Platinum Club Renewal

Today Daz kindly reminded me that my Platinum membership is due for renewal.

While I have subscribed to Daz for many years (more than 6 years) I am really struggling to justify membership when my primary tool is Cararra, and Daz seems to have no interest in maintaining this program.

Perhaps others can persuade me that a further investment would be worthwhile.

Scotsman

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

sorry, no persuasion from here...

discontinued mine months ago yes

• I used to be a Platinum member too. I used to buy a lot of things . My reasoning was that I might need those things for some future project of mine. All the while my runtimes became overloaded with sets, clothes, figures I never used. But no more. Now I start a project first, THEN I buy the things I need. No more money wasted.

• I also let mine expire. I tend to make what I need if I don't have it, such as simple models and the like.
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

yes I'm letting mine go in December, Daz doesnt encourage Carraraists as far as I can see

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    head wax said:

yes I'm letting mine go in December, Daz doesnt encourage Carraraists as far as I can see

+ 1

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I'm ceasing mine when it expires.

I missed it last time as it was set to automatically re occur.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Mine just expired and I did not renew.  I am not protesting or anything.  It is just that when I look at the front page of the store (for me, first 60 items), there are 25 items designed for use with G3F, which Carrara can't use without major workarounds.  There are 4 sets of Iray shaders.  Reality 4.1 for Poser is not relevant for me.  There are 10 sets/environments/props designed for Daz with no automatic Poser/Carrara materials, which again means I would have to do conversions to use.  That means that about 2/3s of the new items in the Daz store are things that would be a hassle for me to use.  I will keep buying items from the other 1/3 if I like them, and maybe 1 or 2 items from the others if I think they are worth the hassle.  I assume that the ratio of non-usable store content is going to rise as G3F replaces G2F, and when they introduce the G3Male.

Bottom line - it was not worth it for me to renew platinum club at this time.  Doesn't mean it won't be at some point in the future.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

It's been several years since i was a member of the PC,... I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything.

As EP mentions Carrara is a program where you can create your own stuff,. which makes it less reliant on purchased premade content,. and that's always been an issue for Daz/Carrara/Sales.

Daz seems to have no interest in maintaining this program

That's is a wee bit premature,.. although I agree with the "Seems to"

Some Carrara users may recal the panic which ensued after Generation 4 models were released (not working correctly in Carrara)  or...Genesis 1 was released (not working in Carrara).. or when Genesis 2 was released ( Not working correctly in Carrara).

The fact that Genesis 3 isn't currently working in Carrara, ...doesn't mean that the developers have no interest in maintaining the program.

Carrara has persistently had a lower emphasis, and lower development budget. but issues generally get resolved and updates are released.

Irrespective of further development to add support for new premade content,. Carrara remains a "Stand alone" 3D suite and doesn't require "Premade Content" to function

I do think Daz3D need to make some sort of statement about the future of Carrara in order to quell the negative speculation.

every day they don't ,.. they loose custom.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225

My subscription expires this weekend and I will NOT be renewing it.

It is quite clear to me, from the deafening silence on DAZ’s part, that they have no real interest or concern regarding the Carrara user base.

Not that this is really anything new, they have been ignoring Carrara and it’s users for an extremely long time now – when was it that DAZ stated Carrara 9 was to be released?  When was the last time that they offered a status update of any kind?

I have purchased very little from DAZ since the advent of G3, and unless there are products designed specifically for Carrara I will continue to shop everywhere else but DAZ.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    kakman said:

My subscription expires this weekend and I will NOT be renewing it.

It is quite clear to me, from the deafening silence on DAZ’s part, that they have no real interest or concern regarding the Carrara user base.

Not that this is really anything new, they have been ignoring Carrara and it’s users for an extremely long time now – when was it that DAZ stated Carrara 9 was to be released?  When was the last time that they offered a status update of any kind?

I have purchased very little from DAZ since the advent of G3, and unless there are products designed specifically for Carrara I will continue to shop everywhere else but DAZ.

I agree completely, and let my multi-year PC membership expire many months ago.  I would add that even Poser compatible products (which almost always work well in Carrara) seem to be disappearing from the DAZ site.  I have had enough trouble with DUF format in Carrara that I avoid it.  I think I already have all the old items that I might use in Carrara, so that doesn't leave much.  Thankfully, not all the sites have followed suit.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited September 2015

Steve K,

I started my PC subscription back in October 2007 and had kept it going all these years.

I have also noticed the lack of Poser compatible products (which I found to be very compatible with Carrara as well) as of late and have also experienced too many issues with the DUF format products to continue purchasing them.

As you have pointed out, there are other sites out there that have NOT followed suit and have a great many very useable products to purchase.

Post edited by kakman on
  • rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited September 2015

I am PC+ member now and have been since I came onto Carrara - Daz in January.  I think it is a great way to get started with the Daz and Carrara.

my work is video and all the daz characters are very high poly.  Eats the meomory so bad.

I used decimator for all character exports.

Since IClone has released the character creator I will probably use even fewer Daz characters.  To be very honest... Iclone clothing options for charcters basically stink.

The choices for clothing and hair are pretty terrific in Daz shop.  

The Character creator in IClone is world class awesome tool.  I am hoping there will be same ways to edit clothing from Daz shop and make it work.

I haven't bought any PC+ content for almost a month, but I am not concerned.

I do think it pays for itself. 

One suggestion... I use the 3dxhange application by Reallusion alot.  I have pipeline version so I can do import and export across many applications.

http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/character-creator/default.html

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on
  • I dropped the PC club after 8 or 9 years last spring. I have not bought a single daz product since then. I used to use Carrara exclusivly but mostly I have moved on to blender and 3d coat but occasionally I still want to use content so I open 8.5 back up.  I only visit the forums now to check out the carrara challenges and to see if Carrara 9 is out. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

I just got the 1/4ly m'ship at 30% off to get them anniversary freebies...

it is worth it if you get it at a price and there are items you don't have that can be used...

yep.. they got me!!!! devil