light>RenderEmitter>off.

Faster Iray renders aren't lower quality. Get a better GPU. Must be Nvidia. for new, a least a GTX 970 w/ 4GM. GTX 980 or 980Ti is much better. More CUDA cores = faster.

As far as your noise, at least start with the Iray defaults. Iray is different from 3Delight. Think like a photographer. Otherwise I'm not really sure about the noise, I've never had noise issues once I'm above about 20%.

• tonaztonaz Posts: 6
    edited September 2015

Thanks both!

The emitter is off, weird indeed.

However the white square is not actually the emitter (that would be a black square), but the shape (point, square, cylinder, sphere...ecc).

The one you can see in the picture is the spotlight reflected by the mirror behind.

I got a i7 3770K @ 4,8GHz, 16 GB Ram XMP enabled, with a 980ti Extreme AMP!. Shoud be enough to get good renders/good speeds :)

Post edited by tonaz on
  • tonaz said:
    Shoud be enough to get good renders/good speeds :)

YW.

But keep in mind good speed varies from person to person. Iray wasn't really designed around regular consumer use. So studios and pros that use it have clusters to render on. For movies you hear how even Disney's machines can take 30 hours to render a single frame of animation for a complex scene. rare exception, but you should get an idea from this.

At least if you set stuff up OK it shouldn't take weeks for a render, which just a few years ago some people in the community were still dealing with. Hours is still the norm. But with the right set up 20 minute renders are doable.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited September 2015

The Emitter Off setting is for the direct view of the emitter from the camera. Iray assumes that if you point a light at a mirror, and take a picture of the mirror, like in real life you'll see the light. This holds true for reflections in chrome, eyes, all the usual places where you WANT to see the bounced light. I realize you're using the mirror as a light aid to reflect the spotlight, but you have to consider Iray is a physically-based render, and it's trying its best to reproduce the physics of the real world. 

I can't really tell there's a mirror behind your actor. You could likely use a different light setup without the mirror -- probably using two lights, including one behind the actor with its emitter off -- and get the same overall result. Since you're bouncing source light against fewer surfaces, your render is likely to be a bit faster. Don't expect miracles, though. You've still got a shiny floor that takes extra processing, and a very large black area behind that takes extra time to compute convergence.

Post edited by Tobor on
  • tring01tring01 Posts: 305

I put up a pretty extensive post on this thread about getting a fast IRay render for animation.  I got it down to under two minutes - but those frames were for YouTube, which eliminates a lot of the grain due to low quality video streaming.  I hope this helps:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/900960/#Comment_900960